Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

HALOs...my own personal HELL

Go down 
+23
RT!st!C
Dartboy
AlterEgo
Hypnotiq
Shawn1112
jesse031081
ChiTownHemi
Headtripp
xegitalian19xx
Illinois Chaos
chargerchick
HiPwr
DA H.N.I.C.
Admin
HemiMag
eviltrycycle
Mad Hatter
liljoejoe54
Hoodie
kaotik29
irishrt5.7
jontoad
Iguanaman
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

HALOs...my own personal HELL - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: HALOs...my own personal HELL   HALOs...my own personal HELL - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeNovember 8th 2009, 7:59 pm

Mad Hatter wrote:
Dave, when are you gonna tackle this install? Is plcman local?

Diallo and I will figure that out. Maybe next Saturday, D? Would be nice to have them for the Unlawful Gathering.

plcman is in Florida. But he's happy to talk to anyone and help them. He's got great advice. He'll also PM you.
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

PostSubject: Re: HALOs...my own personal HELL   HALOs...my own personal HELL - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeNovember 8th 2009, 8:03 pm

I don't want to sit here and bash AAC, or Flashtech really either. If you REALLY want to know what went bad with either, PM me.

But I WILL continue to praise plcman. He is THE MAN!

BTW, he told me he's working on another regulator that will make variable voltage easy.

AND, from my talking to him, I'd recommend EVERYONE get a regulator...Flashtech or AAC. AAC rings are made to run on 12v. Put your R/T in diagnostic mode and check how many volts you're putting out when driving. Mine is 14v. Verified it with a meter. Those 2V WILL make a difference in heating up the ring. And the issue is the heating/cooling cycle repeating time after time...that will crack solder joints eventually and yo'll lose LEDs in one or groups of three.
Back to top Go down
Mad Hatter
CAMM Member
Mad Hatter

PostSubject: Re: HALOs...my own personal HELL   HALOs...my own personal HELL - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeNovember 8th 2009, 10:41 pm

Great Info. We'll see if i have mine this weekend as well.
Back to top Go down
DA H.N.I.C.
CAMM Pro
DA H.N.I.C.

PostSubject: Re: HALOs...my own personal HELL   HALOs...my own personal HELL - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeNovember 9th 2009, 8:03 am

Iguanaman wrote:
Mad Hatter wrote:

Diallo and I will figure that out. Maybe next Saturday, D? Would be nice to have them for the Unlawful Gathering.

plcman is in Florida. But he's happy to talk to anyone and help them. He's got great advice. He'll also PM you.

Damn straight they're going in Saturday!! We waited too long to get the right parts for this. The immediate look will be great, but we're looking for life longevity with these.
This Saturday at my house! The earlier, the better!!
Back to top Go down
DA H.N.I.C.
CAMM Pro
DA H.N.I.C.

PostSubject: Re: HALOs...my own personal HELL   HALOs...my own personal HELL - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeNovember 9th 2009, 8:04 am

Mad Hatter wrote:

Need any help with yours, Mo?
After Dave's yours would be my 8 install. Just let me know! My house is always free.
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

PostSubject: Re: HALOs...my own personal HELL   HALOs...my own personal HELL - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeNovember 9th 2009, 8:05 am

DA H.N.I.C. wrote:
Iguanaman wrote:
Mad Hatter wrote:

Damn straight they're going in Saturday!! We waited too long to get the right parts for this. The immediate look will be great, but we're looking for life longevity with these.

You got it!

Can you post that updated pic with both rings, the Flashtech running at 7v?
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

PostSubject: Re: HALOs...my own personal HELL   HALOs...my own personal HELL - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeNovember 9th 2009, 8:05 am

DA H.N.I.C. wrote:
Mad Hatter wrote:

Need any help with yours, Mo?
After Dave's yours would be my 8 install. Just let me know! My house is always free.

That's what I was suggesting to him. If he made the drive up, the three of us could install the 2 sets.
Back to top Go down
DA H.N.I.C.
CAMM Pro
DA H.N.I.C.

PostSubject: Re: HALOs...my own personal HELL   HALOs...my own personal HELL - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeNovember 9th 2009, 9:02 am

Iguanaman wrote:
DA H.N.I.C. wrote:
Iguanaman wrote:
Mad Hatter wrote:

You got it!

Can you post that updated pic with both rings, the Flashtech running at 7v?

Here was the most recent pic.

AAC 12volt amber on the left.....................................Flashtech 7volt amber w/regulator on the right

HALOs...my own personal HELL - Page 2 Photo
Back to top Go down
HiPwr
HiPwr

PostSubject: Re: HALOs...my own personal HELL   HALOs...my own personal HELL - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeNovember 9th 2009, 9:10 am

Rep for Dave for an informative post. Really convinced me to never, ever put these things on my car.
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

PostSubject: Re: HALOs...my own personal HELL   HALOs...my own personal HELL - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeNovember 9th 2009, 11:28 am

HiPwr wrote:
Rep for Dave for an informative post. Really convinced me to never, ever put these things on my car.

