Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Replacing Lower Ball Joints

Go down 
+3
moaugust88
Shawn1112
Greyghost9
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Greyghost9
CAMM Member
Greyghost9

Replacing Lower Ball Joints Empty
PostSubject: Replacing Lower Ball Joints   Replacing Lower Ball Joints I_icon_minitimeAugust 20th 2014, 10:25 am

So I went in for an alignment the other week and they said that my lower ball joints were shot and needed to be replaced, they then quoted me 300 per side to replace. Normally suspension work is not my specialty I refuse to pay 600 to have it fixed. My brother went to automotive school and worked in a few shops but he is just a little less lost then myself.

I have yet to find a video or forum tell me how to do it so I am reaching out here to see if anyone could help.
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Lower Ball Joints   Replacing Lower Ball Joints I_icon_minitimeAugust 20th 2014, 12:23 pm

Adam is our suspension expert. (moparcharger06)

http://www.chicagolandareamodernmopars.com/t6778-adam-is-da-man?highlight=adam
Back to top Go down
moaugust88
CAMM Pro
moaugust88

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Lower Ball Joints   Replacing Lower Ball Joints I_icon_minitimeAugust 20th 2014, 6:27 pm

Lower ball joints are in the spindles so you'll need to have them pressed out and in. Adam can help you out.
Back to top Go down
Greyghost9
CAMM Member
Greyghost9

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Lower Ball Joints   Replacing Lower Ball Joints I_icon_minitimeAugust 20th 2014, 8:58 pm

If I give you guys my number can anyone contact him to text or call me
Back to top Go down
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Lower Ball Joints   Replacing Lower Ball Joints I_icon_minitimeAugust 20th 2014, 9:46 pm

I have the miller press to do the ball joints, but don't think I have the die set. If you find the dies and want to borrow the press it's all yours. Have Adam make sure it's the lower ball joints, those don't usually seem to be the ones that go first.
bill
Back to top Go down
Greyghost9
CAMM Member
Greyghost9

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Lower Ball Joints   Replacing Lower Ball Joints I_icon_minitimeAugust 20th 2014, 10:17 pm

Yeah after just giving up and removing the entire control arm the lower ball joint was bad, lots of slack and play in it
Back to top Go down
Greyghost9
CAMM Member
Greyghost9

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Lower Ball Joints   Replacing Lower Ball Joints I_icon_minitimeAugust 20th 2014, 10:29 pm

Damn I would really love to borrow that tool, but orland park is an hour from south Barrington, where I work, and im sure it would take longer after work. Unless you work closer to my area
Back to top Go down
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Lower Ball Joints   Replacing Lower Ball Joints I_icon_minitimeAugust 20th 2014, 10:51 pm

I work in Summit, I-55 and 1st Ave. If you are going to repair it yourself you could try a local machine shop. Most would be able to press it out for you without too much of a problem.

bill
Back to top Go down
Greyghost9
CAMM Member
Greyghost9

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Lower Ball Joints   Replacing Lower Ball Joints I_icon_minitimeAugust 21st 2014, 8:06 am

Yeah, I am just going to remove that arm and have a shop press it out for me. Thanks guys.
Back to top Go down
SRTMag
CAMM Member
SRTMag

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Lower Ball Joints   Replacing Lower Ball Joints I_icon_minitimeAugust 21st 2014, 9:46 am

Greyghost9 wrote:
Yeah, I am just going to remove that arm and have a shop press it out for me.  Thanks guys.

Great idea.
Back to top Go down
Greyghost9
CAMM Member
Greyghost9

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Lower Ball Joints   Replacing Lower Ball Joints I_icon_minitimeAugust 25th 2014, 7:49 am

Has anyone noticed replacement ball joints with an offset spindle. I checked everyplace online, other then Dodge, and they all now come with this +1 -1 offset for camber on the ball joint. I went with these ball joint and no alignment shop seems to know what to make of these.
Back to top Go down
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Lower Ball Joints   Replacing Lower Ball Joints I_icon_minitimeAugust 25th 2014, 6:29 pm

I'm pretty sure you can turn the taper with an allen key to adjust it in or out before you set the taper. Once it tightened, I think you'd need to pop it back out to adjust it again? I know you already bought the offset ones, but here are some straight ones.
Moog lower balljoint

bill
Back to top Go down
Greyghost9
CAMM Member
Greyghost9

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Lower Ball Joints   Replacing Lower Ball Joints I_icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2014, 7:48 am

Thanks Funk, I wish I would have found those before I placed these offset ones in.
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Lower Ball Joints   Replacing Lower Ball Joints I_icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2014, 4:52 pm

You want adj. camber so you can remove some of that neg that is built in. Alignments are kind of bullshit without some adjustment.
Back to top Go down
Greyghost9
CAMM Member
Greyghost9

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Lower Ball Joints   Replacing Lower Ball Joints I_icon_minitimeAugust 28th 2014, 9:27 am

It seems like every shop I have taken the car to can't figure it out with the offset ball joints. I took it to a meinke and they were able to adjust the chamber but it is still toed way out and they can't seem to get it. I just need to get this damn thing aligned and not pay a fuck load for them to figure out the issue. Its driving me nuts.
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Lower Ball Joints   Replacing Lower Ball Joints I_icon_minitimeAugust 28th 2014, 11:25 am

Yeah, a lot of shops don't really understand our platforms.
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Lower Ball Joints   Replacing Lower Ball Joints I_icon_minitimeAugust 28th 2014, 11:32 am

This: http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php/198325-LX-RWD-Lower-Ball-Joint-Replacement

search is your friend.
Back to top Go down
Greyghost9
CAMM Member
Greyghost9

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Lower Ball Joints   Replacing Lower Ball Joints I_icon_minitimeAugust 28th 2014, 3:10 pm

Yeah that is very close to how mine came apart, I used that as a guide step wise to make sure everything went in and back together correctly.
Back to top Go down
firestartr420
CAMM All-Star
firestartr420

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Lower Ball Joints   Replacing Lower Ball Joints I_icon_minitimeAugust 28th 2014, 5:13 pm

take it to adam..... he'll align it up for ya.....
Back to top Go down
Greyghost9
CAMM Member
Greyghost9

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Lower Ball Joints   Replacing Lower Ball Joints I_icon_minitimeAugust 29th 2014, 7:46 am

I have been trying to talk to him and he hasn't been responsive, it's the summer and all so I don't blame him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Lower Ball Joints   Replacing Lower Ball Joints I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Replacing Lower Ball Joints
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars :: The Garage :: Wheels and Suspension-
Jump to: