Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Brake Job Hell

Go down 
+2
jontoad
Okie6.1
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Okie6.1
CAMM All-Star
Okie6.1

Brake Job Hell Empty
PostSubject: Brake Job Hell   Brake Job Hell I_icon_minitimeOctober 17th 2010, 9:54 pm

Well I was planning on completing a very easy brake job saturday but that didn't happen. It stated with one lug nut that was stuck on my rim this thing would not move took it to tire shop and they got it off. Well this little extra bit of work along with a meet up scheduled for some new snow tires and rims meant the brake job was on hold. Sunday rolls around and I get up to go get the brakes done. Front two rotors were no problem except for one thing. The hammer i was using to tap the old rotors off decided that it wanted to become two seperate pieces. The head of the hammer had a laser guiding it right to my wheel i swear. So now I have a nice crack in the chroming and small dent. Front brakes done and so now on to the rears. This is where the real shitty part happened I took the caliper off and the started taking the caliper braket off and it didn't want to budge. Fast forward an hour later pissed off and tired I am hold two bolts and have two stripped threads. So I have to retap the threads with a helicoil to fix threads. I started at nine in the morning and fiished at four in the afternoon. Damn I am glad that it is done now. Here are some pics.
Brake Job Hell 66215_1541950520651_1591597014_1279320_6017980_n
Brake Job Hell 68007_1541950960662_1591597014_1279321_2082702_n
Brake Job Hell 65708_1541951800683_1591597014_1279323_3081074_n

Last edited by Okie5.7 on October 22nd 2010, 3:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

Brake Job Hell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake Job Hell   Brake Job Hell I_icon_minitimeOctober 17th 2010, 10:07 pm

easy jobs have a habit of snowballing into big ones. that sucks about your wheel but at least your stopping good now.
Back to top Go down
The Black Stig
Supporting Vendor
The Black Stig

Brake Job Hell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake Job Hell   Brake Job Hell I_icon_minitimeOctober 18th 2010, 1:05 am

damn that sucked
Back to top Go down
andyp411
CAMM Member
andyp411

Brake Job Hell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake Job Hell   Brake Job Hell I_icon_minitimeOctober 18th 2010, 12:23 pm

Was going to work on my brakes this weekened now I don't know!
Back to top Go down
HemiMag
CAMM All-Star
HemiMag

Brake Job Hell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake Job Hell   Brake Job Hell I_icon_minitimeOctober 18th 2010, 12:38 pm

you should've called Nick.I would've helped out.

Andyp where in E.P do you live?I graduated from E.P high school....
Back to top Go down
Okie6.1
CAMM All-Star
Okie6.1

Brake Job Hell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake Job Hell   Brake Job Hell I_icon_minitimeOctober 18th 2010, 12:56 pm

Thanks Ivan for the offer it would have gone a lot faster with two people.

Andy don't be scared mine is probably a one in million chance of happening.

Jontoad yes it does stop nicely now they make a ton of difference.

I have a noise coming from the drivers side that I am going figure out. Sounds like something is catching on one of the rotors not very loud but I notice it. I hope it is something simple. Going to check it out when the shop opens again.
Back to top Go down
Okie6.1
CAMM All-Star
Okie6.1

Brake Job Hell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake Job Hell   Brake Job Hell I_icon_minitimeOctober 18th 2010, 3:41 pm

Figured out my rear e brake is causing the noise will fix and should be good to go.
Back to top Go down
andyp411
CAMM Member
andyp411

Brake Job Hell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake Job Hell   Brake Job Hell I_icon_minitimeOctober 19th 2010, 11:30 am

For sure gotta get my rear brakes done soon, their pretty bad according to the dealership.
Back to top Go down
Okie6.1
CAMM All-Star
Okie6.1

Brake Job Hell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake Job Hell   Brake Job Hell I_icon_minitimeOctober 19th 2010, 2:10 pm

Anyone up to come help me work on the rear brakes tomorrow after I get off of work? Just need to fix the ebrake.
Back to top Go down
andyp411
CAMM Member
andyp411

Brake Job Hell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake Job Hell   Brake Job Hell I_icon_minitimeOctober 19th 2010, 2:57 pm

Where are you at and what time do you get off work? I'm off tomorrow and free in the morning until 2pm if you need some help let me know.
Back to top Go down
Okie6.1
CAMM All-Star
Okie6.1

Brake Job Hell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake Job Hell   Brake Job Hell I_icon_minitimeOctober 19th 2010, 3:23 pm

North if you by the naval base and I won't get off till at least 4pm
Back to top Go down
andyp411
CAMM Member
andyp411

Brake Job Hell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake Job Hell   Brake Job Hell I_icon_minitimeOctober 19th 2010, 3:47 pm

Sorry brother too late, I'm off on Tuesdays and Wednesdays if you ever need some help during the morning or early afternoon let me know I don't mind driving out that way I'd take the scenic route.
Back to top Go down
Okie6.1
CAMM All-Star
Okie6.1

