Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Amazed by a catch can

Go down 
+16
HiPwr
Moparcharger07
irishrt5.7
ChiTownHemi
cobretti
cliff
Mad Hatter
Shawn1112
jontoad
movieking117
chargerchick
DCSpecial
jesse031081
Iguanaman
eviltrycycle
crazy933
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
370 Hemi
Supporting Vendor

Amazed by a catch can - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amazed by a catch can   Amazed by a catch can - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMarch 16th 2010, 7:38 am

cobretti wrote:
Well I stand corrected. I was just helping someone out on lxf and found some interesting stuff on cfz. Apparently SOME of the v6 guys are having problems with their plenums getting gunked up and causing their cars to A, not run ar B, throw codes. I stand corrected, catch cans DO serve a purpose. Whoever thinks they're worthless are IDIOTS! LOL

Remember that a Catch Can is designed to deal with changing states of matter in the oil system/crankcase.

It is basically a mechanical device to mitigate an improper vapor point of the engine oil. We all know from Physics that matter changes states when absorbing or dissipating latent heat.....water boiling in a pan for instance. It goes from a liquid to a gas...that is until it finds a cold window or a cold drink, and then condenses back into a liquid.

The oils are doing the same thing. Typical oils have a vapor point in the 350 to 375 deg range. The catch can will help the vapor of not just oil, but unburned liquid materials and water to end up in the can instead of the intake.

We know that the engine oils that are provided at the dealership are substandard and cheap at best. Our engine technologies have eclipsed the ability of the standard mineral based oils to protect the internals for long. This is why sludging is a problem especially with the 2.7 and 3.5L in the LX/LC cars.

This is why we manufacture the QuantumBlue Custom Blended Lubricants to address all the minutia and differences with not just the design but also how you use the car, where you use it and what modifications you have done to it to produce a one off for each customer and then put the formula into the computer for later reference.

Catch cans are fine and are helpful, and moving to QuantumBlue Custom Blends with a high vapor point over (600 deg) is essential for long term engine health!

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:checkflag:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

Last edited by HiPwr on March 16th 2010, 7:52 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fixed quote.)
Back to top Go down
ChiTownHemi
CAMM All-Star
ChiTownHemi

PostSubject: Re: Amazed by a catch can   Amazed by a catch can - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMarch 18th 2010, 9:37 pm

DCSpecial wrote:
Actually some people have reported less knock retard after installing a catch can.
Reason being that the oil makes its way to the combustion chamber essentially contaminating the air/fuel mixture.
Less Knock Retard means less timing is pulled, which means better performance.

From the DiabloSport web site...

Before posting up about minimal gains, or dynos showing power losses. Please, log your Knock retard. And when possible, get a Catch Can on the vehicle.

At this point in time, its common knowledge, that all Hemis, especially 6.1's have serious knock retard issues. You need to log your ST KR and adjust the tune to suit your car. All motors are different and all will require different adjustments, which is why the changes cannot be made in the canned tunes.

If the adjustments are made properly, you will not lose power. If you don't have the knowledge to make the changes yourself, find a CMR tuner who can make a custom tune for you.

The Catch Can is needed because the Hemi PCV system was designed by a retard, and without one, you're going to get a puddle of oil in the bottom of your intake manifold, which contributes to knock.
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

PostSubject: Re: Amazed by a catch can   Amazed by a catch can - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMarch 18th 2010, 10:03 pm

ChiTownHemi wrote:

The Catch Can is needed because the Hemi PCV system was designed by a retard, and without one, you're going to get a puddle of oil in the bottom of your intake manifold, which contributes to knock.

Great find...
Back to top Go down
crazylikeacharger
CAMM Member
crazylikeacharger

PostSubject: Re: Amazed by a catch can   Amazed by a catch can - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeApril 30th 2010, 8:11 pm

i have had a catch can for over a year and since i have a Ram Air hood with airbox so i cant mount it in the standard location and my custom made brake controller cover.

so i was searching for a place that sells the hose so i can mount it near the firewall but apparently the places around me dont sell that size hose
Back to top Go down
crazylikeacharger
CAMM Member
crazylikeacharger

PostSubject: Re: Amazed by a catch can   Amazed by a catch can - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeApril 30th 2010, 9:34 pm

i need about 6' if someone can find some cheap near them i would appreciate it
Back to top Go down
HiPwr
HiPwr

PostSubject: Re: Amazed by a catch can   Amazed by a catch can - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeApril 30th 2010, 9:42 pm

I bought my hoses from BMC. It took them two deliveries, but I was satisfied in the end.
Back to top Go down
crazylikeacharger
CAMM Member
crazylikeacharger

PostSubject: Re: Amazed by a catch can   Amazed by a catch can - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeApril 30th 2010, 9:43 pm

thanks HiPwr i will check them out.
Back to top Go down
moaugust88
CAMM Pro
moaugust88

PostSubject: Re: Amazed by a catch can   Amazed by a catch can - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeJune 23rd 2010, 2:29 pm

Would fuel line/vapor hose be ok for catch cans? I know the heater hose wouldn't work for a long time and I know the PCV hose size are kinda hard to find locally.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Amazed by a catch can   Amazed by a catch can - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Amazed by a catch can
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3