Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again...

Go down 
+12
Moparcharger07
HEMI UP
HemiMag
HiPwr
Shawn1112
Dalegit1
Geteurdone
xegitalian19xx
irishrt5.7
ttruckinon
Admin
Hypnotiq
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Hypnotiq
CAMM All-Star
Hypnotiq

Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again... Empty
PostSubject: Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again...   Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again... I_icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2009, 10:13 am

I was heading to a hobby store to buy a part for my r/c truck. Talking to a buddy on the phone. I turn onto my moms driveway and hear SNAP / KLUNCK. I hang up and freak out thinking i ran something over. I put the e-brake on and get out and my fucking control arm broke at the ball joint. Now im on a uphill driveway so when they get to towing it my fender / front bumper are fucked.
two hours and three tow trucks later my car made it on the truck and i just sat in the car on the bed on the way to the shop! These tow guys i know pretty well and they felt so bad they did it free of charge and are covering my fender / bumper damage.

Here are some pics for your viewing pleasure. Let this thread be a LESSON for those who wanna ride twentys for looks / cool factor whatever you wanna call it. Its not worth it gents. I cant even afford to repair the car at this time. Im trying to find ways to make it happen as we speak. The total for the repairs is 1100.00 :crying:

I have pics from under the car but forgot my camera at home. I will post them tomorrow.

Before fender damage.
Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again... Img00226200908291444

Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again... Img00227200908291522

Fender damage...
Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again... Img00228200908291622
Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again... Img00230200908291622
Back to top Go down
Admin
Founding Member
Founding Member
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again...   Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again... I_icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2009, 10:20 am

I may be able to find you the part cheap, if you need me too.. Would be a lot cheaper to buy it and install yourself.
Back to top Go down
Hypnotiq
CAMM All-Star
Hypnotiq

PostSubject: Re: Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again...   Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again... I_icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2009, 10:29 am

yeah i think the control arm would be easy but having it towed again would be a major pain in the ass. Then ive never done cv shafts. Heres what the quote says

2 wheel alignment = 60.00
2 control arms L / R = 109.00 each.
2 CV Shafts L/ R = 119.00 each.

Totals like 1082

Labor alone is 487.15 Super Sad
Back to top Go down
Admin
Founding Member
Founding Member
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again...   Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again... I_icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2009, 10:32 am

Ah, cause they're changing out both control arms and the shafts.. I'd tell them to just replace what's broken so it's driveable, then deal with the rest yourself.

Should be a quarter of the cost that way.
Back to top Go down
ttruckinon
CAMM Pro
ttruckinon

PostSubject: Re: Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again...   Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again... I_icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2009, 10:44 am

Trust in Matt. He is our MOPAR Guru!

Sorry to hear your toy is broken but it can be fixxed.
Back to top Go down
irishrt5.7
CAMM All-Star
irishrt5.7

PostSubject: Re: Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again...   Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again... I_icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2009, 11:24 am

Damn JR that sucks bro...
Back to top Go down
xegitalian19xx
Founding Member
Founding Member
xegitalian19xx

PostSubject: Re: Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again...   Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again... I_icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2009, 11:37 am

that does suck bro...but there are a lot of people here running 20's without any problems....
Back to top Go down
Hypnotiq
CAMM All-Star
Hypnotiq

PostSubject: Re: Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again...   Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again... I_icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2009, 11:45 am

the shops saying the ball joints were completely rusted. Im sure it isnt the 20's fault but im thinking it kinda did play a factor in this.
Back to top Go down
xegitalian19xx
Founding Member
Founding Member
xegitalian19xx

PostSubject: Re: Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again...   Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again... I_icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2009, 11:49 am

Gotcha...i guess i'll have to keep an eye out for this then!
Back to top Go down
Geteurdone
CAMM Member
Geteurdone

PostSubject: Re: Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again...   Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again... I_icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2009, 12:10 pm

wow that is a bummer - hope your ride has a speedy recovery
Back to top Go down
Dalegit1
CAMM Pro
Dalegit1

PostSubject: Re: Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again...   Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again... I_icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2009, 1:06 pm

this is a bummer. hopefully, you will be back up and rolling soon. gl
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again...   Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again... I_icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2009, 1:06 pm

I dont think it was the rims bro, I have been riding 20's or bigger for the last 5-6 yrs and never had an issue!
Back to top Go down
HiPwr
HiPwr

PostSubject: Re: Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again...   Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again... I_icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2009, 1:10 pm

