Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Amazed by a catch can

Go down 
+16
HiPwr
Moparcharger07
irishrt5.7
ChiTownHemi
cobretti
cliff
Mad Hatter
Shawn1112
jontoad
movieking117
chargerchick
DCSpecial
jesse031081
Iguanaman
eviltrycycle
crazy933
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
crazy933
CAMM Pro
crazy933

Amazed by a catch can Empty
PostSubject: Amazed by a catch can   Amazed by a catch can I_icon_minitimeNovember 18th 2009, 8:00 pm

when i first too off the hose from the PCV valve to the intake there was a little oil in in. after having 100 miles on the car since the catch can wa on there i was amazed at the amount of oil in it. sure it was only a few drops but that was after 100 miles. how much oil was that motor sucked down in the past 48k miles?

guys and girls thanks for the input on the catch cans. if it wasn't for CAMM i would have never known.
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

PostSubject: Re: Amazed by a catch can   Amazed by a catch can I_icon_minitimeNovember 18th 2009, 8:22 pm

Cool deal!!!

I have yet to open mine since I put it on. Maybe Friday just to see what's in there.
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

PostSubject: Re: Amazed by a catch can   Amazed by a catch can I_icon_minitimeNovember 18th 2009, 8:48 pm

What amazes people about them besides the fact that there's oil in it? Bona fide performance gains, mileage gains, other quantifiable gains from this?
Back to top Go down
crazy933
CAMM Pro
crazy933

PostSubject: Re: Amazed by a catch can   Amazed by a catch can I_icon_minitimeNovember 18th 2009, 9:05 pm

i would like to know how much crap has been sucked back into the motor
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

PostSubject: Re: Amazed by a catch can   Amazed by a catch can I_icon_minitimeNovember 18th 2009, 9:15 pm

crazy933 wrote:
i would like to know how much crap has been sucked back into the motor

Yeah, that's a nice to know, I'm just looking for engineering-type-info that will make a convincing case that it's necessary.
Back to top Go down
jesse031081
CAMM All-Star
jesse031081

PostSubject: Re: Amazed by a catch can   Amazed by a catch can I_icon_minitimeNovember 18th 2009, 10:00 pm

Basically its a filter that goes between your PCV valves. It will catch
the oil "blow-by" before it hits your intake. Easy to install, and it is
easy to empty. Like every oil change (3000mi)

Over time, oil and other unburned contaminates will condense and
built up behind the throttle body plate and intake. So it is a long term
investment and reliability mod.... Helps things stay cleaner.

So to quickly answer your three questions:

(1) No, its not a performance mod.
(2) No, its not a fuel system enhancement mod.
(3) No, it does not replace anything on the PVC system but enhances
overall operation over time (filter out and condense oil, etc.)
I found this for you
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

PostSubject: Re: Amazed by a catch can   Amazed by a catch can I_icon_minitimeNovember 18th 2009, 10:33 pm

ok, thanks.
Back to top Go down
DCSpecial
CAMM Member

PostSubject: Re: Amazed by a catch can   Amazed by a catch can I_icon_minitimeNovember 19th 2009, 1:11 am

Actually some people have reported less knock retard after installing a catch can.
Reason being that the oil makes its way to the combustion chamber essentially contaminating the air/fuel mixture.
Less Knock Retard means less timing is pulled, which means better performance.
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

PostSubject: Re: Amazed by a catch can   Amazed by a catch can I_icon_minitimeNovember 19th 2009, 6:18 am

DCSpecial wrote:
Actually some people have reported less knock retard after installing a catch can.
Reason being that the oil makes its way to the combustion chamber essentially contaminating the air/fuel mixture.

OK, now that sounds like it could help what I'm experiencing now. Sometimes i feel like my knock is retarded. jocolor
Back to top Go down
chargerchick
CAMM All-Star
chargerchick

PostSubject: Re: Amazed by a catch can   Amazed by a catch can I_icon_minitimeNovember 19th 2009, 8:01 am

Thanks for your answers, Jesse! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DCSpecial
CAMM Member

PostSubject: Re: Amazed by a catch can   Amazed by a catch can I_icon_minitimeNovember 19th 2009, 8:08 am

Iguanaman wrote:
DCSpecial wrote:

OK, now that sounds like it could help what I'm experiencing now. Sometimes i feel like my knock is retarded. jocolor

All knock is retarded....that's why you want to get rid of it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
movieking117
CAMM Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Amazed by a catch can   Amazed by a catch can I_icon_minitimeDecember 28th 2009, 11:51 pm

where do u get a catch can?
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: Amazed by a catch can   Amazed by a catch can I_icon_minitimeDecember 29th 2009, 12:04 am

movieking117 wrote:

billet technology, Maryland speed, BMC performance, and Michigan Hemi Performance to name a few places.
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Amazed by a catch can   Amazed by a catch can I_icon_minitimeDecember 29th 2009, 9:25 pm

movieking117 wrote:
Matt (elcobra) usually sells them. Hopefully he will get his ass off that xbox and see this.
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

PostSubject: Re: Amazed by a catch can   Amazed by a catch can I_icon_minitimeDecember 30th 2009, 5:43 pm

Left the good info on catch cans and moved the lady offending stuff.

