Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How loud are dry sway bar bushings?

Go down 
+4
firestartr420
Moparcharger07
jontoad
liljoejoe54
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

How loud are dry sway bar bushings? Empty
PostSubject: How loud are dry sway bar bushings?   How loud are dry sway bar bushings? I_icon_minitimeJuly 18th 2011, 4:12 pm

Lately I have been noticing a loud squeek/creeking noise coming from my front end when I am driving it and also when I push down on the bumper. Its very noticeable with the radio off and im hoping its just the sway bar bushings that just need to be re-lubed. Has anybody had to re-lube their bushings and can you tell me if the noise was really loud? I got the Chubby sways and havent lubed them in over a year.I just want to get an idea before i get my chunky ass under the car and cant pin point the noise.
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: How loud are dry sway bar bushings?   How loud are dry sway bar bushings? I_icon_minitimeJuly 18th 2011, 4:25 pm

never had to lube mine, ever.

my truck made that noise under the same movement and it was the ball joints.

but you never know. lubing a sway bar bushing is like a 10 minute job so it wouldn't hurt to rule it out. 2 bolts per heat shield and 2 bolts for the brackets. you wouldn't even have to un hook the end links.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: How loud are dry sway bar bushings?   How loud are dry sway bar bushings? I_icon_minitimeJuly 18th 2011, 5:13 pm

jontoad wrote:
never had to lube mine, ever.

my truck made that noise under the same movement and it was the ball joints.

but you never know. lubing a sway bar bushing is like a 10 minute job so it wouldn't hurt to rule it out. 2 bolts per heat shield and 2 bolts for the brackets. you wouldn't even have to un hook the end links.

Fuck, I hope its not the balljoints. I have lubed up the sway bushings before and yeah its easy but my garage isnt heated and its supposed to be 90+ tomorrow so im not looking forward to it, lol. Ill check the balljoints when i got the car jacked up.

In case it is the balljoints, anybody got any recommendations on a good replacement? Id prefer some with grease fittings.
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: How loud are dry sway bar bushings?   How loud are dry sway bar bushings? I_icon_minitimeJuly 18th 2011, 5:28 pm

can't go wrong with moog parts.

its a good thing you said you garage isn't heated... Laughing
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: How loud are dry sway bar bushings?   How loud are dry sway bar bushings? I_icon_minitimeJuly 18th 2011, 5:55 pm

jontoad wrote:
can't go wrong with moog parts.

its a good thing you said you garage isn't heated... Laughing

LMAO, I meant it isnt air conditioned.
Back to top Go down
Moparcharger07
CAMM Member
Moparcharger07

PostSubject: Re: How loud are dry sway bar bushings?   How loud are dry sway bar bushings? I_icon_minitimeJuly 18th 2011, 6:34 pm

Yeah, I'd check the sways first, hell, disconnect them, then lower the car down and see if it still does it. IF it does still, check the ball joints. OR to rule out the tie rods, pop the outer tie rods off the knuckle, and see if it still does it, then if it does, you know the suspension is making the noise, not the steering components.

I've seen sway bar links, sway bar bushings, ball joints, and even the tension struts make funky noises like that. Gotta love how newere cars don't have grease fittings. We got an upper control arm at the shop for a Charger from Carquest that had a grease fitting on the ball joint the other day. But like Jon said, Moog is pretty good and they got GREAT lifetime warranties usually
Back to top Go down
firestartr420
CAMM All-Star
firestartr420

PostSubject: Re: How loud are dry sway bar bushings?   How loud are dry sway bar bushings? I_icon_minitimeJuly 18th 2011, 7:37 pm

Moparcharger06 wrote:

Gotta love how newere cars don't have grease fittings. We got an upper control arm at the shop for a Charger from Carquest that had a grease fitting on the ball joint the other day. But like Jon said, Moog is pretty good and they got GREAT lifetime warranties usually

Its called "Planned obsolescence", and it sucks usually.
Back to top Go down
inkedup
CAMM All-Star
inkedup

PostSubject: Re: How loud are dry sway bar bushings?   How loud are dry sway bar bushings? I_icon_minitimeJuly 19th 2011, 7:55 pm

my ass end makes a weird noise when i pull out of the drive sometimes.....
Back to top Go down
chargerchick
CAMM All-Star
chargerchick

PostSubject: Re: How loud are dry sway bar bushings?   How loud are dry sway bar bushings? I_icon_minitimeJuly 19th 2011, 9:50 pm

inkedup wrote:
my ass end makes a weird noise when i pull out of the drive sometimes.....

You know you just set yourself up for comments, right? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
inkedup
CAMM All-Star
inkedup

PostSubject: Re: How loud are dry sway bar bushings?   How loud are dry sway bar bushings? I_icon_minitimeJuly 19th 2011, 9:53 pm

Yep.thanks just realized that. Oh well .....I meant the cars ass end nor mine
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: How loud are dry sway bar bushings?   How loud are dry sway bar bushings? I_icon_minitimeJuly 19th 2011, 10:16 pm

Ok guys im going to attempt to lube the bushings and check for more squeeks tomorrow in 95 degree heat. If I dont post back in here by tomorrow night, chances are I melted or my fat ass died from heat stroke. Ill let you know if I find the problem.
Back to top Go down
inkedup
CAMM All-Star
inkedup

PostSubject: Re: How loud are dry sway bar bushings?   How loud are dry sway bar bushings? I_icon_minitimeJuly 19th 2011, 10:18 pm

Take it somewhere let them sweat
Back to top Go down
inkedup
CAMM All-Star
inkedup

