Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Question for anybody who removed the door moldings

Go down 
+8
HiPwr
Fidostudio
eviltrycycle
irishrt5.7
jontoad
Shawn1112
inkedup
liljoejoe54
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

Question for anybody who removed the door moldings Empty
PostSubject: Question for anybody who removed the door moldings   Question for anybody who removed the door moldings I_icon_minitimeAugust 2nd 2010, 8:04 pm

I have been wanting to remove the door moldings for quite a while but I keep hearing horror stories about bubbles in the clear coat under the molding. I also hear that the paint will not match because everything has been exposed to the sun for a long time but under the door moldings havent. For anybody that has done this, what was your experience? Mine is an '06 so I really am worried about the paint not matching anymore but by the time I find out, its too late because the moldings are off. I know I talked to Inkedup about this and his came out fine but I wanted to hear from more people so im 100% confident mine will be fine. Lol. And if I remove mine and find out it doesnt match, what can I do to fix it?
Back to top Go down
inkedup
CAMM All-Star
inkedup

PostSubject: Re: Question for anybody who removed the door moldings   Question for anybody who removed the door moldings I_icon_minitimeAugust 2nd 2010, 8:08 pm

dude take it to my guy i think he will charge ya around a hundo,he's responsible if he fucks it up ya kno
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Question for anybody who removed the door moldings   Question for anybody who removed the door moldings I_icon_minitimeAugust 2nd 2010, 8:11 pm

inkedup wrote:
dude take it to my guy i think he will charge ya around a hundo,he's responsible if he fucks it up ya kno

I know but I dont want to pay anything right now, lol.
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Question for anybody who removed the door moldings   Question for anybody who removed the door moldings I_icon_minitimeAugust 2nd 2010, 8:12 pm

You have taken care of your paint, so I think you will be fine. As long as there is no bubbling or peeling the most you should have to do is buff the doors out. Take them off slowly and if you start to see any imperfections you can put them back on.
Back to top Go down
inkedup
CAMM All-Star
inkedup

PostSubject: Re: Question for anybody who removed the door moldings   Question for anybody who removed the door moldings I_icon_minitimeAugust 2nd 2010, 8:17 pm

then try it yourself just go slow,if it starts to bubble youcan always put another one back on
Back to top Go down
inkedup
CAMM All-Star
inkedup

PostSubject: Re: Question for anybody who removed the door moldings   Question for anybody who removed the door moldings I_icon_minitimeAugust 2nd 2010, 8:18 pm

after you buff the area a slight hazing will still be there more like static but it will go away....
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: Question for anybody who removed the door moldings   Question for anybody who removed the door moldings I_icon_minitimeAugust 2nd 2010, 8:28 pm

i told my body shop to leave the passenger door one off when i had my door painted during that brake in incident i had a couple years back. they told me the driver door was bubbled under it and i had to leave my moldings on till i can afford to repaint the drivers door.

i have grown to like them. actually i like it both ways. it looks good without them and with them.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Question for anybody who removed the door moldings   Question for anybody who removed the door moldings I_icon_minitimeAugust 2nd 2010, 8:30 pm

jontoad wrote:
i told my body shop to leave the passenger door one off when i had my door painted during that brake in incident i had a couple years back. they told me the driver door was bubbled under it and i had to leave my moldings on till i can afford to repaint the drivers door.

i have grown to like them. actually i like it both ways. it looks good without them and with them.
[b]

Thats what im scared of most. But be careful how you word stuff cuz Brian might get really excited.
Back to top Go down
irishrt5.7
CAMM All-Star
irishrt5.7

PostSubject: Re: Question for anybody who removed the door moldings   Question for anybody who removed the door moldings I_icon_minitimeAugust 2nd 2010, 8:40 pm

to late... lol bounce Jerk Off Sleep
Back to top Go down
inkedup
CAMM All-Star
inkedup

PostSubject: Re: Question for anybody who removed the door moldings   Question for anybody who removed the door moldings I_icon_minitimeAugust 2nd 2010, 8:45 pm

i love mine off gives the sides depth.......
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

PostSubject: Re: Question for anybody who removed the door moldings   Question for anybody who removed the door moldings I_icon_minitimeAugust 2nd 2010, 9:14 pm

Mine were fine when I pulled them off. Was scared to do it but paint was fine under it, and mine is an 07.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Question for anybody who removed the door moldings   Question for anybody who removed the door moldings I_icon_minitimeAugust 2nd 2010, 9:21 pm

Jon, what is your cars build date?
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: Question for anybody who removed the door moldings   Question for anybody who removed the door moldings I_icon_minitimeAugust 2nd 2010, 9:42 pm

liljoejoe54 wrote:
Jon, what is your cars build date?

