Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

fuse box project

Go down 
+2
chicagovich
funkpolice
6 posters
AuthorMessage
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

fuse box project Empty
PostSubject: fuse box project   fuse box project I_icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2013, 8:33 pm

I want to do a back lit fuse box lid. I did some small scale test pcs tonight, what do you think?
1.fuse box project IMG_1554_zps35ea0e3a

2.fuse box project IMG_1545_zpse27b9f6b

3.fuse box project IMG_1555_zps464df18d

4.fuse box project IMG_1557_zpsd7015dd6

I think I like 4 the best, then 3. These are just quick tests, so obviously the real thing isn't going to look so shitty. I'm going to cut them out on a water jet machine. Probably one Brilliant Black and another I'll do out of stainless and polish it to a mirror finish. I'm using a 12V EL panel for the light. It looks really bright in person, but I'm not sure how it will hold up under the hood.

bill
Back to top Go down
chicagovich
CAMM Pro
chicagovich

fuse box project Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuse box project   fuse box project I_icon_minitimeJanuary 23rd 2013, 12:31 pm

Pretty cool idea. I like #3, SRT witout the box. Water jet machines are pretty cool; amazing what high powered water can do.
Back to top Go down
osoish08
CAMM Member
osoish08

fuse box project Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuse box project   fuse box project I_icon_minitimeJanuary 23rd 2013, 2:14 pm

I like 4. I f you end up doing this, I might want to jump on this as well lol.... Looks nice man.
Back to top Go down
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

fuse box project Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuse box project   fuse box project I_icon_minitimeJanuary 23rd 2013, 5:55 pm

The only problem with #3 is that I have to commit to a whole pattern to use it. With the box I can put it on anything as long as I can make that cut out on it. Door sills, fuse box cover, glove box, what ever. The water jet guys aren't free, so if I have them do a dozen or so of the small rectangles, I can use them or give them out later.
I do have a automated plasma table at our shop I can do unlimited free work on, but the cut isn't even close to as nice as the water table. I'll probably do one on the plasma first to work out the final design. Osoish, I'll let you know when the time comes to fabricate something.
bill
Back to top Go down
KevinDSClark
CAMM Pro
KevinDSClark

fuse box project Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuse box project   fuse box project I_icon_minitimeJanuary 23rd 2013, 6:21 pm

I agree bill, 4 then 3, not a huge fan of 1 and 2 they look really busy to me and therefore less classy. If you can figure out pricing even just for the piece I might grab one as well just cut out and them I can paint/polish myself. Let me know.
Back to top Go down
chicagovich
CAMM Pro
chicagovich

fuse box project Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuse box project   fuse box project I_icon_minitimeJanuary 24th 2013, 4:49 am

funkpolice wrote:
The only problem with #3 is that I have to commit to a whole pattern to use it. With the box I can put it on anything as long as I can make that cut out on it. Door sills, fuse box cover, glove box, what ever. The water jet guys aren't free, so if I have them do a dozen or so of the small rectangles, I can use them or give them out later.
I do have a automated plasma table at our shop I can do unlimited free work on, but the cut isn't even close to as nice as the water table. I'll probably do one on the plasma first to work out the final design. Osoish, I'll let you know when the time comes to fabricate something.
bill

Makes sense to me. I personally like the contrast of more black vs. less red in #4 as I think it makes the SRT really pop. Overall though, I think either one will look pretty cool and unique.
Back to top Go down
osoish08
CAMM Member
osoish08

fuse box project Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuse box project   fuse box project I_icon_minitimeJanuary 30th 2013, 5:29 pm

I Know its only been a few days but any updates?
Back to top Go down
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

fuse box project Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuse box project   fuse box project I_icon_minitimeJanuary 30th 2013, 7:45 pm

