Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Roadside coolant flush

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

Roadside coolant flush Empty
PostSubject: Roadside coolant flush   Roadside coolant flush I_icon_minitimeJune 13th 2014, 10:33 pm

Charger down! I was cruising at around 55mph on my way home today and heard a loud pop. I looked in the rear view and saw what looked like a black pc of plastic and thought it was odd I could run over something that big and not see it in the road ahead of me. I made a turn about a 1/4 mile later and the steering felt funny. I pulled over and found that my coolant was leaking all over. Luckily I was a block from my parents house so I was able to get over there. I pulled the plastic rock shield/belly pan and I couldn't find the source of the leak, but it was leaking fast. All of the coolant was gone in 10 min. All over the engine bay, but at least I could see that the block was dry. All the radiator hoses looked good, so I pulled the fans to check out the radiator itself. There was only one blade left on the passenger side fan, all the rest were broken into about 15 pcs. Also the part of the shroud was cracked off, and there was a hole punched in the radiator in front of the drivers side fan. With the bottom plastic pcs on, I can't see how anything from the road could get up into the fans. Nothing looks out of place on the water pump, or engine itself, so I don't know what the fuck happened. I'm guessing that somehow the shroud cracked, and busted the blades off the fan. Do fans just explode? Any ideas what could have happened? It looks like I'm going to need a new fan blade, shroud, and radiator, but I have to wait until tomorrow for places to be open. Hopefully I can find this shit. Ekaz said to check out radiators express, and was calling around for the fans parts for me. There seem to be two different radiators, one with the trans cooler integrated and one separate I think. I've been wanting to change the water pump gasket for a few months, so at least I'll get that done. depending on how things go finding parts I might install the tow hook I've had sitting in the garage for a long time as well. arg.

bill
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Roadside coolant flush   Roadside coolant flush I_icon_minitimeJune 14th 2014, 6:49 am

Bummer. I lost a radiator too one time. Not fun.
Back to top Go down
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

PostSubject: Re: Roadside coolant flush   Roadside coolant flush I_icon_minitimeJune 14th 2014, 7:15 am

It looks like there was a recall on the fan blades back in 2011, because they could crack and break. I'm fairly certain I had this work done, but I'm not sure. My vin shows no open recalls or tsbs. I guess I'll see what the dealership says today, but I'm not optimistic.
bill
Back to top Go down
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

PostSubject: Re: Roadside coolant flush   Roadside coolant flush I_icon_minitimeJune 14th 2014, 9:40 pm

so there was a recall, but it only applies to vehicles registered in "warm climates" There is a list of about 15 states. It says that the blades need to be replaced because they could fail, and damage the radiator. I called chrysler and filed a complaint, but the lady said it probably isn't going to do any good. I was able to find all the parts at the countryside warehouse, and the guy there knocked about 300 bucks off the list price. two fan blades, the shroud, and a radiator came out to 600 bucks. got all the new stuff in along with my tow hook. the passenger side fan isn't working and I'm getting a cel. codes for the fan circuit and p0645 a/c clutch control circuit. I need to check out the fuses and relays tomorrow, I hope thats all it is, a/c blows warm. also, removing the facia I found out just how shitty of a job the body shop did. I found three loose body bolts, one nut for the facia and a screw for the headlight missing, the marker light tabs are broke off and it was hot glued in place, the new fender is mangled because the didn't put a part in that spreads the force of the stud connecting it to the facia, and more. They really hacked it up. Also all the paint on the facia near the corner is spider webbing. sucks.

bill
Back to top Go down
HiPwr
HiPwr

PostSubject: Re: Roadside coolant flush   Roadside coolant flush I_icon_minitimeJune 14th 2014, 9:58 pm

Good God, man! You've had a shitty weekend!
Back to top Go down
Yuro
CAMM Pro
Yuro

PostSubject: Re: Roadside coolant flush   Roadside coolant flush I_icon_minitimeJune 15th 2014, 12:51 am

Damn bro! Sorry to hear. Keep us updated.
Back to top Go down
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

PostSubject: Re: Roadside coolant flush   Roadside coolant flush I_icon_minitimeJune 15th 2014, 2:14 pm

a/c and fan were on the same fuse. I replaced it and both are working now, no cels.
bill
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

PostSubject: Re: Roadside coolant flush   Roadside coolant flush I_icon_minitimeJune 15th 2014, 6:05 pm

Bill I swear when your car does something mine comes up with something to do too. Glad your ac is working again.
Back to top Go down
HiPwr
HiPwr

PostSubject: Re: Roadside coolant flush   Roadside coolant flush I_icon_minitimeJune 15th 2014, 6:21 pm

I think my A/C still works. I don't think I've used it in two years. You Yankees are a little more sensitive to warm weather.

I do fear my fan exploding now. Thanks, Bill.
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

PostSubject: Re: Roadside coolant flush   Roadside coolant flush I_icon_minitimeJune 15th 2014, 6:42 pm

I typed out my drama for today then my phone crashed. I'll type it tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

PostSubject: Re: Roadside coolant flush   Roadside coolant flush I_icon_minitimeJune 15th 2014, 7:07 pm

I hope it isn't too bad Crystal. I hadn't used my a/c in a couple years, I'm more of a windows down guy. If it's too hot, drive faster? Hell, I don't even have air conditioning in my house!

bill
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

PostSubject: Re: Roadside coolant flush   Roadside coolant flush I_icon_minitimeJune 15th 2014, 7:18 pm

I'm stuck in Ohio waiting on tires.... but brightside no body damage.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Roadside coolant flush   Roadside coolant flush I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Roadside coolant flush
Page 1 of 1