Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Who's installed their own cam?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
morepower4me
CAMM Rookie
morepower4me

Who's installed their own cam? Empty
PostSubject: Who's installed their own cam?   Who's installed their own cam? I_icon_minitimeJune 17th 2015, 5:29 pm

I've had my SRT8 about 3 years now & am finally ready to put a cam in it. I've helped on some LT1 & LS1 cam swaps but never a Mopar, and I know there are some tricks.

Has anyone on the board done their own? Would anyone be willing to help for some nice beer & good pizza?

I reached out to Eric (Ekaz) recently just to see what his pricing would be, and I know I can drive up to MI to see Luke, but I'd really like to do it on my own.

-Brian
Back to top Go down
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

PostSubject: Re: Who's installed their own cam?   Who's installed their own cam? I_icon_minitimeJune 18th 2015, 6:20 am

If you end up doing it yourself I'd be willing to assist if you need it. Zero hemi experience changing cam shafts, but I've helped my brother with his mustangs. It's probably a better idea to take it somewhere, but I understand wanting to do it yourself completely. these motors are just like any other motor....except of course for the parts that aren't.

bill
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: Who's installed their own cam?   Who's installed their own cam? I_icon_minitimeJune 18th 2015, 4:05 pm

i dunno what Ekaz told you, but he is going to be your most cost effective option unless you do it yourself for sure.
Back to top Go down
morepower4me
CAMM Rookie
morepower4me

PostSubject: Re: Who's installed their own cam?   Who's installed their own cam? I_icon_minitimeJune 18th 2015, 4:22 pm

jontoad wrote:
i dunno what Ekaz told you, but he is going to be your most cost effective option unless you do it yourself for sure.

Yeah, my thoughts too - I had a price from like a year or so ago but didn't want to assume pricing stayed the same. Waiting to hear back & will decide from that.

Was really hoping to try and get an install day going (or something like that) - I remember doing those from my Camaro & Mustang days, but they were a lot easier to do because there are SO many more Camaros and Mustangs, especially back in the 4G F-body days!

Jontoad & Funkpolice - you guys regret putting the cam in? Any issues with drivability? Emissions OK?

-Brian
Back to top Go down
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

PostSubject: Re: Who's installed their own cam?   Who's installed their own cam? I_icon_minitimeJune 18th 2015, 4:43 pm

I don't regret it at all. The only issues I have are on really cold days (10 degrees on colder it seems) it takes a little love to get it to idle until the water temp gets up to around 70 degrees, also, I have to pause for a moment when shifting from drive to reverse or reverse to drive. I think they are both issues that can be cleaned up in my tune, but it doesn't really bother me, so I haven't pursued that. I haven't had any problems with emissions either. If you go with a similar cam to the srtmax I'd recommend a higher stall torque converter along with an upgraded TCM.
bill
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: Who's installed their own cam?   Who's installed their own cam? I_icon_minitimeJune 18th 2015, 6:50 pm

no regrets on the cam. i would do it again in a heart beat. i had Ekaz install it.

i agree the higher stall, higher gears, and mopar TCM all work together to get the car where you want it. if you plan on doing a cam, plan on dong those mods eventually to use it's power band the right way.

i don't have any cold weather idle issues like Funk describes. once in while if i shift to park or reverse too fast like Funk describes i do get a rpm stumble but it doesn't die. just like he said it can be tuned out but it doesn't bother me enough to bother my tuner about it at this point. really i am just running revised email tunes from Johan for the moment. i plan to do Thitek heads next spring and have Tim do the final tune then. at the moment the driveability is great. highway trips out of state are no problem, around town it's great, on the track it great.

we do have install days like you describe with your camaro club, but our install days don't really get as advanced as cam swaps.
Back to top Go down
cesar.santillanes
CAMM Rookie
cesar.santillanes

PostSubject: Re: Who's installed their own cam?   Who's installed their own cam? I_icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2015, 8:59 pm

I want to install a spartan plus in my 2010 charger rt it's sock all I have is the CAI my friend is selling me it since he upgraded he is telling me I need forged push rods or srt ones not very educated in this area so any help and also anyone who would be willing to help or where can I find the push rods Thanks
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: Who's installed their own cam?   Who's installed their own cam? I_icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2015, 10:40 pm

cesar.santillanes wrote:
I want to install a spartan plus in my 2010 charger rt it's sock all I have is the CAI my friend is selling me it since he upgraded he is telling me I need forged push rods or srt ones not very educated in this area so any help and also anyone who would be willing to help or where can I find the push rods Thanks

what year car did it come out of?

if it is a regular Spartan plus you can't use it since your car is a 09 and up 5.7 Eagle variable valve timing motor. that cam is for 08 and older cars that don't have VVT. 09 and up cars use the Spartan Eagle Plus. both of those cams are intertia motorsports grinds done by Crower.

if it is the Spartan Eagle Plus then you can get the forged push rods on Inertia Motorsports website. i have their forged pushrods for my Inertia SRT Max Plus cam. they run around 135 dollars.

FYI cam swaps on Eagle 5.7's can be pricey.

http://www.inertiamotorsports.com/camshafts.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who's installed their own cam?   Who's installed their own cam? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Who's installed their own cam?
Page 1 of 1