Thanks, but don't think of it that way. If anything, you'll benefit from me going through this. When we DO finally get to installing these, I plan on putting together the mother of all LED halo install threads, show you how to regulate, where to mount it, how to do EVERYTHING. Answer some questions. IMO, there are far to many unknowns that have been out there for these rings (FT and AAC) to have been out there for this long. It shouldn't be this tough.
Back to top Go down
irishrt5.7
CAMM All-Star
irishrt5.7

PostSubject: Re: HALOs...my own personal HELL   HALOs...my own personal HELL - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeNovember 9th 2009, 2:39 pm

Personally i think the aac ones are more amber looking then the flashtech
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: HALOs...my own personal HELL   HALOs...my own personal HELL - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeNovember 9th 2009, 8:38 pm

irishrt5.7 wrote:
Personally i think the aac ones are more amber looking then the flashtech

yea the color is off but all the flashtech led halos I've seen are much brighter than the ACC ones.
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

PostSubject: Re: HALOs...my own personal HELL   HALOs...my own personal HELL - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeNovember 10th 2009, 9:58 pm

OK, so what the hell!?

Why SHOULDN'T this saga get weirder?

So today Diallo lit up all 6 Flashtech rings. Guess what...they ARE amber. Even the one that was red:

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="https://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=https://vid663.photobucket.com/albums/uu354/midwestmoparalliance/Dave%20-%20Iguanaman/MVI_3811.flv">
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

PostSubject: Re: HALOs...my own personal HELL   HALOs...my own personal HELL - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeNovember 10th 2009, 9:59 pm

Crap. Try this:

HALOs...my own personal HELL - Page 2 Th_MVI_3811
Back to top Go down
chargerchick
CAMM All-Star
chargerchick

PostSubject: Re: HALOs...my own personal HELL   HALOs...my own personal HELL - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeNovember 11th 2009, 12:41 pm

Geez Dave. Sorry you're going thru so much trouble with this. Sad
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

PostSubject: Re: HALOs...my own personal HELL   HALOs...my own personal HELL - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeNovember 11th 2009, 4:49 pm

chargerchick wrote:
Geez Dave. Sorry you're going thru so much trouble with this. Sad

Thanks, but it's OK. Following this, Diallo and I may end up being the most knowledgable non-electricians in the world on LED halo installs. waves
Back to top Go down
Mad Hatter
CAMM Member
Mad Hatter

PostSubject: Re: HALOs...my own personal HELL   HALOs...my own personal HELL - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeNovember 11th 2009, 9:52 pm

Iguanaman wrote:
OK, so what the hell!?

Why SHOULDN'T this saga get weirder?

So today Diallo lit up all 6 Flashtech rings. Guess what...they ARE amber. Even the one that was red:

Maybe the power is now being even distributed or something. It was too much going to just 1 ring from the regulator eh
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: HALOs...my own personal HELL   HALOs...my own personal HELL - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeNovember 11th 2009, 10:53 pm

I hear the voltage controls the color.
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

PostSubject: Re: HALOs...my own personal HELL   HALOs...my own personal HELL - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeNovember 12th 2009, 12:29 am

^^^Both are true. But in theory, one or 8 rings hooked up, the regulator should be providing the same power to the rings.

LATEST: Hooked up the regulator and all the rings to my battery tonight...color-wise, they look GREAT! Diallo took some pics...I'll get them posted.

BUT...run the halos off my battery @ 12.5 volts and lower, they're fine. Start the car and the battery runs @ 14v, the lights all start blinking. Talked to plcman, that shouldn't happen. Could just be a bad regulator. He's going to check it out for me.

Staaaaay tuned. Won't have halos in for Sunday, though. That's for sure.
Back to top Go down
DA H.N.I.C.
CAMM Pro
DA H.N.I.C.

PostSubject: Re: HALOs...my own personal HELL   HALOs...my own personal HELL - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeNovember 12th 2009, 8:40 am

Here's the pics Dave is talking about. We took these last night at my house just checking for color against his car and ring/light stability under varying voltages. Like he said, at rest (12.3volts) the rings are fine, but while the car is running and the voltage jumps to around 14volts...............not so good.

BTW: to set 'em against the Charger we just taped a couple to the outside of the headlight housing.

HALOs...my own personal HELL - Page 2 IMG_3813

HALOs...my own personal HELL - Page 2 IMG_3817

HALOs...my own personal HELL - Page 2 IMG_3818

HALOs...my own personal HELL - Page 2 IMG_3819

HALOs...my own personal HELL - Page 2 IMG_3816

HALOs...my own personal HELL - Page 2 IMG_3820
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

PostSubject: Re: HALOs...my own personal HELL   HALOs...my own personal HELL - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeNovember 12th 2009, 12:34 pm

Ahhh...I'm in love again, for the very first time.
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

PostSubject: Re: HALOs...my own personal HELL   HALOs...my own personal HELL - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeNovember 12th 2009, 12:35 pm

That first pic is a hint at the grille lighting too.

Thanks for posting them, D!
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

PostSubject: Re: HALOs...my own personal HELL   HALOs...my own personal HELL - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeNovember 12th 2009, 12:38 pm

Man, I need 20" rims. Looks like my wheels were washed in hot water and shrunk in those wheel wells.
Back to top Go down
chargerchick
CAMM All-Star
chargerchick

PostSubject: Re: HALOs...my own personal HELL   HALOs...my own personal HELL - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeNovember 12th 2009, 6:45 pm

Ohhhhhh nice!!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

PostSubject: Re: HALOs...my own personal HELL   HALOs...my own personal HELL - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeJanuary 27th 2010, 9:10 pm

It's January 27th...do you know where your halos are?

I still don't have mine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HALOs...my own personal HELL   HALOs...my own personal HELL - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HALOs...my own personal HELL
Page 2 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next