Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Predator advice? New user.

Go down 
+3
vagrant
Illinois Chaos
BigM
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
BigM
CAMM Pro
BigM

Predator advice?  New user. Empty
PostSubject: Predator advice? New user.   Predator advice?  New user. I_icon_minitimeNovember 21st 2011, 7:16 pm

Hi all,

I just bought a used Predator from ebay, got a really good deal. I've been checking them out and reading up on them for a while now and finally found a good deal.

I'm a little concerned about putting this on a daily driver but I'm too intrigued to pass it up. I plan on running the canned 91 tune (probably with 93 gas just so I don't get knock). I have zero mods on my R/T R&T performance wise I've only sealed off the bottom of the airbox (so it draws from thru the hole and put in a K&N drop in.

From the research I've done the SRT/Road and Track intake is pretty good so not looking to swap that out and I haven't put on a lower T-Stat yet.

Do you guys recommend firming the shifts? Any long term damage to other drive components or not likely from an otherwise stock car? I know the transmission probably won't care but with harder shifts and less torque management is there a concern?

Any other helpful tips for a Predator newbie?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Predator advice? New user.   Predator advice?  New user. I_icon_minitimeNovember 21st 2011, 7:23 pm

Actually the canned tunes are there to install just until you can get it on a dyno. Do it and your Hemi will come alive like you won't believe. Leave the stock airbox if you want to, but throw on a Jet 180 thermo. and yes firming shifts won't damage anything.
Back to top Go down
vagrant
CAMM Member
vagrant

PostSubject: Re: Predator advice? New user.   Predator advice?  New user. I_icon_minitimeNovember 21st 2011, 7:27 pm

Wait till dyno day at Mr. Norms next summer imo. Then get Tim to tune it for ya!

-vagrant
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

PostSubject: Re: Predator advice? New user.   Predator advice?  New user. I_icon_minitimeNovember 21st 2011, 8:04 pm

vagrant wrote:
Wait till dyno day at Mr. Norms next summer imo. Then get Tim to tune it for ya!

-vagrant

That is what I am doing.
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Predator advice? New user.   Predator advice?  New user. I_icon_minitimeNovember 21st 2011, 8:40 pm

eviltrycycle wrote:
vagrant wrote:

-vagrant

That is what I am doing.

I'll be volunteering my time to tie down cars at the next one.
Back to top Go down
inkedup
CAMM All-Star
inkedup

PostSubject: Re: Predator advice? New user.   Predator advice?  New user. I_icon_minitimeNovember 21st 2011, 8:41 pm

i bought a 180 t-stat from jeg's ,and the only reason i switched it was because the car was still running hot in the summer .and even after changing the t-stat it still ran warmer,so we adjusted fan setting.
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

PostSubject: Re: Predator advice? New user.   Predator advice?  New user. I_icon_minitimeNovember 21st 2011, 8:44 pm

Illinois Chaos wrote:

Good then if mine goes flying I get yours be default???? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Predator advice? New user.   Predator advice?  New user. I_icon_minitimeNovember 21st 2011, 8:49 pm

eviltrycycle wrote:
Illinois Chaos wrote:

Good then if mine goes flying I get yours be default???? Very Happy

I'll take extra care with Camm cars. Might even use the axle straps.
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

PostSubject: Re: Predator advice? New user.   Predator advice?  New user. I_icon_minitimeNovember 21st 2011, 9:14 pm

Mine isn't powerful enough to go anywhere. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
BigM
CAMM Pro
BigM

PostSubject: Re: Predator advice? New user.   Predator advice?  New user. I_icon_minitimeNovember 21st 2011, 9:53 pm

I'm trying not to pine for summer since we haven't hit December yet.

Although I changed the oil on the mower and put it away and get the snow blower ready this past weekend Sad

Is there a dyno day already on the calendar?
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

PostSubject: Re: Predator advice? New user.   Predator advice?  New user. I_icon_minitimeNovember 21st 2011, 10:19 pm

Nope not yet. We will have to work something out with Tim once the snow starts melting.
Back to top Go down
BigM
CAMM Pro
BigM

PostSubject: Re: Predator advice? New user.   Predator advice?  New user. I_icon_minitimeNovember 22nd 2011, 12:10 pm

Well I ordered the Jet 180 T-Stat since I needed the Husky Liners for the impending snow.

I've been putting off changing the spark plugs for a while so I can tackle the T-Stat when I do that before it gets too damn cold.

Probably not the smartest thing to Predator tune right before the snow flies... I haven't driving the Charger in snow yet (bought in April). Hopefully my Hankook SUV tires hold up well in the ice/snow.
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Predator advice? New user.   Predator advice?  New user. I_icon_minitimeNovember 22nd 2011, 2:37 pm

Put that t-stat in when spring comes. You will be glad to have the 212* for winter.
Back to top Go down
BigM
CAMM Pro
BigM

PostSubject: Re: Predator advice? New user.   Predator advice?  New user. I_icon_minitimeNovember 23rd 2011, 9:55 pm

Illinois Chaos wrote:
Put that t-stat in when spring comes. You will be glad to have the 212* for winter.

