Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mopar CAI Questions

Go down 
+2
Shawn1112
Greyghost9
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Greyghost9
CAMM Member
Greyghost9

Mopar CAI Questions Empty
PostSubject: Mopar CAI Questions   Mopar CAI Questions I_icon_minitimeJune 5th 2014, 11:39 am

I found a Mopar CAI on Craigslist for a fairly good price, it is off a 2009 Challenger. In the description it says it fits 2009-2010 5.7's, from the picture that he posts it looks like the exact same set up on my 2011. Do you guys think this will still fit, if not what might i need to do?
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Mopar CAI Questions   Mopar CAI Questions I_icon_minitimeJune 5th 2014, 12:01 pm

Post pics of both if possible
Back to top Go down
firestartr420
CAMM All-Star
firestartr420

PostSubject: Re: Mopar CAI Questions   Mopar CAI Questions I_icon_minitimeJune 5th 2014, 1:35 pm

When you look on the sites that sell them new, a lot have changed the description to include 05-12 models... i believe the 5.7s all have the same set up and layout under the Hood so i would assume it would fit. They didn't change anything in the chally from 10 to 11 so I'd say it would work.
Back to top Go down
Greyghost9
CAMM Member
Greyghost9

PostSubject: Re: Mopar CAI Questions   Mopar CAI Questions I_icon_minitimeJune 5th 2014, 2:28 pm

I will try and get some pictures of my under hood area. The subject my not matter really now, I did some research and from what I read Mopar did a quality job of actually building the OE airbox and a CAI isn't really needed for anything more than looks.

People are saying that a new higher flowing air filter and a cleaner elbow coming off the throttle body is all you really need to get the throttle response, sound, and whatever marginal HP gains you might make. So I purchased and AEM air filter and see how that works.

If anyone else has Insight I would love to hear it.
Back to top Go down
firestartr420
CAMM All-Star
firestartr420

PostSubject: Re: Mopar CAI Questions   Mopar CAI Questions I_icon_minitimeJune 5th 2014, 3:58 pm

I've actually been wondering the same thing for my charger. I was thinking of getting a k&n high flow filter for the box but wanted to find out what is the better option. I want the oomph more than the looks...
Back to top Go down
Greyghost9
CAMM Member
Greyghost9

PostSubject: Re: Mopar CAI Questions   Mopar CAI Questions I_icon_minitimeJune 5th 2014, 4:02 pm

Yeah me to, i don't need a ton of under hood mods I would rather have go fast mods and still look stock underneath. I have heard mixed reviews on the K&N filter, from what I read the AEM is the better route, it is a dry filter vs. the K&N oil soaked one. That though is an option cause I am still riding the stock one from when I bought the car. I should be getting it next week, I will update if there are any real feel or power upgrades.
Back to top Go down
firestartr420
CAMM All-Star
firestartr420

PostSubject: Re: Mopar CAI Questions   Mopar CAI Questions I_icon_minitimeJune 5th 2014, 4:52 pm

I'm also on the original filter that came with the car, and at 3 years old, i'm pretty much due for a new one... is the AEM a washable filter like the K&N?
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Mopar CAI Questions   Mopar CAI Questions I_icon_minitimeJune 5th 2014, 5:00 pm

The stock filter and air box is as good as it gets. CAI just adds noise. I don't even run a filter at all. I have a screen over the impeller to keep the small birds out.
Back to top Go down
firestartr420
CAMM All-Star
firestartr420

PostSubject: Re: Mopar CAI Questions   Mopar CAI Questions I_icon_minitimeJune 5th 2014, 5:10 pm

but Tom, you don't drive YOUR car on the streets, and you run only run her a 1/4 mile at a time, which is only 10 secs at that  tongue
Back to top Go down
Greyghost9
CAMM Member
Greyghost9

PostSubject: Re: Mopar CAI Questions   Mopar CAI Questions I_icon_minitimeJune 6th 2014, 9:16 am

Yeah the AEM one says that it is washable and guaranteed for life. Yeah my car is a DD i am not sure I could run without a filter, I drive down 72 everyday past the rock quarry I don't need that shit getting sucked up.
Back to top Go down
BigM
CAMM Pro
BigM

PostSubject: Re: Mopar CAI Questions   Mopar CAI Questions I_icon_minitimeJune 6th 2014, 10:34 pm

If you like stock looking just make sure you run an SRT or R/T R&T intake, the one with the smooth top and bigger diameter. It isn't a huge difference but that plus the freer flowing suitcase muffler is why 06 thru 08 Daytonas and R/T R&T were rated at 10 hp over regular R/Ts.
Back to top Go down
Greyghost9
CAMM Member
Greyghost9

PostSubject: Re: Mopar CAI Questions   Mopar CAI Questions I_icon_minitimeJune 9th 2014, 8:18 am

Does anyone know where to find that smooth intake without the silencer. I saw on another forum where a dude just cut it out and it didnt look to bad actually.
Back to top Go down
moaugust88
CAMM Pro
moaugust88