4-06
Back to top Go down
Fidostudio
CAMM Pro
Fidostudio

PostSubject: Re: Question for anybody who removed the door moldings   Question for anybody who removed the door moldings I_icon_minitimeAugust 2nd 2010, 9:45 pm

I did it too on my 07...The doors were fine...there was a little difference in color that went away after a week. Never had to buff or anything. Of course, now I have the damn scratch from my kids bike!
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Question for anybody who removed the door moldings   Question for anybody who removed the door moldings I_icon_minitimeAugust 2nd 2010, 10:10 pm

Thanks guys. I might have to go ahead and slowly give this a try soon. So If i pull the moldings slowly and see bubbling, I can reuse the molding?
Back to top Go down
inkedup
CAMM All-Star
inkedup

PostSubject: Re: Question for anybody who removed the door moldings   Question for anybody who removed the door moldings I_icon_minitimeAugust 2nd 2010, 10:27 pm

not sure about reusing the same moldings,but seriously look at it this way the paint should be dam cured by now and warming it up and gently using fishing line you should be safe against peeling...
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Question for anybody who removed the door moldings   Question for anybody who removed the door moldings I_icon_minitimeAugust 2nd 2010, 10:30 pm

inkedup wrote:
not sure about reusing the same moldings,but seriously look at it this way the paint should be dam cured by now and warming it up and gently using fishing line you should be safe against peeling...

Well in early builds, the rumor is that some of the moldings were put on before the clear dried which caused the bubbles. Jon has the bubbles and his car was built only 1 month before mine. Thats what worries me the most.
Back to top Go down
inkedup
CAMM All-Star
inkedup

PostSubject: Re: Question for anybody who removed the door moldings   Question for anybody who removed the door moldings I_icon_minitimeAugust 2nd 2010, 10:33 pm

well molding are that expensive if it bubbles cover it back up,and youll have newer moldings.....
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

PostSubject: Re: Question for anybody who removed the door moldings   Question for anybody who removed the door moldings I_icon_minitimeAugust 2nd 2010, 11:51 pm

I have my red ones still you can have those if you need them. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
irishrt5.7
CAMM All-Star
irishrt5.7

PostSubject: Re: Question for anybody who removed the door moldings   Question for anybody who removed the door moldings I_icon_minitimeAugust 3rd 2010, 7:09 am

its not a rumor... on all the early builds mine to be one of them... Chrysler didnt allow the paint to cure before putting the moldings on our cars... my build date is april of 04 i had bubbles... joe joe i think you should be fine... but like everyone said you can always put new moldings back on...
Back to top Go down
HiPwr
HiPwr

PostSubject: Re: Question for anybody who removed the door moldings   Question for anybody who removed the door moldings I_icon_minitimeAugust 3rd 2010, 7:30 am

Let me know if you pull them off. I'd like to have two sets of moldings on mine. Gotta love them moldings!
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Question for anybody who removed the door moldings   Question for anybody who removed the door moldings I_icon_minitimeAugust 3rd 2010, 11:46 am

irishrt5.7 wrote:
its not a rumor... on all the early builds mine to be one of them... Chrysler didnt allow the paint to cure before putting the moldings on our cars... my build date is april of 04 i had bubbles... joe joe i think you should be fine... but like everyone said you can always put new moldings back on...

I can buy new moldings from the dealer that are already painted? Any idea on how much they would cost?
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Question for anybody who removed the door moldings   Question for anybody who removed the door moldings I_icon_minitimeAugust 3rd 2010, 11:47 am

HiPwr wrote:
Let me know if you pull them off. I'd like to have two sets of moldings on mine. Gotta love them moldings!

Lol Eric, you can never be too protective from door dings plus the 2 tone will really "pop".
Back to top Go down
xegitalian19xx
Founding Member
Founding Member
xegitalian19xx

PostSubject: Re: Question for anybody who removed the door moldings   Question for anybody who removed the door moldings I_icon_minitimeAugust 3rd 2010, 11:50 am

joejoe, I too have pulled mine off...mine is an 07 though so I'm sure dodge figured their shit out after a couple of years....
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Question for anybody who removed the door moldings   Question for anybody who removed the door moldings I_icon_minitimeAugust 3rd 2010, 11:53 am

xegitalian19xx wrote:
joejoe, I too have pulled mine off...mine is an 07 though so I'm sure dodge figured their shit out after a couple of years....

I hope so but like Jon said, he has bubbles and his car was built only a year before mine. Im still going to give it a shot but that makes me worried.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question for anybody who removed the door moldings   Question for anybody who removed the door moldings I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question for anybody who removed the door moldings
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next