I'm don't know if it is an issue of the 20 inchers, or not, but a front-wheel-drive 300M is a different animal from the RWD LX platform.
Back to top Go down
HemiMag
CAMM All-Star
HemiMag

PostSubject: Re: Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again...   Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again... I_icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2009, 1:25 pm

dam bro hope you get this fix quick!!!
Back to top Go down
HEMI UP
CAMM Member
HEMI UP

PostSubject: Re: Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again...   Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again... I_icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2009, 2:02 pm

To all LX owners dude"s you live in the pot hold capital of the world the tie rod ends ball joints need to be check all most on a two month regular base's I've had to change mind a couple of times and my ride is a 06
Back to top Go down
Hypnotiq
CAMM All-Star
Hypnotiq

PostSubject: Re: Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again...   Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again... I_icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2009, 2:14 pm

I had the shop do the repairs to just be able to drive it home. I think it was just rusty ball joints that were culprit in this one. I was just trying to think of everything and had nothing to "blame" ya know? Do that make sense? Just all worked up and frustrated to keep my car in good running order and this shit happens.

In the last 6 months ive replaced the entire engine , PCM , Struts and now this.. as a grand total that's over 5600 in repairs and my trans hasn't even gone yet which my make car is notorious for.

Ahhh... thanks for listening.. ill keep everyone posted!!
Back to top Go down
HiPwr
HiPwr

PostSubject: Re: Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again...   Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again... I_icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2009, 2:55 pm

Still under warranty, I had my '02 Intrepid in for tranny work twice. First - rebuild, second - replace.
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again...   Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again... I_icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2009, 3:21 pm

HiPwr wrote:
I'm don't know if it is an issue of the 20 inchers, or not, but a front-wheel-drive 300M is a different animal from the RWD LX platform.
I had 20's on my wifes Altima for like 2yrs, and I had 22's on a Maxima for almost 2yrs and no issues. I have some friends riding 24's on a fwd cars and no issues.
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again...   Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again... I_icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2009, 3:22 pm

Hypnotiq wrote:
I had the shop do the repairs to just be able to drive it home. I think it was just rusty ball joints that were culprit in this one. I was just trying to think of everything and had nothing to "blame" ya know? Do that make sense? Just all worked up and frustrated to keep my car in good running order and this shit happens.

In the last 6 months ive replaced the entire engine , PCM , Struts and now this.. as a grand total that's over 5600 in repairs and my trans hasn't even gone yet which my make car is notorious for.

Ahhh... thanks for listening.. ill keep everyone posted!!
Good luck bro.
Back to top Go down
Moparcharger07
CAMM Member
Moparcharger07

PostSubject: Re: Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again...   Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again... I_icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2009, 5:22 pm

Sorry to hear that man, if you need the alignment, let me know, it's what I do!! I could hook it up!!
Back to top Go down
chargerchick
CAMM All-Star
chargerchick

PostSubject: Re: Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again...   Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again... I_icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2009, 8:56 pm

Oh damn. Sorry to see this. Sad
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again...   Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again... I_icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2009, 9:42 pm

that sucks man. good to hear your getting it back on the road tho.

I've had 20's on my truck for 6 years. I've only had 2 issues. i go through brakes kinda quick on the truck and i had to do both wheel bearings at 70,000mi. both front wheel bearings were SHOT. way bad, tons of play in em. i did the upper ball joints at the same time to be safe.
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

PostSubject: Re: Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again...   Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again... I_icon_minitimeSeptember 7th 2009, 12:58 am

So I was considering swapping my stock 18s for 20s in the spring. Aren't SRT8s 20 stock? DOn't understand why this would be an issue. Unless it's because many other parts are beefed up on SRT8s and can support 20s, while R/T and under can't?
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again...   Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again... I_icon_minitimeSeptember 7th 2009, 2:38 am

Iguanaman wrote:
So I was considering swapping my stock 18s for 20s in the spring. Aren't SRT8s 20 stock? DOn't understand why this would be an issue. Unless it's because many other parts are beefed up on SRT8s and can support 20s, while R/T and under can't?
Bro, go with the 20"s you will be fine. Like I said in a previous post I have been riding 20"s or bigger for a long time with no issues.
Back to top Go down
chargerchick
CAMM All-Star
chargerchick

PostSubject: Re: Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again...   Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again... I_icon_minitimeSeptember 7th 2009, 2:45 am

My car came with 20's. No issues whatsoever.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again...   Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ill NEVER run twenty's EVER again...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars :: The Garage :: Wheels and Suspension-
Jump to: