Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Toying With Exhaust

Go down 
+6
liljoejoe54
Hoodie
irishrt5.7
xegitalian19xx
Shawn1112
HiPwr
10 posters
AuthorMessage
HiPwr
HiPwr

Toying With Exhaust Empty
PostSubject: Toying With Exhaust   Toying With Exhaust I_icon_minitimeOctober 23rd 2009, 8:07 am

I'm contemplating changing the exhaust on the Charger, but I have a few questions/concerns:

1. What exactly is a "cat back?" Some kind of modifiied catalytic converter?
2. What's to be gained/lost by eliminating the resonators?
3. Will changing my exhaust (not counting headers which is definitely on my list for next year) provide any noticable performance results?
4. By altering the exhaust from stock, will I be throwing codes?
5. Is there a possibility that I could fail IL's emission testing with mods?
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Toying With Exhaust   Toying With Exhaust I_icon_minitimeOctober 23rd 2009, 8:28 am

HiPwr wrote:
I'm contemplating changing the exhaust on the Charger, but I have a few questions/concerns:

1. What exactly is a "cat back?" Some kind of modifiied catalytic converter?
2. What's to be gained/lost by eliminating the resonators?
3. Will changing my exhaust (not counting headers which is definitely on my list for next year) provide any noticable performance results?
4. By altering the exhaust from stock, will I be throwing codes?
5. Is there a possibility that I could fail IL's emission testing with mods?

I will answer what I can and someone else will answer the rest.

1. Cat back means you get everything from the cats back to the tips. You dont get anything for the converters the stock converters stay put. You could also add hi-flo cats for about $300-$500 more.
2. I'm not too sure, but I think its just less restrictive and better sounding.
3. The exhaust wont make you feel the difference but I'm pretty sure you get like 8-10hp.
4. No you will not throw any codes from doing a cat-back.
5. You shouldnt have any problems passing emmisions test with a cat-back, or any other bolt on mods.
Back to top Go down
xegitalian19xx
Founding Member
Founding Member
xegitalian19xx

PostSubject: Re: Toying With Exhaust   Toying With Exhaust I_icon_minitimeOctober 23rd 2009, 9:37 am

^^^Shawn pretty much hit the nail on the head! You really won't see any performance gains from just a cat back but the sound IMO is worth it....There is no point in having a quiet V8 Smile
Back to top Go down
irishrt5.7
CAMM All-Star
irishrt5.7

PostSubject: Re: Toying With Exhaust   Toying With Exhaust I_icon_minitimeOctober 23rd 2009, 9:44 am

^^^^X1000 no point in a quiet V8 at all...
Back to top Go down
HiPwr
HiPwr

PostSubject: Re: Toying With Exhaust   Toying With Exhaust I_icon_minitimeOctober 23rd 2009, 9:58 am

Well, I wouldn't call mine "quiet", but given the cost of these cat-back systems, if the only significant difference is sound, I would like to prioritize my resources towards a cam and headers before this.

What about just cutting out the resonators? That seems like an extremely cheap mod.
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Toying With Exhaust   Toying With Exhaust I_icon_minitimeOctober 23rd 2009, 10:00 am

People have done that just cut of the resonator, or maybe they cut off the suitcase muffler. I dont remember
Back to top Go down
Hoodie
CAMM Pro
Hoodie

PostSubject: Re: Toying With Exhaust   Toying With Exhaust I_icon_minitimeOctober 23rd 2009, 10:26 am

Most of the time, it's cutting off the resonator at the rear by the pipes.. It makes the car a LOT louder.. I think too loud and doesn't give a good tone to it but a lot of people like it..
Back to top Go down
HiPwr
HiPwr

PostSubject: Re: Toying With Exhaust   Toying With Exhaust I_icon_minitimeOctober 23rd 2009, 10:29 am

Too loud. Hmmmmm. Does anyone here have just that mod so I can hear it?
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Toying With Exhaust   Toying With Exhaust I_icon_minitimeOctober 23rd 2009, 10:40 am

Try cutting your resonators off and installing blastin bobs. Ill even put them on for you if you want. I put mine and my brothers on and they sound great.

Last edited by liljoejoe54 on October 24th 2009, 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
HiPwr
HiPwr

PostSubject: Re: Toying With Exhaust   Toying With Exhaust I_icon_minitimeOctober 23rd 2009, 10:46 am

liljoejoe54 wrote:
Try cutting your resonators off and installing blastin bobs. Ill even put them on for you if you want. I put mint and my brothers on and they sound great.

