Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Painting throttle body

Go down 
+6
jontoad
liljoejoe54
ghost
Admin
Hoodie
Shawn1112
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

Painting throttle body Empty
PostSubject: Painting throttle body   Painting throttle body I_icon_minitimeJune 24th 2009, 4:42 pm

Has anyone tried painting their throttle body? I saw a post on another forum and it looked pretty good. I dont like how they look under the hood and want to paint mine. I suck at painting though so if anyone wants to try their skills (liljoe) at painting my throttle body let me know.
Back to top Go down
Hoodie
CAMM Pro
Hoodie

PostSubject: Re: Painting throttle body   Painting throttle body I_icon_minitimeJune 24th 2009, 4:59 pm

It'll more then likely look awesome.. And if high heat paint was used, I don't see it being a problem.. Some more experienced in painting might wanna chime in here as well just to be sure..
Back to top Go down
Admin
Founding Member
Founding Member
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Painting throttle body   Painting throttle body I_icon_minitimeJune 24th 2009, 6:21 pm

We'll need to clean the hell out of it.. ATL SRT painted his. Primer and engine enamal did the trick...

Painting throttle body DSCF1109
Back to top Go down
ghost
Founding Member
Founding Member
ghost

PostSubject: Re: Painting throttle body   Painting throttle body I_icon_minitimeJune 24th 2009, 6:48 pm

how about polishing it?????????? paint doesn't seem like it would last long.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Painting throttle body   Painting throttle body I_icon_minitimeJune 24th 2009, 7:05 pm

Shawn1112 wrote:
Has anyone tried painting their throttle body? I saw a post on another forum and it looked pretty good. I dont like how they look under the hood and want to paint mine. I suck at painting though so if anyone wants to try their skills (liljoe) at painting my throttle body let me know.

LOL YOU READ MY MIND!!!!!! I was looking at my throttle body last week and though it was really ugly and needed to be painted. I am going to look into painting mine this weekend. I have been working my ass off for the past couple days (its about damn time) so I havent had the time since I thought about it.Ill post pics and see if it was easy.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Founding Member
Founding Member
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Painting throttle body   Painting throttle body I_icon_minitimeJune 24th 2009, 7:12 pm

ghost wrote:
how about polishing it?????????? paint doesn't seem like it would last long.
I tried polishing a section one.. Talk about a time consuming pain in the ass.. Neutral

I polish that metal band that goes around the plastic on the side, but that's about it.
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Painting throttle body   Painting throttle body I_icon_minitimeJune 25th 2009, 6:46 am

Kool Joe, looking foward to see how yours comes out. If your happy with it then I am first in line when you have time!
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: Painting throttle body   Painting throttle body I_icon_minitimeJune 25th 2009, 10:58 am

thinking about red brake caliper pant from autozone for mine...
Back to top Go down
Admin
Founding Member
Founding Member
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Painting throttle body   Painting throttle body I_icon_minitimeJune 25th 2009, 12:26 pm

The kind you brush on? I don't know about that..
Back to top Go down
ghost
Founding Member
Founding Member
ghost

PostSubject: Re: Painting throttle body   Painting throttle body I_icon_minitimeJune 25th 2009, 12:27 pm

what all would go into polishing one?
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Painting throttle body   Painting throttle body I_icon_minitimeJune 25th 2009, 2:16 pm

ghost wrote:
what all would go into polishing one?
X2...........
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: Painting throttle body   Painting throttle body I_icon_minitimeJune 25th 2009, 2:29 pm

elcobra44 wrote:
The kind you brush on? I don't know about that..

yea i dunno. but it seems to hold up well on people brakes. high heat and doesn't flake. ive seen throttle bodys that are painted go bad where the intake tube is pushed over. i might not paint it anyways.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Founding Member
Founding Member
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Painting throttle body   Painting throttle body I_icon_minitimeJune 25th 2009, 2:34 pm

I wouldn't paint it where the intake tube is applied.. And you'll want to spray paint it, for sure..

Engine enamel on a CLEAN throttle body, and you won't have much trouble.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Painting throttle body   Painting throttle body I_icon_minitimeJune 25th 2009, 4:44 pm

elcobra44 wrote:
I wouldn't paint it where the intake tube is applied.. And you'll want to spray paint it, for sure..

Engine enamel on a CLEAN throttle body, and you won't have much trouble.

Yeah I only use spray paint. I Used the red caliper spray paint for my calipers. I tried the brush on and didnt like it at all. It wasnt nearly as smooth as the spray. I was thinking of using black caliper paint and I think they also have some high heat clear coat to go over it. Hopefully I will have time this weekend to give it a shot then ill help out any other members that want this with Shawn being first in line.
Back to top Go down
ghost
Founding Member
Founding Member
ghost

PostSubject: Re: Painting throttle body   Painting throttle body I_icon_minitimeJune 25th 2009, 4:47 pm

how about some engine block enamel and engine block primer, with that clearcoat you are talking about?
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Painting throttle body   Painting throttle body I_icon_minitimeJune 25th 2009, 4:48 pm

ghost wrote:
how about some engine block enamel and engine block primer, with that clearcoat you are talking about?

Yeah that will work too. Engine paint and caliper paint are pretty much the same type. Engine paint has way more choices for color though. I just want mine to be black so my black caliper paint that I had when I painted my caliper brackets will do the trick.
Back to top Go down
ghost
Founding Member
Founding Member
ghost

PostSubject: Re: Painting throttle body   Painting throttle body I_icon_minitimeJune 25th 2009, 4:53 pm

liljoejoe54 wrote:
ghost wrote:

Yeah that will work too. Engine paint and caliper paint are pretty much the same type. Engine paint has way more choices for color though. I just want mine to be black so my black caliper paint that I had when I painted my caliper brackets will do the trick.
fine be that way......
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Painting throttle body   Painting throttle body I_icon_minitimeJune 25th 2009, 5:06 pm

ghost wrote:
liljoejoe54 wrote:
ghost wrote:

fine be that way......

Lol. If it makes you feel better, I will go out and get some black engine paint and use that instead. What color are you thinking of going?
Back to top Go down
ghost
Founding Member
Founding Member
ghost

PostSubject: Re: Painting throttle body   Painting throttle body I_icon_minitimeJune 25th 2009, 5:08 pm

after all this talk, i think i am going to try polishing mine!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Founding Member
Founding Member
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Painting throttle body   Painting throttle body I_icon_minitimeJune 25th 2009, 5:11 pm

Talk to Peter Parker on LXForums.. He had his done.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Painting throttle body   Painting throttle body I_icon_minitimeJune 25th 2009, 9:10 pm

I just picked up a can of gloss black 500* engine paint and 500* gloss clear coat. I got them both at Pep-Boys for about $6 a can. If I dont have work on Saturday then im gonna give it a go.
Back to top Go down
Fidostudio
CAMM Pro
Fidostudio

PostSubject: Re: Painting throttle body   Painting throttle body I_icon_minitimeJuly 14th 2010, 4:35 pm

Can you spray this stuff in the car or do you have to take it all out?
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Painting throttle body   Painting throttle body I_icon_minitimeJuly 14th 2010, 4:48 pm

Fidostudio wrote:
Can you spray this stuff in the car or do you have to take it all out?

Take it all out. Otherwise you are going to get overspray everywhere.
Back to top Go down
Fidostudio
CAMM Pro
Fidostudio

PostSubject: Re: Painting throttle body   Painting throttle body I_icon_minitimeJuly 14th 2010, 4:50 pm

I know it was a stupid question but had to ask. I don't know enough about engines to start taking stuff out. Oh well
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Painting throttle body   Painting throttle body I_icon_minitimeJuly 14th 2010, 5:16 pm

Fidostudio wrote:
I know it was a stupid question but had to ask. I don't know enough about engines to start taking stuff out. Oh well

The throttle body is actually very easy to remove. You will have to remove your airbox first then disconnect the harness from the throttle body and remove the 4 bolts that are holding the throttle body on. You will have to cover the electrical connector so what I did was take a rubber glove and cut the thumb off and put it over the connector and secured it with a rubber band. Also take up the throttle plate so you dont get that covered either.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Painting throttle body   Painting throttle body I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Painting throttle body
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next