PostSubject: Re: How loud are dry sway bar bushings?   How loud are dry sway bar bushings? I_icon_minitimeJuly 19th 2011, 10:19 pm

That gives me an idea a bar/oil change place
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: How loud are dry sway bar bushings?   How loud are dry sway bar bushings? I_icon_minitimeJuly 19th 2011, 10:20 pm

inkedup wrote:

I dont like other people working on my car. And I sure as hell dont like paying for it, lol.
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: How loud are dry sway bar bushings?   How loud are dry sway bar bushings? I_icon_minitimeJuly 20th 2011, 6:36 am

liljoejoe54 wrote:
inkedup wrote:

I dont like other people working on my car. And I sure as hell dont like paying for it, lol.
X2....
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: How loud are dry sway bar bushings?   How loud are dry sway bar bushings? I_icon_minitimeJuly 20th 2011, 10:51 am

Ok while I was jacking the car up, I heard the noise again but it seemed like it was coming from the upper control arm area. My upper balljoint boot is ripped so there is a good chance that is the problem. I also know the upper control arm bolts come loose every once in a great while so I am going to check to see if they are still tight. In case its the balljoint, does anybody know how to change them? It looks like it was pressed into the control arm and I dont know how to remove it.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: How loud are dry sway bar bushings?   How loud are dry sway bar bushings? I_icon_minitimeJuly 20th 2011, 11:17 am

Ok Im 90% sure its the upper balljoint. I sprayed some gel lube inside the hole in the boot and the noise went away for a few minutes while driving then came back right before I went into my garage. Before I lubed, the noise would always be there while I drove. Im done for today cuz its too fucking hot out.
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: How loud are dry sway bar bushings?   How loud are dry sway bar bushings? I_icon_minitimeJuly 20th 2011, 12:00 pm

Adam would be the person to ask. I think you take the nut off and beat the control arm with a sledge hammer till the ball joint pops. I have done that on a minivan before. I know that Autozone rents the correct tool.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: How loud are dry sway bar bushings?   How loud are dry sway bar bushings? I_icon_minitimeJuly 20th 2011, 12:01 pm

Shawn1112 wrote:
Adam would be the person to ask. I think you take the nut off and beat the control arm with a sledge hammer till the ball joint pops. I have done that on a minivan before. I know that Autozone rents the correct tool.

Thanks Shawn.
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: How loud are dry sway bar bushings?   How loud are dry sway bar bushings? I_icon_minitimeJuly 20th 2011, 12:41 pm

Pickle Fork.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: How loud are dry sway bar bushings?   How loud are dry sway bar bushings? I_icon_minitimeJuly 20th 2011, 12:50 pm

Illinois Chaos wrote:
Pickle Fork.

I have one of those but thats used to separate the ball joint from the knuckle, which I know how to do. I just didnt know how to remove the balljoint from the upper control arm. But I guess like Shawn said, it probably has to be removed with a big ass hammer.
Back to top Go down
Moparcharger07
CAMM Member
Moparcharger07

PostSubject: Re: How loud are dry sway bar bushings?   How loud are dry sway bar bushings? I_icon_minitimeJuly 20th 2011, 6:17 pm

Yeah, TOTALLY man, if the boot is ripped, then water got inside it and the grease that came in it, came out. So there is no lubrication in the ball joint. It'll definately make noise for sure then man.

As for replacement, it'll be the whole upper control arm you'll need to replace. JUST the ball joint isn't service-able. It's not too hard, the only hard part is taking out the bolts where with arm mounts. You'll have to lower or remove the strut/spring assembly, and pop the upper ball joint nut loose, then beat the knuckle where the ball joint goes through. Leave the nut on it loosely though, so the knuckle doesn't fall and hit ya or rip the abs wire. Then from there it's a matter of fishing you're hands behind the fuse box to the one nut, and under/behind the cowl area to get to the other nut.

It seems like a pain, but once you get going, it'll go smoothly
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: How loud are dry sway bar bushings?   How loud are dry sway bar bushings? I_icon_minitimeJuly 20th 2011, 7:09 pm

Moparcharger06 wrote:
Yeah, TOTALLY man, if the boot is ripped, then water got inside it and the grease that came in it, came out. So there is no lubrication in the ball joint. It'll definately make noise for sure then man.

As for replacement, it'll be the whole upper control arm you'll need to replace. JUST the ball joint isn't service-able. It's not too hard, the only hard part is taking out the bolts where with arm mounts. You'll have to lower or remove the strut/spring assembly, and pop the upper ball joint nut loose, then beat the knuckle where the ball joint goes through. Leave the nut on it loosely though, so the knuckle doesn't fall and hit ya or rip the abs wire. Then from there it's a matter of fishing you're hands behind the fuse box to the one nut, and under/behind the cowl area to get to the other nut.

It seems like a pain, but once you get going, it'll go smoothly

Thanks Adam! It is the drivers side so I know I will have to remove the coolant tank which isnt hard. Im sure I can figure it out.

Im gonna go price some parts!
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: How loud are dry sway bar bushings?   How loud are dry sway bar bushings? I_icon_minitimeJuly 20th 2011, 7:12 pm

Car Quest usually stocks the parts
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: How loud are dry sway bar bushings?   How loud are dry sway bar bushings? I_icon_minitimeJuly 20th 2011, 7:17 pm

Shawn1112 wrote:
Car Quest usually stocks the parts

Sweet, there is one a half block from my house. Ill go talk to the dude tomorrow. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How loud are dry sway bar bushings?   How loud are dry sway bar bushings? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How loud are dry sway bar bushings?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next