Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

water transfer...

Go down 
+2
crazy933
jontoad
6 posters
AuthorMessage
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

water transfer... Empty
PostSubject: water transfer...   water transfer... I_icon_minitimeDecember 25th 2009, 2:41 pm

so looking at all these carbon fiber parts and what company's are charging to have parts dipped I'm looking into doing this myself... I'm gonna try to do my trucks rims in black carbon fiber.....

basically anything you want can have an image transfered onto it by dipping it into the film in water. company's charge an arm and a leg for this. like 200 per wheel or part.

here is a vid.

basically you prep the part for paint or base coat it. then you put the film in water (any thing big enough to hold the film and enough warm water to dip your par in will do you don't need the fancy tank) let it sit a about 30 seconds. then you spray the activator on it and dip the part in. shake it, and pull it out. then you rinse off the gummy crap from the transfer paper and clear coat it.

you can get the materials cheap on ebay...

activator 40bux - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160385719980&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

36in square of black carbon fiber film 10 bux each - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160383347381&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

then automotive clear coat at the parts store or have the parts professionally clear coated...

I'm thinking id order about 6 yards of film. 1 yard for each 20in wheel on my truck and 2 extra yards for interior pieces and random shit.

should be able to a bunch of parts for like 100 bux instead of 1 wheel for 200 bux....

does anyone want to try this with me? Joe?
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

water transfer... Empty
PostSubject: Re: water transfer...   water transfer... I_icon_minitimeDecember 25th 2009, 2:43 pm

think of the possibilities.... carbon grills, hood scoop bezels, coolant tanks, shifter bezels, guage rings, ect....
Back to top Go down
crazy933
CAMM Pro
crazy933

water transfer... Empty
PostSubject: Re: water transfer...   water transfer... I_icon_minitimeDecember 25th 2009, 3:41 pm

So this is a carbon fiber look? you are not using real carbon fiber right.
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

water transfer... Empty
PostSubject: Re: water transfer...   water transfer... I_icon_minitimeDecember 25th 2009, 3:44 pm

crazy933 wrote:
So this is a carbon fiber look? you are not using real carbon fiber right.

the way the water waps it around the piece it looks like its real if you clear coat it right. its the way they make the carbon interor pieces for the superbees. my dash bezel is from a superbee and is done in this finish.
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

water transfer... Empty
PostSubject: Re: water transfer...   water transfer... I_icon_minitimeDecember 25th 2009, 4:41 pm

Good luck bro! I'm sure there is little tricks and other shit they dont tell you about. Maybe you can practice on some small things first.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

water transfer... Empty
PostSubject: Re: water transfer...   water transfer... I_icon_minitimeDecember 25th 2009, 4:49 pm

My buddy did something like that to his goalie helmet back in the day. It looked like it was made out of marble. It was pretty damn cool.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

water transfer... Empty
PostSubject: Re: water transfer...   water transfer... I_icon_minitimeDecember 25th 2009, 4:51 pm

And yeah give me a call when you are going to try this. Ill give you a hand for sure.
Back to top Go down
HiPwr
HiPwr

water transfer... Empty
PostSubject: Re: water transfer...   water transfer... I_icon_minitimeDecember 25th 2009, 4:53 pm

I wonder how that would hold up on a rim like that.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

water transfer... Empty
PostSubject: Re: water transfer...   water transfer... I_icon_minitimeDecember 25th 2009, 4:57 pm

HiPwr wrote:
I wonder how that would hold up on a rim like that.

I think if it had a good clear coat over it, it would hold up pretty good.
Back to top Go down
HiPwr
HiPwr

water transfer... Empty
PostSubject: Re: water transfer...   water transfer... I_icon_minitimeDecember 25th 2009, 5:02 pm

Anyone know who makes that rim?
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

water transfer... Empty
PostSubject: Re: water transfer...   water transfer... I_icon_minitimeDecember 25th 2009, 5:05 pm

HiPwr wrote:

Im sure Jon would know.
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

water transfer... Empty
PostSubject: Re: water transfer...   water transfer... I_icon_minitimeDecember 25th 2009, 6:50 pm

liljoejoe54 wrote:
HiPwr wrote:

Im sure Jon would know.

lol. i have no idea if it has no center cap. there are billions of wheels out there. every year hundreds get discontinued. i know most. that one i don't but it looks like a factory style, maybe some kind of Nissan.

in this process it looks like it would come out fine. if you watch the other videos on youtube its all the same process and real simple. the important step is the final clear coat. it does look like flat dark base coat with silver/clear carbon film is the way most of them are doing it, and not the full black/silver carbon print.
Back to top Go down
jesse031081
CAMM All-Star
jesse031081

water transfer... Empty
PostSubject: Re: water transfer...   water transfer... I_icon_minitimeDecember 25th 2009, 8:34 pm

thats pretty cool jt. id like to get a few things done!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

water transfer... Empty
PostSubject: Re: water transfer...   water transfer... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

water transfer...
Page 1 of 1