Yeah I guess you're right maybe just leave the tstat out for now! The Predator arrived today had to update my car before I could use it but that was easy enough. I never have luck on ebay but this guy had a really cheap buy it now and it included the usb cable and charger too.

I loaded the 91 tune with increased shift firmness. Probably won't drive it until later this weekend, can't wait Smile
Back to top Go down
BigM
CAMM Pro
BigM

PostSubject: Re: Predator advice? New user.   Predator advice?  New user. I_icon_minitimeNovember 26th 2011, 11:05 am

Update: So I loaded the canned 91 tune with shift firmness added and reset the tcm adaptives.

That canned tune really dials back the ESP I'm used to having it kick in. I don't think I'll run this tune in the winter unless I can have a Diablo moderator sprinkle back in the ESP.

Now the car really felt like my old 96 Impala except with 100 more horsepower and 60 more pound feet of torque Smile

The exhaust sounded different on the tune as well unless I'm imagining that. I have to get used to the throttle boost and quicker downshifts much more responsive with the 91 octane tune.

Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Predator advice? New user.   Predator advice?  New user. I_icon_minitimeNovember 26th 2011, 1:56 pm

Glad to hear it!!!! It's amazing how restrictive these cars are from the factory
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Predator advice? New user.   Predator advice?  New user. I_icon_minitimeNovember 26th 2011, 2:49 pm

The pred. is a must have mod for the hemi.
Back to top Go down
inkedup
CAMM All-Star
inkedup

PostSubject: Re: Predator advice? New user.   Predator advice?  New user. I_icon_minitimeNovember 26th 2011, 8:52 pm

how do you adjust shift firmness ,with the 93 tune?
Back to top Go down
BigM
CAMM Pro
BigM

PostSubject: Re: Predator advice? New user.   Predator advice?  New user. I_icon_minitimeNovember 27th 2011, 7:36 am

inkedup wrote:
how do you adjust shift firmness ,with the 93 tune?

Check out the quick adjust settings there you can select increased shift firmness but it only works with the 5.7 not the 6.1 and I'm not sure about every year/model either.
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Predator advice? New user.   Predator advice?  New user. I_icon_minitimeNovember 27th 2011, 1:20 pm

It depends on the Crom vers. It got removed on a rev.
Back to top Go down
inkedup
CAMM All-Star
inkedup

PostSubject: Re: Predator advice? New user.   Predator advice?  New user. I_icon_minitimeNovember 27th 2011, 6:00 pm

i have the original ver. i never updated,and dont plan on it since egr delete was removed
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Predator advice? New user.   Predator advice?  New user. I_icon_minitimeNovember 27th 2011, 7:25 pm

It should be there. I used to have it on my other predator.

Just looked on the diablo site. N/a for 6.1. It's been removed in the newer version, I guess.
Back to top Go down
BigM
CAMM Pro
BigM

PostSubject: Re: Predator advice? New user.   Predator advice?  New user. I_icon_minitimeNovember 28th 2011, 10:49 pm

As far as I can tell shift firmness has always been there for the 5.7 and never there for the 6.1 since the SRT already has increased firmness basically.

I'm running the very latest CROM v.29 which includes a mileage tune that supposedly works with 87 octane on the 5.7 I might try that later this winter to see if the mileage is any good.

Did my first commute today with the 91 canned tune and shift firmness with the TCM adaptives reset. Very nice Smile I see why people love the Predator. Really wakes up the car very noticeable the "Throttle Boost" that they bake into the newer tunes. Very quick downshifts too a few times I wasn't even looking for a downshift and I got it just during moderate 50-70 acceleration.

I'm glad to see that ESP still works although the threshold is very much raised. I had my not so sticky Hankook SUV tires squealing today.

Honestly the biggest difference in the tune is the tightening of the reflexes with the Throttle Boost and firm shifts. I'm sure the +2 degrees timing of the 91 tune makes a little more power but it was the lessening of torque management and quick firm shifts that make the difference.
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Predator advice? New user.   Predator advice?  New user. I_icon_minitimeNovember 29th 2011, 11:24 am

In '09 when I bought my pred, which Jesse has now, I swear it had shift firmness. Now I need an "un" shift firmness feature, lol. Higher stall and it might carry the wheels next season.
Back to top Go down
jesse031081
CAMM All-Star
jesse031081

PostSubject: Re: Predator advice? New user.   Predator advice?  New user. I_icon_minitimeNovember 29th 2011, 11:47 am

Your right Tom it has shift firmness. I can get those big nittos to still bark in second
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Predator advice? New user.   Predator advice?  New user. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Predator advice? New user.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next