I have a dxf drawing made up, I just need to scale it down a little more. This is the file format for the cutting table. I'm having a hard time finding a supplier for red EL sheets in the A5 size I need. I ordered a white one (From a U.S. supplier) and some theatrical gels. Hopefully the white panel and gels look good, I think they will. If so they can be just about any color you can imagine. So that's where I'm at now. Once the drawing is done, I'm going to cut one out on a plasma to see how nice of a cut I can get. If I don't like it, I need to bring it to my water jet guy. Hopefully I'll have some kind of full scale pc by the end of next week. Are the jeep fuse boxed the same size as the chargers? To be honest with you the materials are starting to get expensive. shipping is a killer.

bill
Back to top Go down
osoish08
CAMM Member
osoish08

fuse box project Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuse box project   fuse box project I_icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2013, 4:32 pm

Idk if they are the same size. Shoot me a PM with things your looking for and maybe I can help out with something. If your having a hard time finding things let me know as I my buddy does a lot with lighting. That might help idk you let me know and we'll go from there.
Back to top Go down
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

fuse box project Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuse box project   fuse box project I_icon_minitimeApril 19th 2013, 3:23 pm

coming along slowly but surely. I still have a bunch more polishing to do and I need to nail down which gel sheets to use, there are literally hundreds of options, different light transfer ratings. I did most of the design under the influence of alcohol and it shows.

fuse box project IMG_1668_zps14987748

fuse box project IMG_1671_zps01588060

fuse box project IMG_1677_zpsd3af378f
Back to top Go down
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

fuse box project Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuse box project   fuse box project I_icon_minitimeApril 19th 2013, 3:24 pm

fuse box project IMG_1671_zps01588060
Back to top Go down
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

fuse box project Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuse box project   fuse box project I_icon_minitimeApril 19th 2013, 3:26 pm

some of the pics aren't working, but you get the idea

bill
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

fuse box project Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuse box project   fuse box project I_icon_minitimeApril 19th 2013, 5:36 pm

The pic where the T is in red is bad ass
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

fuse box project Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuse box project   fuse box project I_icon_minitimeApril 19th 2013, 6:11 pm

Bill, you have a future. Shit DAMN, that's some crazy stuff you make. Where do you work? Some kind of fabricating shop? What machines do you use to do that. Water cutter or a laser cutter. You must have brake presses and heliarc tig welders and shit too.
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

fuse box project Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuse box project   fuse box project I_icon_minitimeApril 19th 2013, 6:47 pm

1st in line if you start selling them
Back to top Go down
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

fuse box project Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuse box project   fuse box project I_icon_minitimeApril 19th 2013, 7:42 pm

I'm a specialty sheet metal worker. Mostly industrial stuff like conveyors, spouting, platforms, stainless counter tops, etc. We do cool stuff everyonce in a while. Last week I made some body panels for a '42 mercedes. I did a reef shark a few years ago.
fuse box project Img008-1

fuse box project Img009-1

but mostly boring stuff.
I had a guy on LX forums draw the SRT as a DXF and then a place called Remtex cut out the pcs on a laser cutter. I had used them before for some water jet stuff, but they just got the laser cutter set up, it's really nice. I use them a lot, so they did this for next to nothing. I had them cut 6, so there are extras, it's just a lot of work and I don't know how long until I get the others done. Also, the design makes it kind of labor intensive. They don't fit on an un modified cover, you have to cut the fins off. And then they don't cover the whole lid, so you have to paint the lid too. I didn't like the 3g ones, they just look too....coverish. I might make one that covers that lower ledge too and see how that looks. I can do 50 bucks a pc just formed and welded without the lighting. The polishing is the bitch, stainless takes a lot longer than aluminum. I'll take a few pics of the pcs in the raw state next week.
Back to top Go down
chicagovich
CAMM Pro
chicagovich

fuse box project Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuse box project   fuse box project I_icon_minitimeApril 20th 2013, 9:25 am

You're an artist! These came out fantastic and I love the fact alcohol was involved.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

fuse box project Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuse box project   fuse box project I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

fuse box project
Page 1 of 1