Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Steering Wheels

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
markpleasure
CAMM Member
markpleasure

Steering Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Steering Wheels   Steering Wheels I_icon_minitimeDecember 20th 2011, 11:33 am

I am about to order a leather wrap steering wheel off Ebay for 80 bucks. Will the wheels with the info work on mine. SE model or should I just get the plain one without the info.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

Steering Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Wheels   Steering Wheels I_icon_minitimeDecember 20th 2011, 2:36 pm

By "info" im assuming you mean the EVIC. If your car doesnt have EVIC already then you will not be able to add it. Get the steering wheel without the controls.
Back to top Go down
markpleasure
CAMM Member
markpleasure

Steering Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Wheels   Steering Wheels I_icon_minitimeDecember 20th 2011, 2:56 pm

Ok, I will do that then. Who here knows how to put one on?
Back to top Go down
firestartr420
CAMM All-Star
firestartr420

Steering Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Wheels   Steering Wheels I_icon_minitimeDecember 20th 2011, 5:18 pm

the steering wheel isnt a difficult job, however, you need to be extra careful when removing the Airbag. Make sure the battery is disconnected. I would remove both leads (+ and - ), and I would touch each lead to ground, and wait at least 30 min's so as to discharge any capacitors that might be in the system still holing some charge. The airbag is expensive to replace if you blow the bag during install and removal, and from what I gather, any voltage on the system when you remove the plug could make the bag blow. So with that said.... The steering wheel should be an easy replacement... Its 4 bolts on the back side of the wheel that hold the airbag assembly in place. once you remove the airbag, you may have to remove the lower steering column cover and disconnect any plugs, then behind the air bag assembly, should be one large bolt holding the wheel to the column. remove that and the wheel should pull right off.

Here, this is copied directly from the 2008 LX Service Manual on removal of the the steering wheel.

REMOVAL
WARNING: Before servicing the steering column the airbag system must be disarmed. Refer to electrical restraint system for service procedures. Failure to do so may result in accidental deployment of the airbag and possible personal injury.

CAUTION: All fasteners must be torqued to specification to ensure proper operation of the steering column.

1. Position the front wheels straight-ahead.
2. Fully extend or pull out adjustable steering column.
3. Disconnect the negative (ground) cable from the battery.
4. Remove the airbag (3). (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/RESTRAINTS/DRIVER AIRBAG - REMOVAL).

5. Remove the steering wheel retainer bolt (2), then slide the steering wheel (1) off the shaft.
6. If wheel is being replaced, transfer attached components as necessary.
Back to top Go down
markpleasure
CAMM Member
markpleasure

Steering Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Wheels   Steering Wheels I_icon_minitimeDecember 20th 2011, 9:40 pm

Tom,
Thanks for sharing. Sounds easy. When it comes in I will have to put my skills to the test. If all else fells I will call you.
Back to top Go down
inkedup
CAMM All-Star
inkedup

Steering Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Wheels   Steering Wheels I_icon_minitimeDecember 20th 2011, 10:24 pm

I've been wantingto get my controls out to paint but I fear the airbag
Back to top Go down
markpleasure
CAMM Member
markpleasure

Steering Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Wheels   Steering Wheels I_icon_minitimeDecember 20th 2011, 10:27 pm

Man my bootleg ass rubber wheels are falling apart, that is why I want the leather wrap wheels....leather so soft!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Steering Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Wheels   Steering Wheels I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Steering Wheels
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars :: The Garage :: Interior-
Jump to: