Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

throttle body

Go down 
+2
jontoad
Illinois Chaos
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

throttle body Empty
PostSubject: throttle body   throttle body I_icon_minitimeNovember 8th 2009, 5:42 pm

SRTengineers
SRT Engineering Team Join Date: Jun 2008
Photos: (0)

Originally Posted by EDDIE T
which throttle body size would you recomend 85mm or 90mm on stock engine 6.1 with minimal mods. thank you in advance

Honestly, I'd save your money....but if you really want to, a 90mm is worth about 5hp.

seems so not worth it, eh? $200.00 + per 1 HP
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

throttle body Empty
PostSubject: Re: throttle body   throttle body I_icon_minitimeNovember 8th 2009, 6:06 pm

max horspower from one single mod when you look at it on paper, yea its not impressive.

change out your tb and then tell me its not impressive....

theres more to mods than max dyno horspower gains. also your mods work together as a package to get you where you need to be. its only one piece of a puzzle. the goal is eliminating restrictions in the intake and exhaust to get more air in and more air out.

one of the stroker motors on chargerfourmz had a rediculous 25 horse increase from the 90mm tb alone. it was the last restriction in his system and gave him the air flow he needed without that bottle neck.

i did the 87mm one from matt and honestly it was worth every penny i spent on it. even if my motor only has a couple bolt on mods to support it. if i do future mods it will help them get the air they need too.
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

throttle body Empty
PostSubject: Re: throttle body   throttle body I_icon_minitimeNovember 8th 2009, 6:08 pm

thats not mentioning the part throttle power increase which is where i noticed the most gain in the "butt" dyno.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Founding Member
Founding Member
Admin

throttle body Empty
PostSubject: Re: throttle body   throttle body I_icon_minitimeNovember 8th 2009, 6:25 pm

I've seen dyno graphs showing better than 5hp through out the band on a 85mm throttle body. I'll post them up later and you can judge for yourself.

I really think the 87 is the way to go on a stock or modified 6.1L, specially if you're going to be tuned to squeeze the absolute most out of it.

I'm surprised the SRT Engineers even commented on a non-SRT part. They typically blow those kind of questions off because the best they can do is speculate.
Back to top Go down
ChiTownHemi
CAMM All-Star
ChiTownHemi

throttle body Empty
PostSubject: Re: throttle body   throttle body I_icon_minitimeNovember 8th 2009, 6:27 pm

Right on Jon. I couldn't agree more. As someone once told me, "every little bit helps". I really noticed a difference with the 87mm. I'm actually kinda surprised the SRT engineers said to go 90mm. I've heard that 90mm is only really recommended if you have other upgrades to go along with it that can take advantage of it.
Back to top Go down
otter1363
CAMM Pro
otter1363

throttle body Empty
PostSubject: Re: throttle body   throttle body I_icon_minitimeNovember 8th 2009, 6:32 pm

Matt, you gotta let me know when you get a truck TB avail.

Dont know much about the lighter car application but the trucks all report a big improvement in throttle responce.
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

throttle body Empty
PostSubject: Re: throttle body   throttle body I_icon_minitimeNovember 8th 2009, 7:00 pm

when i put me 85mm tb on I felt the difference the first time I drove it! Well worth it imo!
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

throttle body Empty
PostSubject: Re: throttle body   throttle body I_icon_minitimeNovember 8th 2009, 7:20 pm

Don't you have to re-tune on the dyno again after tb change out? It would seem to me the a/f would change. Maybe risk the motor w/o tune.
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

throttle body Empty
PostSubject: Re: throttle body   throttle body I_icon_minitimeNovember 8th 2009, 7:32 pm

Illinois Chaos wrote:
Don't you have to re-tune on the dyno again after tb change out? It would seem to me the a/f would change. Maybe risk the motor w/o tune.

no. the computer will correct for the extra air after you drive a little bit. a custom tune will help but its not necessary.

I'm just running the diablo 93 octane tune with added fuel across the board. it only adds fuel at WOT as the rest of the tables are non adjustable on quick adjust with the handheld and the computer can handle that just fine anyways. i have about 8% mid and high, and 5% down low added to get rid of any light knock and get more power from the airflow the intake/exhaust/TB added.

the tb won't make you lean enough to cause problems but light knock can make the motor cut power a bit and adding fuel gets you that power back if you can get rid of the knock that way. pulling a degree of timing or two can help too if you have excessive knock. our motors always show knock near the shifts so ignore that if you datalog. its "false knock"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

throttle body Empty
PostSubject: Re: throttle body   throttle body I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

throttle body
Page 1 of 1