Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Winter Wheels/Tires

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
A.W.
CAMM Member
A.W.

Winter Wheels/Tires Empty
PostSubject: Winter Wheels/Tires   Winter Wheels/Tires I_icon_minitimeJuly 20th 2014, 1:48 pm

I know it's still a early but figured I would get a jump on things. Do you all have a preference for winter tire? I see some people use a 20" winter tire and some people use a 18" wheel and winter tire. Are there pro's and con's? When I had my RT I just threw 140lbs of sand in the back and powered through the winters with zero problems (along with all season tires).

Also, do you all think $875 plus shipping (from Detroit, MI) is a good deal for 18" wheels, TPMS, Blizzaks? Says the tires have 8/32 on the outer and 7/32 on the inner. Would I be better off buying a new package?
Back to top Go down
moparmarc
CAMM Pro
moparmarc

PostSubject: Re: Winter Wheels/Tires   Winter Wheels/Tires I_icon_minitimeJuly 20th 2014, 11:46 pm

doesn't sound crazy for a full set, but shipping would be $$$nuts, they seem little worn.

I have 2 barley used, brand new 18" snow tires for sale. They currently are studded but those can be removed.
I also have 2 steely wheels. I got them for my charger but my charger wont see snow so I wont need anymore. $400
Back to top Go down
A.W.
CAMM Member
A.W.

PostSubject: Re: Winter Wheels/Tires   Winter Wheels/Tires I_icon_minitimeJuly 21st 2014, 6:25 pm

Would these fit an SRT? Also I heard it was best to run all 4 winter tires vs 2?
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: Winter Wheels/Tires   Winter Wheels/Tires I_icon_minitimeJuly 21st 2014, 8:36 pm

i would always run 4. why be able to go if you can't brake or turn?

18's would be better for winter as most of them are skinnier and skinnier is better for winter (to a point) 225 or 235 are ideal widths for our cars for winter. wider tires slide and stay on top of the snow more. that being said any true winter tire will be hands down better than any all season in in the winter even when it is nice out. the tires are a softer compound and grip better under 45 degrees even when it is sunny and dry. i personally will never run an all season in the winter again after being on winter tires the last 6 years on my cars.

20 inch winter tire pros...
-you don't have to buy another set of wheels.
-you keep that 20 inch look all year round.
-better handling when it is dry out.

20 inch winter tire cons...
-you have to pay to mount and dismount tires each year.
-you can't just bolt up the winter set at home since you have to do that mount and dismount

18 inch pros
-cheaper snow tires (about half the price)
-skinnier tire cuts through snow better
-don't get your summer wheels messed up in the salt
-your summer tires last longer since they sit on the shelf half the year
-you can bolt them up at home if you want if it is a second set of wheels/tires
-you don't have to pay to have them re mounted every season since you aren't using them on your summer wheels.

18 inch cons
-have to buy a second set of wheels.
-don't look as cool.

Last edited by jontoad on July 22nd 2014, 1:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BigM
CAMM Pro
BigM

PostSubject: Re: Winter Wheels/Tires   Winter Wheels/Tires I_icon_minitimeJuly 21st 2014, 10:19 pm

I'm running Michelin XICE Xi3 in a 225/60/18 on my stock 18s and they're just outstanding in the snow, slush, ice and cold. Like Jontoad said, even out of the snow they are much better in the cold weather and stay soft and squishy even when it is sub zero.

This was my first season in snow tires and I'll never go back, night and day difference the snow, cold and ice barely phase the car and it is a huge safety advantage.

I'd say get some of the 18 inchers that fit the SRT and keep your summer set clean.

You'll gain advantage in the warmer weather too by getting to run a true summer tire.
Back to top Go down
A.W.
CAMM Member
A.W.

PostSubject: Re: Winter Wheels/Tires   Winter Wheels/Tires I_icon_minitimeJuly 21st 2014, 10:44 pm

GREAT INFORMATION! Well the search is on for winter tire and wheels.
Back to top Go down
ChicagoSRT8
CAMM Member
ChicagoSRT8

PostSubject: Re: Winter Wheels/Tires   Winter Wheels/Tires I_icon_minitimeJuly 27th 2014, 10:35 am

late to the game. A.W. your pm.

And yes if getting winter tires you need all 4!!!! Ask me how I know!! lol
It's either no traction, or no steering. you decide. Wouldn't ever try it again. No 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Winter Wheels/Tires   Winter Wheels/Tires I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Winter Wheels/Tires
Page 1 of 1