Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Brake problem

Go down 
+4
Moparcharger07
Headtripp
jontoad
Illinois Chaos
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

Brake problem Empty
PostSubject: Brake problem   Brake problem I_icon_minitimeNovember 9th 2011, 8:24 pm

So for most of this race season my brakes have been a little weird. The car stops fine and all. I have ABS disabled, but I'm only stopping at under 130 mph. That part is fine. I have a soft pedal issue, that has cost me several races and a ton of dough. It happens on the line when I brake torque it up against the converter. It jumps at around 2000 rpm. It used to ramp to around 27-2800 before the rear brakes would let loose. I even have a good line lock on the car.

Last week I bled the brakes for 3 days in a row. No chage in pedal firmness. Today I installed a set of Stoptech SS braided lines and I will gravity bleed it again tomorrow. The brake shoes and rotors all look fine to me, but I do have a fresh set of bendix pads at the ready.

Oh yeah, I forgot to say what caused this. I was getting an alignment at Mr. Norm's when I noticed a little brake fluid on the right rear caliper. A banjo bolt on the fitting was loose. Maybe I just have massive amounts of air that only power bleeding can get out.
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

Brake problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake problem   Brake problem I_icon_minitimeNovember 9th 2011, 8:51 pm

at the beginning of the the season i bleed all new fluid in. using brembo evo 500+ fluid, stoptech braided lines, and titanium backing plates for the pads.

i had a soft pedal once and it was because i tried to track on old fluid. after the first lap my foot went to the floor going into the stop box. it was a little scary. ever since then i do a full fluid replace every spring and i also bleed some out before each track day to have fresh fluid in the system.

most normal brake fluids have very low "wet" boiling points. water from condensation gets in the lines and contaminates brake fluid fast. with a low wet boiling point you will get air in the lines when it boils causing all sorts of problems. i pick brake fluids by which one has a great "wet" boiling point or doesn't drop off as much when wet.
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

Brake problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake problem   Brake problem I_icon_minitimeNovember 10th 2011, 9:50 am

Thanks, Jon. System has all fresh fluid. See what happens after bleeding again with the new ss braided lines.
Back to top Go down
Headtripp
Founding Member
Founding Member
Headtripp

Brake problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake problem   Brake problem I_icon_minitimeNovember 10th 2011, 11:17 am

Tom you might as well upgrade your breaks to something like Baer and when this happens I have dibs on the brembos.
It is really the only next logical step Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

Brake problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake problem   Brake problem I_icon_minitimeNovember 10th 2011, 4:31 pm

Just ran my 3rd big bottle of bf through it. The ss lines are on. They still feel soft. The pedal just sinks after I pump them up.
Back to top Go down
Moparcharger07
CAMM Member
Moparcharger07

Brake problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake problem   Brake problem I_icon_minitimeNovember 10th 2011, 6:31 pm

There might be an air bubble in the ABS system or something liek that, those are a bitch to get out, it might have sucked up through that loose fitting and all the way up there, OR taking a long shot, the mater or booster might be fucked up. Is the booster getting the correct vacuum?? With all the mods ya know man??
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

Brake problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake problem   Brake problem I_icon_minitimeNovember 10th 2011, 6:40 pm

I had the exact same problem with mine. The pedal felt too soft. When I drove my Brothers Daytona, it felt like it should so I know mine wasnt how its supposed to feel. I never figured it out, I changed rotors, pads, flushed the brake fluid with new fluid. The only thing I didnt do was the SS lines but that was going to be my next step.
Back to top Go down
KevinDSClark
CAMM Pro
KevinDSClark

Brake problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake problem   Brake problem I_icon_minitimeNovember 11th 2011, 7:58 am

It would appear that there is an air pocket in the master. I would start there rather than in the lines at this point.
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

Brake problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake problem   Brake problem I_icon_minitimeNovember 11th 2011, 8:36 am

Moparcharger06 wrote:
There might be an air bubble in the ABS system or something liek that, those are a bitch to get out, it might have sucked up through that loose fitting and all the way up there, OR taking a long shot, the mater or booster might be fucked up. Is the booster getting the correct vacuum?? With all the mods ya know man??
This is all greek to me.

KevinDSClark wrote:
It would appear that there is an air pocket in the master. I would start there rather than in the lines at this point.
How do you get the air pocket out of the master?
Back to top Go down
firestartr420
CAMM All-Star
firestartr420

Brake problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake problem   Brake problem I_icon_minitimeNovember 11th 2011, 9:14 am

im going to agree with everyone in saying its probably an air bubble.... Bleeding the master is a bitch, i believe you have to remove the lines from the master cylinder and pump the fluid through each port.. then move down the line to the abs controller, and then down to the calipers, removing the ends of the fittings and bleeding fluid through each line...at least this is process i've used in the past and has seemed to work for me.
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

Brake problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake problem   Brake problem I_icon_minitimeNovember 11th 2011, 1:09 pm

Well I think I finally got it. I kept working that rear pass side that I found the loose fitting on. Got a pop and saw a bubble again today. Did the other rear quick. Started up and it feels much better now. The line lock is rock hard again. the regular brakes feel harder on the pedal, not rock hard but just gives a little and still feels firm with very little give. 2 in. or so and a feeling of pressure when it does give instead of that wimpy give I was getting.
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

Brake problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake problem   Brake problem I_icon_minitimeNovember 11th 2011, 1:40 pm

Just get a fucking parachute!!!
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

Brake problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake problem   Brake problem I_icon_minitimeNovember 11th 2011, 3:17 pm

Shawn1112 wrote:
Just get a fucking parachute!!!

I'd like to need one, lol.
Back to top Go down
Moparcharger07
CAMM Member
Moparcharger07

Brake problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake problem   Brake problem I_icon_minitimeNovember 11th 2011, 11:58 pm

On some scanners you can "engage" the ABS pump, if you can get a scanner that can do that, open one fitting at a time, and engage the pump, keep the master full and hope for the best to see a bubble pop out. That's the next step I'd have to say if ya can't get it man
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

Brake problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake problem   Brake problem I_icon_minitimeNovember 12th 2011, 6:08 am

Moparcharger06 wrote:
On some scanners you can "engage" the ABS pump, if you can get a scanner that can do that, open one fitting at a time, and engage the pump, keep the master full and hope for the best to see a bubble pop out. That's the next step I'd have to say if ya can't get it man

It's better, I'll keep bleeding that pass rear some more and see if I can't get some more air out. The pedal is much better, but could be firmer.
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

Brake problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake problem   Brake problem I_icon_minitimeNovember 12th 2011, 8:48 pm

Must be fixed, I never jumped once at the line today. The kid is BACK! kickin' it. Brake torqued all day with NO issues.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Brake problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake problem   Brake problem I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brake problem
Page 1 of 1