Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

my tinted tail "lack of light" solution

Go down 
+13
Hoodie
otter1363
chargerchick
AlterEgo
liljoejoe54
Shawn1112
Dalegit1
irishrt5.7
TheDarkKnight
Moparcharger07
Illinois Chaos
ghost
jontoad
17 posters
AuthorMessage
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

my tinted tail "lack of light" solution Empty
PostSubject: my tinted tail "lack of light" solution   my tinted tail "lack of light" solution I_icon_minitimeNovember 13th 2009, 12:38 pm

i don't think I've seen anyone else do this. i was looking at the led strips i put in my headlights for turn signals when i installed the halos and got an idea. my tails are dark. dark as hell. at night they are fine and I've had cops follow me but not pull me over before. in the day the light doesn't show through well. so i was thinking i could put a strip of red side emitting LED's between the tails and bumper in the gap. turned out pretty good and was only 14.99 per strip online. the LED's in the strips shine out the side of the strip instead of straight up so you can point them out for turns/brake lights ect...

took 10 minutes to wire up.

you need

-4 wire taps
-scissors
-wire cutters
-electrical tape
-paint cleaner (for adhesion of the 3m double sided tape on the led strip)

note the strips are water proof so stick them where ever the hell you want.

take the tails off and tap the white with green stripe wire on the outside most bulb with the positive of the led strip. then tap the black wire with the ground wire of the led strip. make sure it works then electrical tap up your taps. prep the area where your gonna stick the strip for adhesion and stick it on. put the tail back in and your done.

the strip comes with a quick disconnect so don't be afraid to stick it to you bumper instead of the tail housings. thats what i did.

my tinted tail "lack of light" solution 24bp5zd

my tinted tail "lack of light" solution 9zq1kp

my tinted tail "lack of light" solution 2mnm5ih

Back to top Go down
ghost
Founding Member
Founding Member
ghost

PostSubject: Re: my tinted tail "lack of light" solution   my tinted tail "lack of light" solution I_icon_minitimeNovember 13th 2009, 12:48 pm

hell yeah dude that looks awesome!
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: my tinted tail "lack of light" solution   my tinted tail "lack of light" solution I_icon_minitimeNovember 13th 2009, 1:16 pm

Damn nice modding there JT.
Back to top Go down
Moparcharger07
CAMM Member
Moparcharger07

PostSubject: Re: my tinted tail "lack of light" solution   my tinted tail "lack of light" solution I_icon_minitimeNovember 13th 2009, 1:16 pm

That's pretty fucking cool man!!!!! NICE!!!!! cheers
Back to top Go down
TheDarkKnight
CAMM Pro
TheDarkKnight

PostSubject: Re: my tinted tail "lack of light" solution   my tinted tail "lack of light" solution I_icon_minitimeNovember 13th 2009, 1:25 pm

Awesome job that looks great nice ideal!!!
Back to top Go down
irishrt5.7
CAMM All-Star
irishrt5.7

PostSubject: Re: my tinted tail "lack of light" solution   my tinted tail "lack of light" solution I_icon_minitimeNovember 13th 2009, 1:48 pm

That does look nice... AAC is working on something similar to that for the magnum

my tinted tail "lack of light" solution DSC_0142LargeWebview

my tinted tail "lack of light" solution DSC_0144LargeWebview
Back to top Go down
Dalegit1
CAMM Pro
Dalegit1

PostSubject: Re: my tinted tail "lack of light" solution   my tinted tail "lack of light" solution I_icon_minitimeNovember 13th 2009, 2:02 pm

Nice JT, it looks great. Thanks for sharing!!
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: my tinted tail "lack of light" solution   my tinted tail "lack of light" solution I_icon_minitimeNovember 13th 2009, 2:17 pm

irishrt5.7 wrote:
That does look nice... AAC is working on something similar to that for the magnum

my tinted tail "lack of light" solution DSC_0142LargeWebview

my tinted tail "lack of light" solution DSC_0144LargeWebview

those are sweet. they look like the LED's are closer together on those for more of a rope effect.

i have a tail light halo kit coming, but don't feel like opening up my tail lights since i already paid to have mine candied and i don't want to chance breaking em. i also thought if the LED's were inside the tint it still wouldn't be bright enough.
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: my tinted tail "lack of light" solution   my tinted tail "lack of light" solution I_icon_minitimeNovember 13th 2009, 2:18 pm

Great job bro, they look great.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: my tinted tail "lack of light" solution   my tinted tail "lack of light" solution I_icon_minitimeNovember 13th 2009, 2:44 pm

