Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

powder coating

Go down 
+9
Yuro
eviltrycycle
BigM
SRTMag
WideSpicy
Yes Hemi
jontoad
jamesv82
funkpolice
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

powder coating Empty
PostSubject: powder coating   powder coating I_icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2014, 7:34 pm

I've seen that CPC seems to be a pretty solid choice for powdercoating wheels. Do they do any wheel repair? All four of my rims are curb rashed and I want them fixed, then the pockets powder coated black. If CPC doesn't do repair, who does? here is what I'm looking to have done.

http://213autoparts.com/Factory-Reproductions-Charger-20-AWD-Black-Pocket-wheels-5x115-10643.htm

bill
Back to top Go down
jamesv82
jamesv82

powder coating Empty
PostSubject: Re: powder coating   powder coating I_icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2014, 9:05 pm

I used Wheels America on the set I got from Adam after his accident, they came out perfect but were totally powder coated. Best part is you drop it off and they have them done the next day.

You can take them in and they will look them over and let you know if they can do the job
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

powder coating Empty
PostSubject: Re: powder coating   powder coating I_icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2014, 9:05 pm

i have never had to have CPC fix any curb rash. i will have to ask. they have had my wheels since the 10th. if they aren't done on the 4th i am sure they will be done on the 11th. they do wheels every Friday.
Back to top Go down
Yes Hemi
CAMM Rookie
Yes Hemi

powder coating Empty
PostSubject: Re: powder coating   powder coating I_icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2014, 9:39 pm

Try: http://www.chicagowheel.com/
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

powder coating Empty
PostSubject: Re: powder coating   powder coating I_icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2014, 9:45 pm

Yes Hemi wrote:
Try: http://www.chicagowheel.com/

i have delt with them for years. ever since Joe left to form his own company we have had a few issues with them, but their work is good.

my personal wheels are at CPC instead if that says anything.
Back to top Go down
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

powder coating Empty
PostSubject: Re: powder coating   powder coating I_icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2014, 9:52 pm

does Joe work at cpc now? I just sent an email to chicago wheel. I'll give wheel america and cpc a call tomorrow. thanks guys,
bill
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

powder coating Empty
PostSubject: Re: powder coating   powder coating I_icon_minitimeApril 3rd 2014, 12:08 am

no Joe has nothing to do with CPC. sorry if that is what that post made it sound like. lol.
Back to top Go down
WideSpicy
CAMM Pro
WideSpicy

powder coating Empty
PostSubject: Re: powder coating   powder coating I_icon_minitimeApril 3rd 2014, 9:19 am

i used Vanilla Gorilla recently and Ray's work is always top notch
Back to top Go down
SRTMag
CAMM Member
SRTMag

powder coating Empty
PostSubject: Re: powder coating   powder coating I_icon_minitimeApril 5th 2014, 10:13 pm

WideSpicy wrote:
i used Vanilla Gorilla recently and Ray's work is always top notch

If you don't mind me asking, what is Ray charging these days to powder coat rims?
Back to top Go down
BigM
CAMM Pro
BigM

powder coating Empty
PostSubject: Re: powder coating   powder coating I_icon_minitimeApril 6th 2014, 2:01 pm

I forget but I called Vanilla Gorilla and while they sounded top notch (the guy was very knowledgeable and gave me good advice no matter what I was doing) they were pretty expensive.

CPC is $60 a wheel. If you want top shelf stuff and need multiple colors/finishes then maybe CPC aint the one but they sure are a bargin.
Back to top Go down
SRTMag
CAMM Member
SRTMag

powder coating Empty
PostSubject: Re: powder coating   powder coating I_icon_minitimeApril 6th 2014, 9:11 pm

Ray knows about powder coating. I had him do various things in the past for me when I had my speed shop, but never any rims. He was always pretty fair with his prices compared to others. I may hive him a call to get a quote, but you can't beat 60.00 a rim though.
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

powder coating Empty
PostSubject: Re: powder coating   powder coating I_icon_minitimeApril 6th 2014, 9:47 pm

BigM wrote:
I forget but I called Vanilla Gorilla and while they sounded top notch (the guy was very knowledgeable and gave me good advice no matter what I was doing) they were pretty expensive.

CPC is $60 a wheel.  If you want top shelf stuff and need multiple colors/finishes then maybe CPC aint the one but they sure are a bargin.

the last set CPC did for me (my track wheels) was a 3 coat. they are currently powdering them again a different way. also a 3 coat, or it might be a 4 coat if they can get some flake in it again. you should facebook friend them to see all the crazy custom powders they do. the translucent copper one they just did is killer. i don't know where you got the idea they only do one coat cheap sets.

here is the way CPC did mine last time (which they did free because i won a contest on their facebook page). they looked killer in the light, everybody said they looked like bowling balls. lol. only downside was they looked purple/maroon in the shade outside. so i wanted to re do them in something that would stay red in the shade. my bad for choosing the wrong base coat. i did ink black, super red sparkle, and clear vision top coat. i should have told them to do a red base. the samples i saw on line looked great and similar to my pictures. i hated to powder over these works of art but i had to since it just wasn't what i wanted the final look to be without the sun or light on them.

powder coating Dba8m

powder coating Qnqzgw
Back to top Go down
SRTMag
CAMM Member
SRTMag

powder coating Empty
PostSubject: Re: powder coating   powder coating I_icon_minitimeApril 7th 2014, 7:20 am