Brake Job Hell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake Job Hell   Brake Job Hell I_icon_minitimeOctober 22nd 2010, 3:10 pm

Ok so I just got done and fixed my ebrake issue. The pedal was extremly soft and found that it was not spreading the pads apart simple fix. Now I have a question for those with slotted rotors. I am noticing a slight tick almost sounds like a telegraph tapping noise. I investigated it the noise is not coming from drivetrain. Is this normal noise until rotors and pads wear in a bit? Just want to make sure nothing is getting screwed up.
Back to top Go down
Okie6.1
CAMM All-Star
Okie6.1

Brake Job Hell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake Job Hell   Brake Job Hell I_icon_minitimeNovember 1st 2010, 10:27 pm

Update: Steve from R1 called me today. He informed that for magnums there was a slight change in pad thickness and he sent me the wrong one and this is what is causing my noise. Tomorrow he will be shipping out the new pads and hopefully this will eliminate the noise. If not he will be sending me two new rotors. Customer service has been great with Steve. I will post when I get them installed to see if my noise goes away. Wish me luck
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

Brake Job Hell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake Job Hell   Brake Job Hell I_icon_minitimeNovember 1st 2010, 10:39 pm

That is awesome its going to be such an easy fix (fingers crossed)! I know you said Sat it was driving you NUTS!
Back to top Go down
Okie6.1
CAMM All-Star
Okie6.1

Brake Job Hell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake Job Hell   Brake Job Hell I_icon_minitimeNovember 2nd 2010, 7:40 pm

Yes it is driving me crazy. I hope that it is a simple fix cause I am tired of messing with it. Didn't expect damn brake jibe to be so hard and problematic.
Back to top Go down
Okie6.1
CAMM All-Star
Okie6.1

Brake Job Hell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake Job Hell   Brake Job Hell I_icon_minitimeNovember 3rd 2010, 6:06 pm

Here is two pics first is of the front rotors after I put them one and of them now with a couple hundred miles on them. I noticed today what seems to be a clunking in the front drivers side brake. New pads will be here Monday then Wednesday get them put in and hope that fixes everything. This job just keeps getting better and better. I am so tired of messing with it. I get disgusted thinking about all the work. I hope the clunk goes away with little effort and cost.
Brake Job Hell 68007_1541950960662_1591597014_1279321_2082702_n
Brake Job Hell 149270_1565901159402_1591597014_1325692_8324794_n
Back to top Go down
Okie6.1
CAMM All-Star
Okie6.1

Brake Job Hell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake Job Hell   Brake Job Hell I_icon_minitimeNovember 8th 2010, 5:23 pm

FML. I just got my new pads from R1 and they sent me the wrong fucking ones. I needed the front pads to see if that was the fix for my issue. This is killing me!
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

Brake Job Hell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake Job Hell   Brake Job Hell I_icon_minitimeNovember 8th 2010, 10:35 pm

Oh man that blows. Sad
Back to top Go down
The Black Stig
Supporting Vendor
The Black Stig

Brake Job Hell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake Job Hell   Brake Job Hell I_icon_minitimeNovember 8th 2010, 11:32 pm

FYI raybestos makes some kick ass rotors and they sometime have drilled and slotted rotors. in cay the biggest plus is they are local to mchenry too to bad you can't get them through the warehouse although car quest seems to have the best hookup on them.
Back to top Go down
HemiMag
CAMM All-Star
HemiMag

Brake Job Hell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake Job Hell   Brake Job Hell I_icon_minitimeNovember 8th 2010, 11:48 pm

Honestly this is why I stayed away from R1 , I opted for Brakeperformance.com instead because their customer service is good and they lifetime warranty their premium rotors.My Magnum and my Jeep both have dimpled n slotted rotors and I love them....
Back to top Go down
Okie6.1
CAMM All-Star
Okie6.1

Brake Job Hell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake Job Hell   Brake Job Hell I_icon_minitimeNovember 9th 2010, 4:28 pm

Anyone available to help me out friday to work on my front brakes? Shop opens at noon and that is when i will be there.
Back to top Go down
The Black Stig
Supporting Vendor
The Black Stig

Brake Job Hell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake Job Hell   Brake Job Hell I_icon_minitimeNovember 9th 2010, 4:32 pm

Okie5.7 wrote:
Anyone available to help me out friday to work on my front brakes? Shop opens at noon and that is when i will be there.

Sure you got to get me though.
Back to top Go down
Okie6.1
CAMM All-Star
Okie6.1

Brake Job Hell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake Job Hell   Brake Job Hell I_icon_minitimeNovember 9th 2010, 4:35 pm

Will do and I know where you live. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
HemiMag
CAMM All-Star
HemiMag

Brake Job Hell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake Job Hell   Brake Job Hell I_icon_minitimeNovember 9th 2010, 4:37 pm

Okie5.7 wrote:

Where the shop located at? If it's not too far I can try to make it out there
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Brake Job Hell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake Job Hell   Brake Job Hell I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brake Job Hell
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next