Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Drive way header install

Go down 
+5
Admin
chargerchick
HiPwr
Moparcharger07
Jagdcharger
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Jagdcharger
CAMM Member
Jagdcharger

Drive way header install Empty
PostSubject: Drive way header install   Drive way header install I_icon_minitimeSeptember 3rd 2009, 1:57 am

Well looks like this weekend I get to install my own shorty's....on the ground....ramps and jack stands of course. Any advice? I have already purchased Mopar 6.1 header bolts and factory manifold gaskets. guess you find out who your friends are, they all bailed on me Jerk Off . I initially intended on waiting for everything to arrive so I could do the exhaust at the same time, Thats not gonna happen, so it looks like a two weekend gig. I am a part time mechanic so I do have skills and tools so thats not an issue. Just looking for a heads up from someone who's done this to give me an idea of any shortcuts and cautions that I need to be aware of.

Should be flirting with 12's in a couple of weeks with minor bolt ons and a CMR tune..full interior and DR's....gotta love a daily driver

Jagd
Back to top Go down
Moparcharger07
CAMM Member
Moparcharger07

PostSubject: Re: Drive way header install   Drive way header install I_icon_minitimeSeptember 3rd 2009, 8:06 am

I know Irishrt5.7 (Brian) installed his headers in his garage. From what I remember him saying there was alot of lifting, and twisting of the motor.
Back to top Go down
HiPwr
HiPwr

PostSubject: Re: Drive way header install   Drive way header install I_icon_minitimeSeptember 3rd 2009, 8:25 am

That does not sound like fun. Good luck, Doug. I hope it goes smoothly.
Back to top Go down
chargerchick
CAMM All-Star
chargerchick

PostSubject: Re: Drive way header install   Drive way header install I_icon_minitimeSeptember 3rd 2009, 9:26 am

Talk to Matt! He's done enough of 'em to give you advice! Smile
Back to top Go down
HiPwr
HiPwr

PostSubject: Re: Drive way header install   Drive way header install I_icon_minitimeSeptember 3rd 2009, 9:29 am

It sounds like a knuckle-busting venture. Of course, I can hardly open my hood without incurring a blood-drawing gash. I cut myself brushing my teeth this morning!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Founding Member
Founding Member
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Drive way header install   Drive way header install I_icon_minitimeSeptember 3rd 2009, 9:55 am

Step 1. Pull Heads
Step 2. Install Headers
Step 3. Reinstall Heads

Smile
Back to top Go down
BlackTNT
CAMM Member
BlackTNT

PostSubject: Re: Drive way header install   Drive way header install I_icon_minitimeSeptember 3rd 2009, 10:17 am

See it's easy as 1,2,3..... scratch
Back to top Go down
Jagdcharger
CAMM Member
Jagdcharger

PostSubject: Re: Drive way header install   Drive way header install I_icon_minitimeSeptember 3rd 2009, 11:01 am

elcobra44 wrote:
Step 1. Pull Heads
Step 2. Install Headers
Step 3. Reinstall Heads

Smile

Ha fucking Ha, not gonna happen, I don't have your skills Matt, not about to crack open a Hemi on my own, especially mine! Doin this old school, back yard mechanic style, gonna have to bust out a mullet wig and bring Rat Fink along for support..Freaking CAMM members, Can't suffer a 4 or 5 hour drive to bust they're nuckles on a strangers car, some club lol j/k....Seriously, am I gonna need a hoist? This just keeps getting better and better but its gonna get done
Back to top Go down
Admin
Founding Member
Founding Member
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Drive way header install   Drive way header install I_icon_minitimeSeptember 3rd 2009, 11:06 am

Shawn and I tried his install from underneath.. and gave up. I'd never attempt to do that install again like that. Hardest part is getting the damn heat shields out.. Be prepared to destroy them.

Also, if you don't have locking header bolts, remember to retighten the standard bolts after a few hundred miles or they'll leak and ruin a gasket.
Back to top Go down
ghost
Founding Member
Founding Member
ghost

PostSubject: Re: Drive way header install   Drive way header install I_icon_minitimeSeptember 3rd 2009, 11:10 am

i did kooks long tubes from my back in my garage under the car on ramps and jack stands. it is a pain in the balls! tightening the top bolt on the drivers side is fucking a pain in the ass! getting the heat shields off is a pain in the ass! breaking lose the factory header bolts is a pain in the ass! it is all worth it though! if you have an exhaust on the way, i would wait and do it all at once.
Back to top Go down
Jagdcharger
CAMM Member
Jagdcharger

PostSubject: Re: Drive way header install   Drive way header install I_icon_minitimeSeptember 3rd 2009, 11:28 am

ghost wrote:
i did kooks long tubes from my back in my garage under the car on ramps and jack stands. it is a pain in the balls! tightening the top bolt on the drivers side is fucking a pain in the ass! getting the heat shields off is a pain in the ass! breaking lose the factory header bolts is a pain in the ass! it is all worth it though! if you have an exhaust on the way, i would wait and do it all at once.