Wow, that's a crazy color there. Do you know what the usual turn around time is with CPC?
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

powder coating Empty
PostSubject: Re: powder coating   powder coating I_icon_minitimeApril 7th 2014, 1:29 pm

Usually 3 days. He is swamped with work right now though. Since he knows I am not in a rush and I think he gives me special prices he asked if it was ok if it was a couple weeks this time. They do rims every Friday. Most of their work is industrial stuff like stairs, railings, racecar frames, ect....
Back to top Go down
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

powder coating Empty
PostSubject: Re: powder coating   powder coating I_icon_minitimeApril 7th 2014, 6:34 pm

I talked to Vanilla Gorilla today. They don't do wheel repair, he said either Wheels America or Keystone. Without seeing my wheels, he shot me a quote of 200-250 a wheel to do the powder coating which is more than I want to spend on top of the repairs. WA didn't answer the phone so I'll give them a call tomorrow.

bill
Back to top Go down
jamesv82
jamesv82

powder coating Empty
PostSubject: Re: powder coating   powder coating I_icon_minitimeApril 7th 2014, 6:45 pm

Bill, even if you get a hold of WA they pro won't give you a quote over the phone, I had to take my rims in for a price.
Back to top Go down
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

powder coating Empty
PostSubject: Re: powder coating   powder coating I_icon_minitimeApril 7th 2014, 7:02 pm

James, did you have them repaired or just powdercoated, and how much was it?
Back to top Go down
SRTMag
CAMM Member
SRTMag

powder coating Empty
PostSubject: Re: powder coating   powder coating I_icon_minitimeApril 7th 2014, 7:39 pm

200-250 a wheel just for powder coat, or with the repair?
Back to top Go down
BigM
CAMM Pro
BigM

powder coating Empty
PostSubject: Re: powder coating   powder coating I_icon_minitimeApril 7th 2014, 7:43 pm

jontoad wrote:
BigM wrote:

CPC is $60 a wheel.  If you want top shelf stuff and need multiple colors/finishes then maybe CPC aint the one but they sure are a bargin.

the last set CPC did for me (my track wheels) was a 3 coat. they are currently powdering them again a different way. also a 3 coat, or it might be a 4 coat if they can get some flake in it again. you should facebook friend them to see all the crazy custom powders they do. the translucent copper one they just did is killer. i don't know where you got the idea they only do one coat cheap sets.

here is the way CPC did mine last time (which they did free because i won a contest on their facebook page). they looked killer in the light, everybody said they looked like bowling balls. lol. only downside was they looked purple/maroon in the shade outside. so i wanted to re do them in something that would stay red in the shade. my bad for choosing the wrong base coat. i did ink black, super red sparkle, and clear vision top coat. i should have told them to do a red base. the samples i saw on line looked great and similar to my pictures. i hated to powder over these works of art but i had to since it just wasn't what i wanted the final look to be without the sun or light on them.

powder coating Dba8m

powder coating Qnqzgw

I think I read that on the FB page but it might have been from a few years back about not doing multiple colors. Thanks for correcting. I'm planning on bringing my wheels there for a simple black just need to settle on the shade.
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

powder coating Empty
PostSubject: Re: powder coating   powder coating I_icon_minitimeApril 7th 2014, 9:07 pm

I had a bit of curb rash when mine went to CPC and they took care of it. You could still see it if you were right up on the rim but it didn't bother me. The one rim that got hit in my accident will need work.

Back to top Go down
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

powder coating Empty
PostSubject: Re: powder coating   powder coating I_icon_minitimeApril 8th 2014, 4:45 pm

wheels america said that it'll be around 150 a wheel repaired and refinished. He said they can probably do the black I want for that price, but would need to see the wheels in person to give me a hard price. The guy @ Vanilla Gorilla told me to try Keystone Automotive on the south side, but I wasn't able to get in touch with them yet.

bill
Back to top Go down
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

powder coating Empty
PostSubject: Re: powder coating   powder coating I_icon_minitimeApril 8th 2014, 4:46 pm

crystal, if that's the case I'll call cpc tomorrow and see what they say. I think the damage is pretty light, and honestly I think I could fix them myself, but I'm skirred.

bill
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

powder coating Empty
PostSubject: Re: powder coating   powder coating I_icon_minitimeApril 8th 2014, 5:11 pm

When I head to the gym I will take pics of the old curb rash that I had them fix and then powdercoat so you can see it for yourself. I won't be home until after 830 but I will get them to you tonight.
Back to top Go down
jamesv82
jamesv82

powder coating Empty
PostSubject: Re: powder coating   powder coating I_icon_minitimeApril 8th 2014, 6:54 pm

funkpolice wrote:
James, did you have them repaired or just powdercoated, and how much was it?

One def need repair as they are the set Adam had on his old car in the accident, the others I think needed a little curb rash fix. I think it was $140 a wheel and they matched the black from my BT center cap that I took in.

I need to take 2 of them back as one got hit and the other one has a little curb rash, just don't know when.
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

powder coating Empty
PostSubject: Re: powder coating   powder coating I_icon_minitimeApril 8th 2014, 9:06 pm

Apparently the damage from the wreck was the same place the curb rash was before because I couldn't find anything noteworthy to take a pic of.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

powder coating Empty
PostSubject: Re: powder coating   powder coating I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

powder coating
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next