I'm looking here to see what these do: http://www.blastinbob.com/category_s/4.htm
Back to top Go down
JacksSRT8
CAMM Pro
JacksSRT8

PostSubject: Re: Toying With Exhaust   Toying With Exhaust I_icon_minitimeOctober 24th 2009, 9:01 am

Hey bud, I have blastin bobs exhaust on mine as well.. sounds bad ass!!!!! and not too bad should be under $200.00 buy. google blastin bobs
Back to top Go down
JacksSRT8
CAMM Pro
JacksSRT8

PostSubject: Re: Toying With Exhaust   Toying With Exhaust I_icon_minitimeOctober 24th 2009, 9:08 am

jackssrt8 wrote:
Hey bud, I have blastin bobs exhaust on mine as well.. sounds bad ass!!!!! and not too bad should be under $200.00 buy. google blastin bobs
I have the 4" tips on mine called the "beast II"
Back to top Go down
irishrt5.7
CAMM All-Star
irishrt5.7

PostSubject: Re: Toying With Exhaust   Toying With Exhaust I_icon_minitimeOctober 24th 2009, 9:35 am

They do sound great... this was one of the first mods i did to my car when i got it...

wasnt loud enough for me but it sounded good...

cool thing is if you want it louder after that just replace the suitcase then...

or you could delete the suitcase and replace the tips w/ some of the blastin bobs resonated tips and it would sound even better...
Back to top Go down
ChiTownHemi
CAMM All-Star
ChiTownHemi

PostSubject: Re: Toying With Exhaust   Toying With Exhaust I_icon_minitimeOctober 24th 2009, 9:44 am

Before you do anything, you should listen to the various systems in person. (car show next Spring). Narrow it down based on what you hear live 'cause listening to all the clips on youtube etc doesn't do it justice. Then, once you narrow it down, take a ride in the car to make sure you can deal with whatever drone there might be in the cabin. The resonators eliminate drone. You take them out and you're definitely going to get some noise in the cabin depending on what you put back on. I've heard that the blastin bobs are absolutely one of the most cost effective ways to get good muscle car sound but I have no idea how much drone might be introduced into the cabin. Those that have the BB's I'm sure will chime in on that but just remember that there are various levels of drone and various levels of tolerance among all of us. What some people claim is absolutely no drone will drive other people crazy that are more sensitive to it. Or, if you're like me and you've practically lost all your hearing, then it's a non issue - thumbsup I love the sound of my zoomers but they are a little pricey.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Toying With Exhaust   Toying With Exhaust I_icon_minitimeOctober 24th 2009, 9:49 am

ChiTownHemi wrote:
Before you do anything, you should listen to the various systems in person. (car show next Spring). Narrow it down based on what you hear live 'cause listening to all the clips on youtube etc doesn't do it justice. Then, once you narrow it down, take a ride in the car to make sure you can deal with whatever drone there might be in the cabin. The resonators eliminate drone. You take them out and you're definitely going to get some noise in the cabin depending on what you put back on. I've heard that the blastin bobs are absolutely one of the most cost effective ways to get good muscle car sound but I have no idea how much drone might be introduced into the cabin. Those that have the BB's I'm sure will chime in on that but just remember that there are various levels of drone and various levels of tolerance among all of us. What some people claim is absolutely no drone will drive other people crazy that are more sensitive to it. Or, if you're like me and you've practically lost all your hearing, then it's a non issue - thumbsup I love the sound of my zoomers but they are a little pricey.

I have the 5db kit for my R/T with Flowmaster 40s. The only time I get drone is when I cruise between 80-90MPH. Other than that, its not too bad in the interior. The SRT setup doesnt offer the 5db kit and the lowest one I see is the 9db but with the stock suitcase I dont think drone is going to be much of a problem. Best thing to do next to hearing them in person is to email Bob through his site. thats what I did when I was picking out my setup and he was extremely helpful in making my decision easier.
Back to top Go down
JacksSRT8
CAMM Pro
JacksSRT8

PostSubject: Re: Toying With Exhaust   Toying With Exhaust I_icon_minitimeOctober 24th 2009, 10:31 am

I HAVE THE 9DB KIT SUITCASE STILL ON AND LIVE IN L.I.T.H. IF YOU WANT TO HEAR MINE B4 I PUT AWAY FOR THE WINTER.
Back to top Go down
HiPwr
HiPwr

PostSubject: Re: Toying With Exhaust   Toying With Exhaust I_icon_minitimeOctober 24th 2009, 2:33 pm

jackssrt8 wrote:
I HAVE THE 9DB KIT SUITCASE STILL ON AND LIVE IN L.I.T.H. IF YOU WANT TO HEAR MINE B4 I PUT AWAY FOR THE WINTER.

Sent you a PM, Jack.
Back to top Go down
Mad Hatter
CAMM Member
Mad Hatter

PostSubject: Re: Toying With Exhaust   Toying With Exhaust I_icon_minitimeOctober 24th 2009, 7:51 pm

I have Flowmaster 40s w No Resos. Drone doesnt bother me or my boys! But like they said, you really have to hear each & decide on your own. Our group has a vast array of options to help you choose. Just go down the line.
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: Toying With Exhaust   Toying With Exhaust I_icon_minitimeOctober 24th 2009, 8:23 pm

i dunno if you heard my exhaust or not but i just have magnaflow dual mufflers under the middle of the car and all 3 inch pipe to magnaflow tips with no resos. i wish it was louder at idle but there is no drone, its loud as hell when i get on it and quiet on the highway. perfect in my opinion just not loud enough at idle. i think some mid pipe should fix that but ill cross that bridge when i come to it.

it was only like 600 installed. thats with parts and everything. the guy at naperville exhaust works did it. you cant even buy the magnaflow kit online for that price.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Toying With Exhaust   Toying With Exhaust I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Toying With Exhaust
Page 1 of 1