That looks awesome Jon!
Back to top Go down
AlterEgo
Founding Member
Founding Member
AlterEgo

PostSubject: Re: my tinted tail "lack of light" solution   my tinted tail "lack of light" solution I_icon_minitimeNovember 13th 2009, 4:18 pm

Way to be creative Jon! Look really good. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
chargerchick
CAMM All-Star
chargerchick

PostSubject: Re: my tinted tail "lack of light" solution   my tinted tail "lack of light" solution I_icon_minitimeNovember 13th 2009, 6:13 pm

That is awesome Jon! Thanks for posting this!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: my tinted tail "lack of light" solution   my tinted tail "lack of light" solution I_icon_minitimeNovember 13th 2009, 6:39 pm

Do they only turn on when you apply the brake or turn signal? I would like to do that but I dont want them on all the time, only when I brake or use the signal. How long is each strip?
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: my tinted tail "lack of light" solution   my tinted tail "lack of light" solution I_icon_minitimeNovember 13th 2009, 6:49 pm

liljoejoe54 wrote:
Do they only turn on when you apply the brake or turn signal? I would like to do that but I dont want them on all the time, only when I brake or use the signal. How long is each strip?

they come on only when you brake/turn/hazard. not on for running lights at all.

the strip is a foot long that ships to you but just like our turn signal strips you can cut it after every 3rd LED. it would have been the exact length of the tail light but i made the mistake of cutting it too close to the bulb and the last 3 LED's stopped working so i cut them off and its about 2 inches short of being the full length of the light. i could always get 2 more strips since they have the quick disconnect and swap em out to fix that but it still looks fine how it is....
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: my tinted tail "lack of light" solution   my tinted tail "lack of light" solution I_icon_minitimeNovember 13th 2009, 6:52 pm

jontoad wrote:
liljoejoe54 wrote:

they come on only when you brake/turn/hazard. not on for running lights at all.

the strip is a foot long that ships to you but just like our turn signal strips you can cut it after every 3rd LED. it would have been the exact length of the tail light but i made the mistake of cutting it too close to the bulb and the last 3 LED's stopped working so i cut them off and its about 2 inches short of being the full length of the light. i could always get 2 more strips since they have the quick disconnect and swap em out to fix that but it still looks fine how it is....

Ah I was hoping they were just cut down. I want mine to run the full width of the tails. Thanks for the info Jon, this is a great idea you came up with. drink
Back to top Go down
otter1363
CAMM Pro
otter1363

PostSubject: Re: my tinted tail "lack of light" solution   my tinted tail "lack of light" solution I_icon_minitimeNovember 13th 2009, 6:58 pm

Great idea!!
Back to top Go down
Hoodie
CAMM Pro
Hoodie

PostSubject: Re: my tinted tail "lack of light" solution   my tinted tail "lack of light" solution I_icon_minitimeNovember 14th 2009, 12:31 am

Awesome idea for those with tinted tails..

Good writeup..
Back to top Go down
xegitalian19xx
Founding Member
Founding Member
xegitalian19xx

PostSubject: Re: my tinted tail "lack of light" solution   my tinted tail "lack of light" solution I_icon_minitimeNovember 14th 2009, 7:55 am

hmmm any chance you have a link for the lights? That looks badass and it would be perfect for me because the elk grove cops are assholes and love pulling me over for whatever they feel like that day.
Back to top Go down
Headtripp
Founding Member
Founding Member
Headtripp

PostSubject: Re: my tinted tail "lack of light" solution   my tinted tail "lack of light" solution I_icon_minitimeNovember 14th 2009, 10:00 am

Nice work they look great Jon
Back to top Go down
HemiMag
CAMM All-Star
HemiMag

PostSubject: Re: my tinted tail "lack of light" solution   my tinted tail "lack of light" solution I_icon_minitimeNovember 14th 2009, 3:09 pm

that looks really good.Now you can be safe at night!!!
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

PostSubject: Re: my tinted tail "lack of light" solution   my tinted tail "lack of light" solution I_icon_minitimeNovember 14th 2009, 3:23 pm

Very cool Jon. Can't wait to see them in person.
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: my tinted tail "lack of light" solution   my tinted tail "lack of light" solution I_icon_minitimeNovember 14th 2009, 5:57 pm

xegitalian19xx wrote:
hmmm any chance you have a link for the lights? That looks badass and it would be perfect for me because the elk grove cops are assholes and love pulling me over for whatever they feel like that day.

http://www.oznium.com/side-emitting-led-strip
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: my tinted tail "lack of light" solution   my tinted tail "lack of light" solution I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

my tinted tail "lack of light" solution
Page 1 of 1