Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Any chance on saving my rotors?

Go down 
+2
jontoad
liljoejoe54
6 posters
AuthorMessage
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

Any chance on saving my rotors? Empty
PostSubject: Any chance on saving my rotors?   Any chance on saving my rotors? I_icon_minitimeApril 29th 2011, 5:49 pm

I have the R1 drilled and slotted premium rotors and have had them for almost 3 years with no problems.....until a couple weeks ago. When I was changing my winter rims and putting on my summer set, I noticed the inside of the rotors were all cut up so I was planning on having the rotors cut to fix them. Then a day after I switched my rims (also rotated back to front but kept the rims on the same side as I had them last summer before I took them off) I noticed my steering wheel shaking when I hit the brakes doing about 60mph so Im assuming my rotors are now warped. The rotors themselves are still pretty thick so I know they can be cut but if I cut them, what are the chances that would true them to the point where they arent warped anymore? I know if they cut too much, I will loose the slots in them and that would suck pee pee. I have the extra cash to buy new rotors but I really dont feel like spending $200 right now, lol. Whats your advise?
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: Any chance on saving my rotors?   Any chance on saving my rotors? I_icon_minitimeApril 29th 2011, 7:08 pm

talk to adam.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Any chance on saving my rotors?   Any chance on saving my rotors? I_icon_minitimeApril 29th 2011, 7:47 pm

jontoad wrote:
talk to adam.

I got a place that cuts them already. I just never tried to cut warped drilled and slotted rotors before and dont know whats gonna happen.
Back to top Go down
Headtripp
Founding Member
Founding Member
Headtripp

PostSubject: Re: Any chance on saving my rotors?   Any chance on saving my rotors? I_icon_minitimeApril 29th 2011, 8:58 pm

They will take them down to the deepest groove not the slots but the grooves that are not supposed to be there it should fix minor warping but only if it is very minor. I should kept the daytonas rotors and gave them too ya they were stock but in good shape still
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Any chance on saving my rotors?   Any chance on saving my rotors? I_icon_minitimeApril 29th 2011, 9:22 pm

Headtripp wrote:
They will take them down to the deepest groove not the slots but the grooves that are not supposed to be there it should fix minor warping but only if it is very minor. I should kept the daytonas rotors and gave them too ya they were stock but in good shape still

Thanks Vic. I guess I will find out for sure tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Moparcharger07
CAMM Member
Moparcharger07

PostSubject: Re: Any chance on saving my rotors?   Any chance on saving my rotors? I_icon_minitimeApril 29th 2011, 10:17 pm

Yeah, I'm sure they can try to cut them, and see what happens. The worst that can happen is they cut the slots out, then no more warping, but then on the same hand, you woulda needed to buy new ones anyways then.... ya know?
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Any chance on saving my rotors?   Any chance on saving my rotors? I_icon_minitimeApril 30th 2011, 8:19 am

Moparcharger06 wrote:
Yeah, I'm sure they can try to cut them, and see what happens. The worst that can happen is they cut the slots out, then no more warping, but then on the same hand, you woulda needed to buy new ones anyways then.... ya know?

Lol yeah no point in having drilled and slotted rotors if they dont have the slots. Ill see what happens and if the slots are gone or too shallow, ill buy the new ones and see if anybody on here wants the old ones for dirt cheap. Thanks Adam.
Back to top Go down
HemiMag
CAMM All-Star
HemiMag

PostSubject: Re: Any chance on saving my rotors?   Any chance on saving my rotors? I_icon_minitimeApril 30th 2011, 12:41 pm

I would advice you cutting them. The slots are also as wear indicators .....
Back to top Go down
HemiMag
CAMM All-Star
HemiMag

PostSubject: Re: Any chance on saving my rotors?   Any chance on saving my rotors? I_icon_minitimeApril 30th 2011, 12:44 pm

You're better off re bedding your breaks. If the inside have line you might wanna check out your pads first
Back to top Go down
Dartboy
Founding Member
Founding Member
Dartboy

PostSubject: Re: Any chance on saving my rotors?   Any chance on saving my rotors? I_icon_minitimeApril 30th 2011, 1:15 pm

joe...exact same thing with my car/R1's right now..... with the shaking and all...

replacing mine soon also...but dont know if I just need pads for the back and new rotors and pads up front...

need to call or check in with adam myself....
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Any chance on saving my rotors?   Any chance on saving my rotors? I_icon_minitimeApril 30th 2011, 1:51 pm

Dartboy wrote:
joe...exact same thing with my car/R1's right now..... with the shaking and all...

replacing mine soon also...but dont know if I just need pads for the back and new rotors and pads up front...

need to call or check in with adam myself....

Im going to pick my rotors up right now so ill let you know whats up. Im not putting the old pads back on, I have a new set of Hawk HPS heading my way. When I took the rotors off, I couldnt believe how gouged up they were. I have pics so ill post up when I get my car put back together.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Any chance on saving my rotors?   Any chance on saving my rotors? I_icon_minitimeApril 30th 2011, 6:35 pm

Stupid phone wont email my pics to my computer. Ill add them when I get them. Anyways, the rotors are saved. I took it out for a test drive and it feels much better. Im unsure on the shaking though since I havent gone that fast but the brakes feel much better now. I am not going to drive it until I get the new pads and then I am going to bed them and see how it feels then.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Any chance on saving my rotors?   Any chance on saving my rotors? I_icon_minitimeApril 30th 2011, 7:25 pm

Ok here are the pics.....
Any chance on saving my rotors? 2011-04-30093910

Any chance on saving my rotors? 2011-04-30093926

Here is what it looks like after I got them cut....
Any chance on saving my rotors? 2011-04-30151537

Im glad I didnt need new ones, lol.

Here are my old pads....
Any chance on saving my rotors? 2011-04-30_152523
You can see the outer pad (left) is twice as thick as the inner and had a shit ton of life left. The inners were worn down quite a bit. My calipers were in good condition and slid easily on the pins. The pistons moved with no problem as well.
Back to top Go down
Moparcharger07
CAMM Member
Moparcharger07

PostSubject: Re: Any chance on saving my rotors?   Any chance on saving my rotors? I_icon_minitimeApril 30th 2011, 9:55 pm

Holy shit man, those looked like crap before!! I'm REALLY surprized they cleaned up that good after being cut. Hell yeah man!!! That's awesome!!!

As for the thickness variation on the pads, I've seen them be like that with no issues of "frozen" pins and slides, sometimes it's just how they wear.

A little tip that Adaptive One gave us (we had a seminar from them through Napa), is to lube ALL metal to metal contact points, even under the slide hardware that clips onto the caliper bracket, as well as the whole back pad and the parts of the caliper that touches the outer pads with caliper slide lube, they said it cuts down on squeaks almost 100%. I've been doing it ever since and haven't had any comebacks with squeaks.

Dartboy, if you wanna try doing this let me know man, I know it's been like phone tag lately LoL
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Any chance on saving my rotors?   Any chance on saving my rotors? I_icon_minitimeApril 30th 2011, 10:01 pm

Moparcharger06 wrote:
Holy shit man, those looked like crap before!! I'm REALLY surprized they cleaned up that good after being cut. Hell yeah man!!! That's awesome!!!

As for the thickness variation on the pads, I've seen them be like that with no issues of "frozen" pins and slides, sometimes it's just how they wear.

A little tip that Adaptive One gave us (we had a seminar from them through Napa), is to lube ALL metal to metal contact points, even under the slide hardware that clips onto the caliper bracket, as well as the whole back pad and the parts of the caliper that touches the outer pads with caliper slide lube, they said it cuts down on squeaks almost 100%. I've been doing it ever since and haven't had any comebacks with squeaks.

Dartboy, if you wanna try doing this let me know man, I know it's been like phone tag lately LoL

Yeah I was surprised as hell that they were able to cut them and save the slots. I thought for sure id have to buy a new set. Thanks for the info, ill make sure to use some lube.
Back to top Go down
Moparcharger07
CAMM Member
Moparcharger07

PostSubject: Re: Any chance on saving my rotors?   Any chance on saving my rotors? I_icon_minitimeApril 30th 2011, 10:05 pm

You know that they say, never go in dry Hump
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Any chance on saving my rotors?   Any chance on saving my rotors? I_icon_minitimeApril 30th 2011, 10:07 pm

Moparcharger06 wrote:
You know that they say, never go in dry Hump

Unless she is acting like a ****, lol.
Back to top Go down
Dartboy
Founding Member
Founding Member
Dartboy

PostSubject: Re: Any chance on saving my rotors?   Any chance on saving my rotors? I_icon_minitimeMay 2nd 2011, 12:50 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390306437874&viewitem=

good price...free shipping... espcially for all 4
Back to top Go down
Dartboy
Founding Member
Founding Member
Dartboy

PostSubject: Re: Any chance on saving my rotors?   Any chance on saving my rotors? I_icon_minitimeMay 2nd 2011, 12:57 pm

joe I ordered those one in the link above...

askin adam to help me install the new ones when they come in...

if he dont want or need my old rotors... you are more than welcome to them...
they may need cutting like yours did... but at least you will have a extra set once yours wear down... Very Happy

but ya gotta come get em and help put the manifold on with me!! lol Wink Cool

Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Any chance on saving my rotors?   Any chance on saving my rotors? I_icon_minitimeMay 2nd 2011, 2:28 pm

Dartboy wrote:
joe I ordered those one in the link above...

askin adam to help me install the new ones when they come in...

if he dont want or need my old rotors... you are more than welcome to them...
they may need cutting like yours did... but at least you will have a extra set once yours wear down... Very Happy

but ya gotta come get em and help put the manifold on with me!! lol Wink Cool

Lol you got yourself a god damn deal bro!
Back to top Go down
Dartboy
Founding Member
Founding Member
Dartboy

PostSubject: Re: Any chance on saving my rotors?   Any chance on saving my rotors? I_icon_minitimeMay 3rd 2011, 11:15 am

thought you may want em.... and dont think mine are near as bad as what yours looked like!

will let ya know when my new ones come in and old ones are ready for ya!
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Any chance on saving my rotors?   Any chance on saving my rotors? I_icon_minitimeMay 7th 2011, 8:41 pm

Put the new pads on and they feel awesome! Much better than before.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any chance on saving my rotors?   Any chance on saving my rotors? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any chance on saving my rotors?
Page 1 of 1