Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Making tails flat black

Go down 
+2
Shawn1112
Fidostudio
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Fidostudio
CAMM Pro
Fidostudio

Making tails flat black Empty
PostSubject: Making tails flat black   Making tails flat black I_icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2011, 9:27 am

Any clue how to make my shiny black smoked tails more of a matte (flat) black??? I think it would tie in better...
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Making tails flat black   Making tails flat black I_icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2011, 9:49 am

Cant be done in vinyl?
Back to top Go down
Fidostudio
CAMM Pro
Fidostudio

PostSubject: Re: Making tails flat black   Making tails flat black I_icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2011, 9:54 am

Had my guys at Extreme do it yesterday and it looks like crap. I peeled it off.
Back to top Go down
Hypnotiq
CAMM All-Star
Hypnotiq

PostSubject: Re: Making tails flat black   Making tails flat black I_icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2011, 10:16 am

use VHT and dont clear coat them... lol. shit turns matte caulky
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: Making tails flat black   Making tails flat black I_icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2011, 10:53 am

Matte black tails are ugly. They look like someone cheaped out on the clear coat or can't paint for shit.
Back to top Go down
Fidostudio
CAMM Pro
Fidostudio

PostSubject: Re: Making tails flat black   Making tails flat black I_icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2011, 11:47 am

Ahhh, but they would match my trunk blackout better. It would look like all one piece them...No??
Back to top Go down
Fidostudio
CAMM Pro
Fidostudio

PostSubject: Re: Making tails flat black   Making tails flat black I_icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2011, 1:26 pm

jontoad wrote:
Matte black tails are ugly. They look like someone cheaped out on the clear coat or can't paint for shit.

Scratch that, you're right Jon...I found my old tails that I VHT'd and sprayed them with a matte varnish and put them on the car...YUCK!!

Gloss is better!
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Making tails flat black   Making tails flat black I_icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2011, 5:31 pm

Jon has a good eye for that kind of shit! I have taken his advice a few times.
Back to top Go down
HemiMag
CAMM All-Star
HemiMag

PostSubject: Re: Making tails flat black   Making tails flat black I_icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2011, 8:10 pm

How about painting the tops and sides colormatched ?
Back to top Go down
Fidostudio
CAMM Pro
Fidostudio

PostSubject: Re: Making tails flat black   Making tails flat black I_icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2011, 8:35 pm

Thought about it...I may do that eventually. I worked out my issues and came up with a solution that balanced everything on the back. Painted exhaust flat black and then added a gloss black SM emblem in the middle so the emblem ties in with the tails and back window...must be an artist thang

I've been in the process of removing or painting anything that isn't blue or black so there is no chrome whatsoever left...looks killer.
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Making tails flat black   Making tails flat black I_icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2011, 8:42 pm

What did you paint your exhaust with? Hopefully a high temp paint or header paint.
If not you are asking for major trouble, even a fire. I'm not bullshitting either
Back to top Go down
Fidostudio
CAMM Pro
Fidostudio

PostSubject: Re: Making tails flat black   Making tails flat black I_icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2011, 8:44 pm

High temp engine paint...
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Making tails flat black   Making tails flat black I_icon_minitimeAugust 25th 2011, 6:21 am

Pics???
Back to top Go down
Fidostudio
CAMM Pro
Fidostudio

PostSubject: Re: Making tails flat black   Making tails flat black I_icon_minitimeAugust 25th 2011, 9:03 am

Making tails flat black Img_2810
Back to top Go down
Hypnotiq
CAMM All-Star
Hypnotiq

PostSubject: Re: Making tails flat black   Making tails flat black I_icon_minitimeAugust 25th 2011, 11:03 am

That looks good tom!
Back to top Go down
HemiMag
CAMM All-Star
HemiMag

PostSubject: Re: Making tails flat black   Making tails flat black I_icon_minitimeAugust 25th 2011, 11:11 am

That looks real good.
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Making tails flat black   Making tails flat black I_icon_minitimeAugust 25th 2011, 3:21 pm

Pics of the exhaust you painted??????
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Making tails flat black   Making tails flat black I_icon_minitimeAugust 25th 2011, 3:30 pm

Fidostudio wrote:
High temp engine paint...

You might want to remove the engine paint and replace it with header paint. Im not sure if you know Bullish but he painted his headers with engine paint and they caught fire. Luckily he was able to die it out really quick. The engine paint is usually good till 500 degrees and the exhaust can get hotter than that really quick.
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Making tails flat black   Making tails flat black I_icon_minitimeAugust 25th 2011, 5:53 pm

Thats what I was talking about
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Making tails flat black   Making tails flat black I_icon_minitimeAugust 25th 2011, 6:05 pm

Shawn1112 wrote:
Thats what I was talking about

Yeah its pretty fucked up aint it? I just found out about it a couple months ago, I knew he had a fire but didnt know it was from the paint until recently.
Back to top Go down
Fidostudio
CAMM Pro
Fidostudio

PostSubject: Re: Making tails flat black   Making tails flat black I_icon_minitimeAugust 25th 2011, 8:30 pm

Been driving a lot and no problems so far...of course, now I'm freaked out!!
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Making tails flat black   Making tails flat black I_icon_minitimeAugust 25th 2011, 8:31 pm

Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Making tails flat black   Making tails flat black I_icon_minitimeAugust 25th 2011, 9:43 pm

Fidostudio wrote:
Been driving a lot and no problems so far...of course, now I'm freaked out!!
I wouldnt take any chances bro. You should have asked around here first. I would seriously consider removing the engine paint. God forbid it does catch on fire while your driving it will be too late before you see it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Making tails flat black   Making tails flat black I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Making tails flat black
Page 1 of 1