Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Getrag or Torque Converter

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
A.W.
CAMM Member
A.W.

Getrag or Torque Converter Empty
PostSubject: Getrag or Torque Converter   Getrag or Torque Converter I_icon_minitimeAugust 20th 2014, 4:53 pm

I am up in the air on what my next mod should be. As the title states, I am debating between a rear or torque converter. I have spoken with some people and it was suggested to pick up a TC and upgrade the axles to 09+ RT axles. I could still get some drag radials and be "safe" enough without breaking anything. On the other end of that I would eventually like to upgrade the rear to a Getrag, so it seems like i would be wasting a little money purchasing 09+ axles. Ultimately I am shooting for a mid to low 12 second daily driver. For those of you that have/had both, what did you do or what would you suggest? Currently don't have the funds for both.

My current mods are cam, t-stat, "cai", hi flow mids, johan tune, UD pulley.

Currently I am running consistent 13.3's @ 105-107mph on street tires (RSA's). 60' is consisten at 2.1. Best time so far is 13.1@105.
Back to top Go down
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

PostSubject: Re: Getrag or Torque Converter   Getrag or Torque Converter I_icon_minitimeAugust 20th 2014, 9:56 pm

I would do the rear first. But, a torque converter will probably net you better gains at the track. I didn't like the TC until I installed a MTCM to lock it sooner, so that's another expense you may end up with there. Also, I don't know how a TC plays into things, but you might want to look into a valve body or maybe blue tops before you get the 2-3 slip. I say rear first because, it's going to change what axles you need and also, if you go with a different ratio it'll be a little more fun around town. It's really hard to flash the converter under normal driving, kind of a track only thing. I don't know how the TC will perform with an open rear end. I have a 3.73, but now that the 3.23 is available I'd go with that and try to hold 3rd through the traps. Also, if you are going to drive in the snow, the getrag will make a difference there as well.

bill
Back to top Go down
A.W.
CAMM Member
A.W.

PostSubject: Re: Getrag or Torque Converter   Getrag or Torque Converter I_icon_minitimeAugust 21st 2014, 2:05 pm

Thanks Bill, I am actually thinking about a 3.55 Getrag. Still trying to read up on them but from what I have read, the 3.23 and 3.55 are similar in price.
Back to top Go down
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

PostSubject: Re: Getrag or Torque Converter   Getrag or Torque Converter I_icon_minitimeAugust 21st 2014, 7:08 pm

3.55 is probably a good gear. I don't know if prices have changed or not, but for a while the 3.73 were stupid expensive. I shift 100 ft or so before the stripe and it's pretty obnoxious. I don't know if 3.55 will hold 3rd, probably with a 28" tire, but maybe not the 26". You could go 3.92 and wind out 4th. I've seen a few people that were able to snag a getrag really cheap from a pick apart. Might be worth a little investigation.
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: Getrag or Torque Converter   Getrag or Torque Converter I_icon_minitimeAugust 21st 2014, 11:14 pm

i love my 3.55's. i think it is the max i would want on the highway.

i don't have a getrag though. i went wavetrac rear end, 3.55's, and 09 R/T axles/hubs.
Back to top Go down
hawksview
CAMM Member
hawksview

PostSubject: Re: Getrag or Torque Converter   Getrag or Torque Converter I_icon_minitimeAugust 28th 2014, 8:43 pm

I put a 3.55 in mine this year with the upgraded half shafts and it really woke the car up.I couldnt be happier
Back to top Go down
A.W.
CAMM Member
A.W.

PostSubject: Re: Getrag or Torque Converter   Getrag or Torque Converter I_icon_minitimeAugust 29th 2014, 12:47 pm

hawksview wrote:
I put a 3.55 in mine this year with the upgraded half shafts and it really woke the car up.I couldnt be happier

Where did you up going for your 3.55?
Back to top Go down
hawksview
CAMM Member
hawksview

PostSubject: Re: Getrag or Torque Converter   Getrag or Torque Converter I_icon_minitimeAugust 29th 2014, 2:46 pm

A.W. wrote:
hawksview wrote:

I drove out to ohio and had Erik at BFNY install it. Took him a little over 2hrs and the job was done. He does great work
Back to top Go down
A.W.
CAMM Member
A.W.

PostSubject: Re: Getrag or Torque Converter   Getrag or Torque Converter I_icon_minitimeAugust 29th 2014, 3:41 pm

That's basically what I what I wanted to know.
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Getrag or Torque Converter   Getrag or Torque Converter I_icon_minitimeAugust 30th 2014, 9:32 am

hawksview wrote:
A.W. wrote:
hawksview wrote:

I drove out to ohio and had Erik at BFNY install it. Took him a little over 2hrs and the job was done. He does great work

Ohio? MPH is in your backyard.
Back to top Go down
hawksview
CAMM Member
hawksview

PostSubject: Re: Getrag or Torque Converter   Getrag or Torque Converter I_icon_minitimeAugust 30th 2014, 2:34 pm

Illinois Chaos wrote:
hawksview wrote:
A.W. wrote:
hawksview wrote:

Ohio? MPH is in your backyard.

I contacted Tim for an estimate first at MPH. After about a month of not hearing from him he contacted me,told me I got overlooked, and asked if I still wanted an estimate. I told him yes and that was the last I ever heard from him. Honestly I have no regrets going out to BFNY for the install. Me and the wife just made a 2 day trip out of it and had a blast. I plan on heading out there again next year for some more work
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getrag or Torque Converter   Getrag or Torque Converter I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Getrag or Torque Converter
Page 1 of 1