As you were.
Back to top Go down
Mad Hatter
CAMM Member
Mad Hatter

PostSubject: Re: Amazed by a catch can   Amazed by a catch can I_icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2009, 8:15 pm

Mine is on the Way!

Got in on the Big BT sale!
Back to top Go down
cliff
CAMM Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Amazed by a catch can   Amazed by a catch can I_icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2009, 8:46 pm

The only downside to a catch can is that you HAVE to remember to empty it regularly. If you forget, then at some point you will step on the gas, and she'll get a lungfull of oil. This is a very bad thing. Much worse than a little mist at a time.

Cliff
Back to top Go down
jesse031081
CAMM All-Star
jesse031081

PostSubject: Re: Amazed by a catch can   Amazed by a catch can I_icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2009, 8:58 pm

i just empty each oil change or when i want to show people how much it keeps off my engine.
Back to top Go down
crazy933
CAMM Pro
crazy933

PostSubject: Re: Amazed by a catch can   Amazed by a catch can I_icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2009, 8:59 pm

I am still trying to figure out how much oil it will collect between oil changes. after installing it i had an oil change 500 miles later and there was probably 30cc of oil. I should be able to go 3000 miles before emptying it maybe 5000 miles now that i'm using synthetic. I will have to keep an eye on it to get to know how far i can go.
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Amazed by a catch can   Amazed by a catch can I_icon_minitimeJanuary 1st 2010, 3:57 am

You can go at least 3000 miles before emptying it. If you forget to empty your catch can and your car gets a lungful, then you are fucking stupid, and you dont deserve to own a mopar! Sorry to be blunt but its the truth!
Back to top Go down
cliff
CAMM Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Amazed by a catch can   Amazed by a catch can I_icon_minitimeJanuary 1st 2010, 8:19 am

Shawn1112 wrote:
You can go at least 3000 miles before emptying it. If you forget to empty your catch can and your car gets a lungful, then you are fucking stupid, and you dont deserve to own a mopar! Sorry to be blunt but its the truth!

That seems a bit harsh.

Lots of things in life can come up that make you forget odd bits of regular maintenance on house and car. I've gone 10K miles and realized I hadn't rotated my tires or checked the torque on the lug nuts on previous vehicles. I'm just suggesting that people put it on their calander or something. If you change your own oil, it's just part of the job, but if you have someone else do it, they aren't going to look to see if you have a catch can and empty it for you. It's not a big deal, but the consequences of not doing it can be high -- much higher than forgetting to rotate your tires. I think it's important to understand that, that's all

Just my opinion.
Cliff
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

PostSubject: Re: Amazed by a catch can   Amazed by a catch can I_icon_minitimeMarch 6th 2010, 10:15 pm

Here's my catch can and its contents after just 3 weeks, running dinosaur oil:

Amazed by a catch can CatchCan_20100306-1

Amazed by a catch can CatchCan_20100306-2

Last edited by Iguanaman on March 13th 2010, 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
crazy933
CAMM Pro
crazy933

PostSubject: Re: Amazed by a catch can   Amazed by a catch can I_icon_minitimeMarch 8th 2010, 5:22 pm

I just had the catch can on for a 4000 miles of running synthetic and it was just about half full
Back to top Go down
Mad Hatter
CAMM Member
Mad Hatter

PostSubject: Re: Amazed by a catch can   Amazed by a catch can I_icon_minitimeMarch 9th 2010, 10:40 pm

Something to look forward to. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
cobretti
CAMM Rookie
cobretti

PostSubject: Re: Amazed by a catch can   Amazed by a catch can I_icon_minitimeMarch 13th 2010, 1:29 am

Iguanaman wrote:
What amazes people about them besides the fact that there's oil in it? Bona fide performance gains, mileage gains, other quantifiable gains from this?

None whatsoever! If they were necessary Chrysler would have put them there. IMO Just another way to get your money. If the oil doesn't foul the plug whats the difference? $100!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Amazed by a catch can   Amazed by a catch can I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Amazed by a catch can
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next