Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

LED tail/brake light question

Go down 
+3
The Black Stig
Okie6.1
crazy933
7 posters
AuthorMessage
crazy933
CAMM Pro
crazy933

LED tail/brake light question Empty
PostSubject: LED tail/brake light question   LED tail/brake light question I_icon_minitimeJanuary 6th 2011, 9:24 pm

Has anyone replaced the incandesent brake and turn signals with LED's? If so did you need to put on resistors?

Back to top Go down
Okie6.1
CAMM All-Star
Okie6.1

PostSubject: Re: LED tail/brake light question   LED tail/brake light question I_icon_minitimeJanuary 6th 2011, 9:37 pm

The Black Stig did my tails and turn signals. I need to have him fix the turn signals as I get hyper flash when I use my turn signals.
Back to top Go down
The Black Stig
Supporting Vendor
The Black Stig

PostSubject: Re: LED tail/brake light question   LED tail/brake light question I_icon_minitimeJanuary 6th 2011, 10:57 pm

speaking of when u coming by lol
Back to top Go down
firestartr420
CAMM All-Star
firestartr420

PostSubject: Re: LED tail/brake light question   LED tail/brake light question I_icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2011, 12:33 am

i did research into this... for the rear light LED bulbs, you'll need to install resistors for the turn signals, and you'll also need to have a "dual element" or "dual circuit" bulb for the rear lights. Resistors only would be needed to do the front turn signals.
Back to top Go down
crazy933
CAMM Pro
crazy933

PostSubject: Re: LED tail/brake light question   LED tail/brake light question I_icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2011, 8:30 am

firestartr420 wrote:
i did research into this... for the rear light LED bulbs, you'll need to install resistors for the turn signals, and you'll also need to have a "dual element" or "dual circuit" bulb for the rear lights. Resistors only would be needed to do the front turn signals.

I was hoping to not need resistors, oh well, not a big dea to do. thanks.
Back to top Go down
crazy933
CAMM Pro
crazy933

PostSubject: Re: LED tail/brake light question   LED tail/brake light question I_icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2011, 10:00 am

Am I correct to say these cars do not have a flasher relay?
Back to top Go down
The Black Stig
Supporting Vendor
The Black Stig

PostSubject: Re: LED tail/brake light question   LED tail/brake light question I_icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2011, 11:34 am

crazy933 wrote:
Am I correct to say these cars do not have a flasher relay?

Yes you are correct, it's all controlled through the BCM, in theory if you had Dealer tech tool it would be a 2 min fix.... but time for some resistors!!!, you only do it to the wire that flashes you will not need be concerned about heat.
Back to top Go down
crazy933
CAMM Pro
crazy933

PostSubject: Re: LED tail/brake light question   LED tail/brake light question I_icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2011, 1:31 pm

I thought the resistors would heat up, since they are resistors.
Back to top Go down
arivera
CAMM Member
arivera

PostSubject: Re: LED tail/brake light question   LED tail/brake light question I_icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2011, 3:21 pm

i have the aftermarket LEDs and need the resistors. The dude i bought them from on the Z pre-installed the resistors and just left them on. the flash normally.
Back to top Go down
firestartr420
CAMM All-Star
firestartr420

PostSubject: Re: LED tail/brake light question   LED tail/brake light question I_icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2011, 4:49 pm

the resistors will heat up... but only a small small amount...most likely not even a noticeable amount of heat. The resistors arent very big (like 6 ohms only), they are just there to basically trick the computer into thinking you have a standard filiment bulb (the filiment in the bulb is a resistor which heats up to produce light)
Back to top Go down
crazy933
CAMM Pro
crazy933

PostSubject: Re: LED tail/brake light question   LED tail/brake light question I_icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2011, 7:07 pm

where is a good place to get the resistors from, any parts store? somewhere on-line? I have seen them online but want to get a good part and not a piece of crap
Back to top Go down
firestartr420
CAMM All-Star
firestartr420

PostSubject: Re: LED tail/brake light question   LED tail/brake light question I_icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2011, 11:39 pm

if i remember correctly, i've heard good things about superbrightleds.com. I havent gotten around to ordering anything from them though, but they have everything you would need, bulbs, resistors, and the like... im sure you could even go to your local radio shack and pick up some resistors of equal ohm and voltage rating.
Back to top Go down
Dave13
CAMM Member

PostSubject: Re: LED tail/brake light question   LED tail/brake light question I_icon_minitimeMarch 17th 2011, 10:54 am

Another simple way is to leave the incandescent bulb in the circuit, eliminating the need for a resistor. It it were me, I would use resisters in a value that I liked the speed that they operated, soldier and hear shrink them, and call it a day. Here is a good article on understanding LED lights.

http://www.customdynamics.com/led_motorcycle_lighting_faqs.htm
Back to top Go down
HemiMag
CAMM All-Star
HemiMag

PostSubject: Re: LED tail/brake light question   LED tail/brake light question I_icon_minitimeMarch 17th 2011, 11:30 am

Dave13 wrote:
Another simple way is to leave the incandescent bulb in the circuit, eliminating the need for a resistor. It it were me, I would use resisters in a value that I liked the speed that they operated, soldier and hear shrink them, and call it a day. Here is a good article on understanding LED lights.

http://www.customdynamics.com/led_motorcycle_lighting_faqs.htm

AGREED 100%,solder,heat shrink and you're done...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LED tail/brake light question   LED tail/brake light question I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

LED tail/brake light question
Page 1 of 1