Don't get me fuming over waiting for those freaking mids again, I think they should refund my shipping or something for the hassle this has caused me. I don't expect everybody to ship as fast as Maryland Speed..it almost would have been worth the extra 80 bucks to have had my parts in a few days rather than a month....regardless, i'm running out of time so I have to get started, mids are not
Back to top Go down
Admin
Founding Member
Founding Member
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Drive way header install   Drive way header install I_icon_minitimeSeptember 3rd 2009, 11:36 am

Who'd you order the new mids from?
Back to top Go down
Jagdcharger
CAMM Member
Jagdcharger

PostSubject: Re: Drive way header install   Drive way header install I_icon_minitimeSeptember 3rd 2009, 11:38 am

HHP
Back to top Go down
Admin
Founding Member
Founding Member
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Drive way header install   Drive way header install I_icon_minitimeSeptember 3rd 2009, 11:42 am

Why not Maryland Speed? Just curious....
Back to top Go down
Jagdcharger
CAMM Member
Jagdcharger

PostSubject: Re: Drive way header install   Drive way header install I_icon_minitimeSeptember 3rd 2009, 11:42 am

To be fair, I posted this issue on the open forum on LXF and I have spoken with Josh and he explained what and why this happend, But it still doesnt change things much. They are writing me a CMR tune as we speak, I can only hope that it doesnt take months
Back to top Go down
Jagdcharger
CAMM Member
Jagdcharger

PostSubject: Re: Drive way header install   Drive way header install I_icon_minitimeSeptember 3rd 2009, 11:45 am

When you go to MS website and click on midpipes, 5.7 mids do not show up you kinda have to search for them, So honestly I didnt see that they had them in stock at first, also money is an issue and HHP's were almost 100 bucks cheaper, even with shipping
Back to top Go down
Admin
Founding Member
Founding Member
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Drive way header install   Drive way header install I_icon_minitimeSeptember 3rd 2009, 12:06 pm

I forget, what midpipes and shorties did you finally settle on?
Back to top Go down
Jagdcharger
CAMM Member
Jagdcharger

PostSubject: Re: Drive way header install   Drive way header install I_icon_minitimeSeptember 3rd 2009, 12:11 pm

Well the JBA D-ports have just been released recently and I got those through HHP, Magnaflow 2 1/2 mids and cats, and the JBA catback.. If I could have gotten a hold of Jen a couple of days ago I would have told HHP just to cancel my order and I would have paid the extra for the JBA mids Maryland Speed has
Back to top Go down
Admin
Founding Member
Founding Member
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Drive way header install   Drive way header install I_icon_minitimeSeptember 3rd 2009, 12:14 pm

I didn't realize that Magnaflow made mids for the 5.7...
Back to top Go down
Jagdcharger
CAMM Member
Jagdcharger

PostSubject: Re: Drive way header install   Drive way header install I_icon_minitimeSeptember 3rd 2009, 12:20 pm

http://estore.websitepros.com/802805/Detail.bok?no=928

HHP mids Magna flow cats
Back to top Go down
Admin
Founding Member
Founding Member
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Drive way header install   Drive way header install I_icon_minitimeSeptember 3rd 2009, 12:28 pm

Oh, they're HHP mids.. Gotcha.
Back to top Go down
Jagdcharger
CAMM Member
Jagdcharger

PostSubject: Re: Drive way header install   Drive way header install I_icon_minitimeSeptember 3rd 2009, 12:32 pm

BTW... I did go to the dealer and bought factory 6.1 manifold bolts, is that some sort of locking compound on the threads?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Founding Member
Founding Member
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Drive way header install   Drive way header install I_icon_minitimeSeptember 3rd 2009, 12:57 pm

Drive way header install Loctite%20242

Use blue if you want to be able to remove the bolts in the future without must trouble..
Back to top Go down
Jagdcharger
CAMM Member
Jagdcharger

PostSubject: Re: Drive way header install   Drive way header install I_icon_minitimeSeptember 3rd 2009, 12:58 pm

Gotcha, have some in my box. Thanks Matt
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Drive way header install   Drive way header install I_icon_minitimeSeptember 3rd 2009, 3:04 pm

I agree with Matt, pull the heads. when we did mine we were under the car for over an hour just fucking with the heat shields. Then we said fuck it lets pull the heads, and life was great after that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Drive way header install   Drive way header install I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Drive way header install
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next