Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Front brake question

Go down 
+7
jontoad
Moparcharger07
HiPwr
Illinois Chaos
Dartboy
ghost
liljoejoe54
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

Front brake question Empty
PostSubject: Front brake question   Front brake question I_icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2010, 8:31 pm

I have the R1 drilled and slotted rotors on my car and they are awesome. When I first got them, I had OEM pads and they sucked then I switched to the Hawk HPS pads on the front (last summer) and they were better but lately I have noticed that my braking seems kindof weak all of a sudden. It doesnt feel as good as it used to and my brothers Daytona with OEM rotors and cheap pads feel better than my setup. I have never bled my brakes before, do you think its time to do it? The pedal doesnt really feel spongy, it just doesnt stop real good which is why I didnt think I had to bleed them. Also, what pads would you recommend that are better than the Hawk HPS but are quiet and dont give off a lot of dust?
Back to top Go down
ghost
Founding Member
Founding Member
ghost

PostSubject: Re: Front brake question   Front brake question I_icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2010, 8:57 pm

brake fluid yo! i have the red stuff. thet are good but squeek for ever while breaking in. i had the posi quiets, liked those a lot.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Front brake question   Front brake question I_icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2010, 11:38 pm

ghost wrote:
brake fluid yo! i have the red stuff. thet are good but squeek for ever while breaking in. i had the posi quiets, liked those a lot.

Brake fluid is full. How long did the red stuff take to break in? Im gonna look into getting those.
Back to top Go down
Dartboy
Founding Member
Founding Member
Dartboy

PostSubject: Re: Front brake question   Front brake question I_icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2010, 11:57 pm

posi's on mine also.... Ive heard....alot of dust and wear easy! so I kept away from em!

i think the red stuff he talkin about is brake fluid!

Last edited by Dartboy on April 24th 2010, 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Front brake question   Front brake question I_icon_minitimeApril 24th 2010, 7:39 am

There was a long post about brakes and rotors That said if you aren't racing alot to just use oem for the best all around braking performance. OEM is dusty, but isn't day to day driveability the most important thing here? I've never heard of anyone posting issues with OEM pads, other than a little dust. I'm sticking with OEM after suffering through that long read on the subject.
Back to top Go down
ghost
Founding Member
Founding Member
ghost

PostSubject: Re: Front brake question   Front brake question I_icon_minitimeApril 24th 2010, 7:47 am

liljoejoe54 wrote:
ghost wrote:

Brake fluid is full. How long did the red stuff take to break in? Im gonna look into getting those.

Fing 4ever! out of the 3 i have had on my car, the red stuff seem to have the best stopping power, but that squeaking is enough to drive you nuts! JT has them as well, he said something about them being real hard on rotors. you might want to check in with him as well. with the drilled and slotted rotors, i don';t think thatthey can be resurfaced.
Back to top Go down
HiPwr
HiPwr

PostSubject: Re: Front brake question   Front brake question I_icon_minitimeApril 24th 2010, 7:55 am

I have Gransport GS-6 ceramic pads. I don't know how they are on the track, but they stop nice, are quiet, and zero dust.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Front brake question   Front brake question I_icon_minitimeApril 24th 2010, 9:44 am

Illinois Chaos wrote:
There was a long post about brakes and rotors That said if you aren't racing alot to just use oem for the best all around braking performance. OEM is dusty, but isn't day to day driveability the most important thing here? I've never heard of anyone posting issues with OEM pads, other than a little dust. I'm sticking with OEM after suffering through that long read on the subject.

I had the OEM pads and they made a really bad noise when stopping at low speeds. It sounded like my front end was falling apart. I never thought it was the pads and went under the car looking for noises like 3 times. Then I bought the Hawk HPS pads and put them on and the noise was gone so I knew it was the OEM pads.

Chris, the red stuff is the Red Stuff Brake Pads, lol. Thats the name of them.

Dave, Ill ask Jontoad if they are OK for the drilled/slotted rotors.

Eric, ill look into those GS-6 pads as well.
Back to top Go down
Moparcharger07
CAMM Member
Moparcharger07

PostSubject: Re: Front brake question   Front brake question I_icon_minitimeApril 24th 2010, 8:22 pm

I'd maybe try to "flush out the brake fluid with some new fluid, open all the bleeders and let it ALL gravity bleed out, OR have somebody to help, I've done it alot lately and it helps, brake fluid breaks down just like other oild ya know man? So some new brake fluid, and maybe go with the good synthetic kind or something like that might help, hell.... it won't hurt lol
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Front brake question   Front brake question I_icon_minitimeApril 24th 2010, 9:06 pm

Moparcharger06 wrote:
I'd maybe try to "flush out the brake fluid with some new fluid, open all the bleeders and let it ALL gravity bleed out, OR have somebody to help, I've done it alot lately and it helps, brake fluid breaks down just like other oild ya know man? So some new brake fluid, and maybe go with the good synthetic kind or something like that might help, hell.... it won't hurt lol

Ill give that a shot, thanks! Any good brand fluid you would recommend?
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: Front brake question   Front brake question I_icon_minitimeApril 24th 2010, 9:28 pm

like i said in pm Joe the hawks are a good pad and i would think your problem would lie elsewhere. make sure your calipers are sliding well or the back side pad will wear down faster and it won't distribute the braking force equal. that can lead to poor brake performance. also like Adam said change the fluid.

the reds are great. best pad i have used on the street and can stand up to track abuse, but yes they are hard on rotors. any track worthy pad will be, thats why the stock pads are so poor performing. they are made for the general public who doesn't like rotor wear.

the reds are track/street and the yellows are even more aggressive for mostly track use.

as for the posi-quiets.... they are great for daily driving if noise and dust are your problem. but they don't perform that well and if you ever tried to track them you might kill yourself from brake fade. you would also burn them down to the backing plate in about one track session. they aren't made for that.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Front brake question   Front brake question I_icon_minitimeApril 24th 2010, 10:20 pm

jontoad wrote:
like i said in pm Joe the hawks are a good pad and i would think your problem would lie elsewhere. make sure your calipers are sliding well or the back side pad will wear down faster and it won't distribute the braking force equal. that can lead to poor brake performance. also like Adam said change the fluid.

the reds are great. best pad i have used on the street and can stand up to track abuse, but yes they are hard on rotors. any track worthy pad will be, thats why the stock pads are so poor performing. they are made for the general public who doesn't like rotor wear.

the reds are track/street and the yellows are even more aggressive for mostly track use.

as for the posi-quiets.... they are great for daily driving if noise and dust are your problem. but they don't perform that well and if you ever tried to track them you might kill yourself from brake fade. you would also burn them down to the backing plate in about one track session. they aren't made for that.

Thanks alot Jon. Im gonna try the fluid change first and also check my calipers and make sure they are sliding like they should.
Back to top Go down
Moparcharger07
CAMM Member
Moparcharger07

PostSubject: Re: Front brake question   Front brake question I_icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 9:24 am

liljoejoe54 wrote:
Moparcharger06 wrote:

I'd stick with a name brand fluid, and get the best synthetic type fluid
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Front brake question   Front brake question I_icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 9:38 am

Moparcharger06 wrote:
liljoejoe54 wrote:
Moparcharger06 wrote:

I'd stick with a name brand fluid, and get the best synthetic type fluid

Thanks. Jontoad told me about wilwood and redline fluid. I am going to pick one of those but do we use Dot 3 or Dot 4?
Back to top Go down
Moparcharger07
CAMM Member
Moparcharger07

PostSubject: Re: Front brake question   Front brake question I_icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 10:09 am

I'm not too sure, I believe it says on the master cylinder cap probably
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Front brake question   Front brake question I_icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 4:55 pm

When I changed my brake fluid the brakes felt alot better.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Front brake question   Front brake question I_icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 5:27 pm

Shawn1112 wrote:

Thats good to know. Im gonna try to do them tomorrow in my garage. Ill go to pep-boys and see if they have any good synthetic fluid. How much do I need?
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

PostSubject: Re: Front brake question   Front brake question I_icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 9:17 pm

liljoejoe54 wrote:
Shawn1112 wrote:

Thats good to know. Im gonna try to do them tomorrow in my garage. Ill go to pep-boys and see if they have any good synthetic fluid. How much do I need?

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bleeding_brakes.htm
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Front brake question   Front brake question I_icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 9:21 pm

Iguanaman wrote:
liljoejoe54 wrote:
Shawn1112 wrote:

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bleeding_brakes.htm

Nice find, thanks!
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

PostSubject: Re: Front brake question   Front brake question I_icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 9:33 pm

That site is really good for brake info.
Back to top Go down
chargerchick
CAMM All-Star
chargerchick

PostSubject: Re: Front brake question   Front brake question I_icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 10:08 pm

Thanks for posting that Dave! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Front brake question   Front brake question I_icon_minitimeApril 26th 2010, 6:54 am

liljoejoe54 wrote:
Shawn1112 wrote:

I just bought the biggest bottle they had. and I believe I had some left over.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Front brake question   Front brake question I_icon_minitimeApril 26th 2010, 11:50 am

Ok I just picked up some Castrol Synthetic fluid. It said it can be used on cars that use either Dot 3 OR Dot 4. But the boiling point is only 325. I saw some online that are rated at 500 degrees for nearly the same price. I guess ill just give this a shot. Either way its going to be better than the OEM fluid from the factory.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Front brake question   Front brake question I_icon_minitimeApril 27th 2010, 2:00 pm

Well I changed the fluid and then bled them for the hell of it today and went for a ride. The brakes feel much better than before. The old fluid was pretty brown. Thanks alot everyone.
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

PostSubject: Re: Front brake question   Front brake question I_icon_minitimeApril 27th 2010, 2:35 pm

liljoejoe54 wrote:
Well I changed the fluid and then bled them for the hell of it today and went for a ride. The brakes feel much better than before. The old fluid was pretty brown. Thanks alot everyone.

How easy was this to do?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front brake question   Front brake question I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Front brake question
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next