PostSubject: Re: Mopar CAI Questions   Mopar CAI Questions I_icon_minitimeJune 9th 2014, 9:03 am

Either you can look for a 1st gen SRT air box cheap or get the following part number from you dealer 4861940AC or go to speedlogix who sells them http://www.speedlogixstore.com/product-p/4861940ac.htm
Back to top Go down
moaugust88
CAMM Pro
moaugust88

PostSubject: Re: Mopar CAI Questions   Mopar CAI Questions I_icon_minitimeJune 9th 2014, 9:03 am

You don't need the air box just the tube.
Back to top Go down
Greyghost9
CAMM Member
Greyghost9

PostSubject: Re: Mopar CAI Questions   Mopar CAI Questions I_icon_minitimeJune 9th 2014, 10:33 am

Damn!! 97 dollars for just the elbow, that seems like a little nuts.
Back to top Go down
firestartr420
CAMM All-Star
firestartr420

PostSubject: Re: Mopar CAI Questions   Mopar CAI Questions I_icon_minitimeJune 9th 2014, 6:28 pm

speedlogix stuff is rather expensive...
Back to top Go down
BigM
CAMM Pro
BigM

PostSubject: Re: Mopar CAI Questions   Mopar CAI Questions I_icon_minitimeJune 9th 2014, 10:51 pm

I'd sell you mine but Mo took it in partial trade for his old R2C intake Smile

Reminds me I should clean that thing it is a bit dingy just haven't had time to wash in simple green as it takes forever to dry and I don't have a working compressor to blow it out either heh.
Back to top Go down
moaugust88
CAMM Pro
moaugust88

PostSubject: Re: Mopar CAI Questions   Mopar CAI Questions I_icon_minitimeJune 9th 2014, 11:45 pm

BigM wrote:
I'd sell you mine but Mo took it in partial trade for his old R2C intake Smile

Reminds me I should clean that thing it is a bit dingy just haven't had time to wash in simple green as it takes forever to dry and I don't have a working compressor to blow it out either heh.

The tube is with my SRT air box in the Magnum right now. I brought a pretty decent Specter CAI for the time being. No worries it's still being used. I already recharged the filter last year before the winter.
Just take simple green and clean the filter before you go to sleep and have a small fan near by and that filter will be as good as new by the morning.
Back to top Go down
BigM
CAMM Pro
BigM

PostSubject: Re: Mopar CAI Questions   Mopar CAI Questions I_icon_minitimeJune 10th 2014, 6:12 am

Their website spooks you by saying it takes a long time to dry.... that thing has a lot of surface area. I just rarely have time on the weekends to get any garage time these days!
Back to top Go down
Greyghost9
CAMM Member
Greyghost9

PostSubject: Re: Mopar CAI Questions   Mopar CAI Questions I_icon_minitimeJune 10th 2014, 7:39 am

Well if anyone else has one of these intake without the silencer on it I would be interested, not $97 interested but interested. I'm trying to increase HP on a budget, and keep my wife from killing my ass.
Back to top Go down
moaugust88
CAMM Pro
moaugust88

PostSubject: Re: Mopar CAI Questions   Mopar CAI Questions I_icon_minitimeJune 10th 2014, 11:45 am

Fair enough I'll beat that price. 96 dollars and not a penny less. Or try what I did for awhile, head over to a hardware store and get a PVC plug that fit the silencer opening and, as long as it isn't gonna be in a show for a bit, go that route till you find something else that you like.
Back to top Go down
BigM
CAMM Pro
BigM

PostSubject: Re: Mopar CAI Questions   Mopar CAI Questions I_icon_minitimeJune 10th 2014, 1:13 pm

Man that reminds me of my '96 Impala that had the LT1 engine. It had a huge air silence on the top of the engine that was ugly called it "home plate" because the shape. You could rip it off and put a hockey puck in the place and clamp it down. Looked weird but lots of folks put text on there to make it look cool.

Eventually I got a Camaro 1LE package intake elbow that didn't have any silencer. That was a fun car, they still look great on the road today.

Funny what 10 model years can do... 90 more hp and 60 more pound feet for my R/T R&T and I paid about the same price for both. The Impala I got used in 2000 and the Charger in 2011 so I guess the Charger was a bit "older" at the time but both had around ~23k miles.
Back to top Go down
Greyghost9
CAMM Member
Greyghost9

PostSubject: Re: Mopar CAI Questions   Mopar CAI Questions I_icon_minitimeJune 11th 2014, 8:04 am

HAHA thanks Mo. I might just do what you said and take it off and plug it, I saw a guy online that cut it off and covered the hole with a piece off a plastic black mud flap. It actually didn't look terrible and cost a lot less that $96. Does the silencer just twist off?
Back to top Go down
moaugust88
CAMM Pro
moaugust88

PostSubject: Re: Mopar CAI Questions   Mopar CAI Questions I_icon_minitimeJune 11th 2014, 7:12 pm

I think so on those newer ones, the old ones you have to remove a clamp.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mopar CAI Questions   Mopar CAI Questions I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mopar CAI Questions
Page 1 of 1