Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

how to site for changing rear pads/rotors or.....

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
pjcharger
CAMM Pro
pjcharger

how to site for changing rear pads/rotors or..... Empty
PostSubject: how to site for changing rear pads/rotors or.....   how to site for changing rear pads/rotors or..... I_icon_minitimeFebruary 4th 2011, 10:26 pm

is it basically the same as changing the fronts? Pardon the ignorance but we just did the fronts in Nov now need to do the rears also, heard the same indicator noises. Bro in law coming over tomorrow, anything different about the rears?

I thought I had the website that showed step by step for the fronts bookmarked but now i cant find the darn thing.

Thanks for helpin the noob
Back to top Go down
Moparcharger07
CAMM Member
Moparcharger07

PostSubject: Re: how to site for changing rear pads/rotors or.....   how to site for changing rear pads/rotors or..... I_icon_minitimeFebruary 4th 2011, 10:58 pm

Removal REAR

1. Raise and support vehicle.

2. Remove wheel mounting nuts, then tire and wheel assembly.

NOTE: In some cases, it may be necessary to retract caliper piston in its bore a small amount in order to provide sufficient clearance between shoes and rotor to easily remove caliper from knuckle. This can usually be accomplished before guide pin bolts are removed, by grasping rear of caliper and pulling outward working with guide pins, thus retracting piston. Never push on piston directly as it may get damaged.

3. Remove two caliper guide pin bolts securing disc brake caliper adapter to the caliper bracket. To do so, hold the guide pin stationary while turning the bolt.

4. Remove disc brake caliper and adapter from knuckle as an assembly. Hang assembly out of way using wire or a bungee cord. Use care not to overextend brake hose when doing this.

5. Rotate caliper downward, exposing brake pads. Use care not to overextend brake hose when doing this or damage may occur.

6. Remove inboard and outboard brake pads from caliper adapter.

7. If necessary, remove anti-rattle clips from upper and lower abutments of adapter.

8. Remove any clips retaining brake rotor to wheel mounting studs.

9. Slide brake rotor off hub and bearing.

Basically just reverse for installation

Installation REAR

1. Clean hub face to remove any dirt or corrosion where brake rotor mounts.

2. Install brake rotor over wheel mounting studs and onto hub. (I like to use a lug nut to hold the rotor in place so it's not flopping around)

(Completely retract caliper piston back into bore of caliper. To do so:
a. Remove fluid reservoir cap.
b. Use hand pressure or a C-clamp may be used to retract piston, first placing a wood block over piston before installing C-clamp to avoid damaging piston.
c. Install fluid reservoir cap. )

3. Install caliper bracket (or adapter as they call it)

(If removed, attach anti-rattle clips to upper and lower abutments of adapter (bracket)

4. Install NEW inboard and outboard brake pads on caliper adapter (bracket).

5. Push caliper guide pins into caliper adapter (bracket) to clear caliper mounting bosses when installing.

6. Rotate caliper upward, aligning upper mounting boss with upper guide pin.

7. Install disc brake caliper and adapter assembly over brake rotor.

8. Install tire and wheel assembly. Tighten wheel mounting nuts

9. Lower vehicle.

10. Pump brake pedal several times to ensure vehicle has a firm brake pedal before moving vehicle.

11. Check and adjust brake fluid level in reservoir as necessary.

CAUTION: If NEW brake rotors or pads have been installed, keep in mind that braking effectiveness might be somewhat reduced during the first brake applications following installation.

12. Road test vehicle and make several stops to wear off any foreign material on brakes and to seat brake shoes.

Don't forget to lube the caliper slides as well, I always like to put some caliper lube on the inside pad where the piston makes contact, as well as on the caliper where it makes contact on the outside pad as well. Helps to prevent squeaking.

Hope this helps man!!! cheers

Back to top Go down
pjcharger
CAMM Pro
pjcharger

PostSubject: Re: how to site for changing rear pads/rotors or.....   how to site for changing rear pads/rotors or..... I_icon_minitimeFebruary 5th 2011, 7:52 am

awesome!! printing now
Back to top Go down
Moparcharger07
CAMM Member
Moparcharger07

PostSubject: Re: how to site for changing rear pads/rotors or.....   how to site for changing rear pads/rotors or..... I_icon_minitimeFebruary 5th 2011, 10:57 pm

Hope it helps man!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how to site for changing rear pads/rotors or.....   how to site for changing rear pads/rotors or..... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

how to site for changing rear pads/rotors or.....
Page 1 of 1