Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My Suspension Clunk FIXED!

Go down 
+4
moros323
Moparcharger07
xegitalian19xx
Admin
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Founding Member
Founding Member
Admin

My Suspension Clunk FIXED! Empty
PostSubject: My Suspension Clunk FIXED!   My Suspension Clunk FIXED! I_icon_minitimeJune 17th 2009, 11:33 am

I've had a slight clunk in my drivers side suspension for sometime was getting worse and worse over time. I pulled out the shock assembly tonight in hopes of trying to isolate the problem. There's been a lot of talk about the tension struts, sway bar links and the sway bar bushings lately, so I thought I'd take a good look at those.

I went through everything and found nothing. No worn or torn bushings, loose nuts or anything else in the wheel well until I grabbed onto the upper control arm and started yanking on it. I was able to move the thing side to side and duplicated the noise by hand.

I raised the coolant reservoir and to my surprise, I could almost turn the nut by hand off the bolt. I never figured one of the two nuts I've never turned on the suspension would end up being the issue, but it was. I tightened her up, got everything back together and went for my first clunk-free drive in a long time.

Symptoms of this were occasional clunking on bumps, applying the brakes into low speed uphill turns, and hard turns. If you've got a clunk like this, it's worth giving this a check.

Here's the location of the play I discovered:

My Suspension Clunk FIXED! Clunk

My Suspension Clunk FIXED! S5001228

And like I mentioned, the nut to tighten this is behind the coolant reservoir. There's also another nut on the opposite side of the shock tower. Both need to be tightened to 55 FT Pounds.
Back to top Go down
xegitalian19xx
Founding Member
Founding Member
xegitalian19xx

PostSubject: Re: My Suspension Clunk FIXED!   My Suspension Clunk FIXED! I_icon_minitimeJune 17th 2009, 11:35 am

Good info right there!
Back to top Go down
Moparcharger07
CAMM Member
Moparcharger07

PostSubject: Re: My Suspension Clunk FIXED!   My Suspension Clunk FIXED! I_icon_minitimeJune 24th 2009, 9:52 am

I'm gonna take a look at mine now. I hear a clunk on hard bumps from the front. Being a front end guy (alignments, replacing front end parts, etc.) at the shop, it REALLY bugged me I couldn't find the problem. I checked EVERYTHING too!!! Well, I thought I did LOL Good info, thanks Matt!!!!
Back to top Go down
moros323
CAMM Pro
moros323

PostSubject: Re: My Suspension Clunk FIXED!   My Suspension Clunk FIXED! I_icon_minitimeJune 29th 2014, 2:40 pm

I have a loud bang under braking...turns out it is lower control arm bushing kinda funny the guy at the body shop told me it was the lateral arm but did research and it is actually called the lower control arm lol
Back to top Go down
moros323
CAMM Pro
moros323

PostSubject: Re: My Suspension Clunk FIXED!   My Suspension Clunk FIXED! I_icon_minitimeJune 29th 2014, 2:41 pm

I have 1 question though are the lower control arms hard to replace...is this something I can do? It is the forward ones not the rearward...
Back to top Go down
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

PostSubject: Re: My Suspension Clunk FIXED!   My Suspension Clunk FIXED! I_icon_minitimeJune 29th 2014, 3:37 pm

I get confused with all the different names for the front suspension parts, but it sounds like you are talking about, what I call, the tension struts? If so then the are pretty easy to change out, I'd have to look again, but I think it was just two bolts each.

bill
Back to top Go down
moros323
CAMM Pro
moros323

PostSubject: Re: My Suspension Clunk FIXED!   My Suspension Clunk FIXED! I_icon_minitimeJune 29th 2014, 5:43 pm

Yeah it said something about being careful with the bolt that comes out of the engine cradle so was debating on if I should mess with it or not because it deals with the alignment....Another question why does it say not to spray carb cleaner into the intake?
Back to top Go down
firestartr420
CAMM All-Star
firestartr420

PostSubject: Re: My Suspension Clunk FIXED!   My Suspension Clunk FIXED! I_icon_minitimeJune 29th 2014, 5:48 pm

My Suspension Clunk FIXED! Suspension_And_Steering_Parts
Back to top Go down
firestartr420
CAMM All-Star
firestartr420

PostSubject: Re: My Suspension Clunk FIXED!   My Suspension Clunk FIXED! I_icon_minitimeJune 29th 2014, 5:50 pm

My Suspension Clunk FIXED! Steering2
Back to top Go down
moros323
CAMM Pro
moros323

PostSubject: Re: My Suspension Clunk FIXED!   My Suspension Clunk FIXED! I_icon_minitimeJune 29th 2014, 6:03 pm

Yeah the front of the C looks different then both of those there is 2 forward control arms and 2 rearward on the front end....
Back to top Go down
moros323
CAMM Pro
moros323

PostSubject: Re: My Suspension Clunk FIXED!   My Suspension Clunk FIXED! I_icon_minitimeJune 29th 2014, 6:06 pm

I guess they call them tension struts in the srm, lateral arms at the body shop and forward lower control arms when you order them online...crazy shit
Back to top Go down
moros323
CAMM Pro
moros323

PostSubject: Re: My Suspension Clunk FIXED!   My Suspension Clunk FIXED! I_icon_minitimeJune 29th 2014, 6:50 pm

Wow the srm is crazy I was looking at it and it shows tension strut and lower control arm both but they look exactly the same wtf I ordered the moog lower control arms forward hope it is the right part!!!
Back to top Go down
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

PostSubject: Re: My Suspension Clunk FIXED!   My Suspension Clunk FIXED! I_icon_minitimeJune 29th 2014, 6:56 pm

I would change everything you are planning on changing, then go get an alignment. If I remember correctly, one end of the tension strut has a slotted hole with a super secret bolt that is used for alignment, so when you pull it out, it needs to be re-adjusted. I've taken my car up to Adam's shop for an alignment a few times now, he'll take care of you.

bill
Back to top Go down
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

PostSubject: Re: My Suspension Clunk FIXED!   My Suspension Clunk FIXED! I_icon_minitimeJune 29th 2014, 7:06 pm

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/attachments/suspension-handling-modifications/34204d1256946754-front-rear-suspension-diagram-tension-strut3.jpg
Back to top Go down
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

PostSubject: Re: My Suspension Clunk FIXED!   My Suspension Clunk FIXED! I_icon_minitimeJune 29th 2014, 7:07 pm

the control arm bolts to the shock assembly... I think.
Back to top Go down
moaugust88
CAMM Pro
moaugust88

PostSubject: Re: My Suspension Clunk FIXED!   My Suspension Clunk FIXED! I_icon_minitimeJune 29th 2014, 9:50 pm

The tension strut bolts to the spindle.
Back to top Go down
firestartr420
CAMM All-Star
firestartr420

PostSubject: Re: My Suspension Clunk FIXED!   My Suspension Clunk FIXED! I_icon_minitimeJune 30th 2014, 12:08 am

i was just posting those documents for reference... the design on each car will be different, but the components are still the same, and you get a basic general idea of what you're looking at...
Back to top Go down
BigM
CAMM Pro
BigM

PostSubject: Re: My Suspension Clunk FIXED!   My Suspension Clunk FIXED! I_icon_minitimeJuly 1st 2014, 10:29 pm

My Suspension Clunk FIXED! Lx_fro10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Suspension Clunk FIXED!   My Suspension Clunk FIXED! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Suspension Clunk FIXED!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars :: The Garage :: Wheels and Suspension-
Jump to: