Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Illinois Window Tinting Law

Go down 
+3
HiPwr
funkpolice
Tint To U Guy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Tint To U Guy
CAMM Member

Illinois Window Tinting Law Empty
PostSubject: Illinois Window Tinting Law   Illinois Window Tinting Law I_icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2014, 3:11 pm

I have been asked about the new tinting law that took effect the end of October 09'. There is many misconceptions on what is or is not legal.

Let me give you a brief overview for those that are not sure of the tint shades. Most film manufacturers classify their films by the amount of light that is allowed thru the films. For example, a 5% "Limo" tint keeps out 95% of the light. Generally, the smaller the number, the darker the film. The most common film "shades" are as follows: 50%, 35%, 30%, 20%, 15%. AND 5%.

Next, understand that the "clear glass" in all of our vehicles (those without the privacy glass) does actually have some "tint" in the glass. In undrestanding the new law, you must factor in this slight tint of the glass along with the tinted film to get a total darkness or tint level. For example, a 35% film PLUS the "tinted glass" actually equals 30% overall darkness when measured with a glass meter.

Unlike the old Illinois law that allowed any darkness behind the front doors but allowed for no film on the front drivers and passenger door glass, the new Illinois Tinting law, allows film on the front doors with limits.

NEW TINTING LAW IS AS FOLLOWS:
Option #1: 30% net darkness on all the vehicles windows, except the windshield. Using the above explanation, you must use a film, along with the "tint of the glass" that is no darker than 30%. Typically, most window film manufacturer's 35% films met this criteria.

Option #2: If you want to go a little darker on back doors and back glass, you may go up to a 25% net darkness on the rear doors, quarter glass and back windshield; however, then the front driver and passenger doors may only be filmed to a 45% total film darkness. Typically, most window film manufacturer's 30% films meet the rear criteria, along with 50% for the front doors.

Option#3: Is the old law, darker than 25% on the rear windows, nothing is allowed on the front drivers and passenger front doors.

Option#4: If you have a truck, SUV or mini-van that has factory tinted privacy glass, you may use a 50% (45% total darkness) on the front doors.

I hope this helps you to understand this new law.
Back to top Go down
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

PostSubject: Re: Illinois Window Tinting Law   Illinois Window Tinting Law I_icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2014, 10:56 pm

does that apply in the city of Chicago too? I've wanted to tint my windows for a few years, but I don't want to deal with another hassle parked in the city. no front plate is already pushing it.

bill
Back to top Go down
Tint To U Guy
CAMM Member

PostSubject: Re: Illinois Window Tinting Law   Illinois Window Tinting Law I_icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2014, 11:59 pm

Bill,
The city of Chicago has an ordinance against the state law saying they dont allow film on front doors but a couple months ago the state added a paragraph onto the law ,which is very hard to understand, that Jeff and I believe states that the city has to obey the state laws. Meaning you CAN now het your front doors tinted..although we have not heard back from the people we've contacted to straighten out if thats true.

As soon as we find out for sure I will post it!

Joe.
Back to top Go down
HiPwr
HiPwr

PostSubject: Re: Illinois Window Tinting Law   Illinois Window Tinting Law I_icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2014, 12:27 pm

Wow, Chicago has to follow state law and not make up their own shit. Go figure.
Back to top Go down
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

PostSubject: Re: Illinois Window Tinting Law   Illinois Window Tinting Law I_icon_minitimeFebruary 25th 2014, 5:52 pm

any word as to whether or not Chicago is going to allow tint?
bill
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Illinois Window Tinting Law   Illinois Window Tinting Law I_icon_minitimeFebruary 25th 2014, 6:17 pm

HiPwr wrote:
Wow, Chicago has to follow state law and not make up their own shit.  Go figure.
Chicago is their own fucking state and they do whatever the fuck makes them the most money! Bill I'm in the city all the time so I can shed some light on this. I have never been pulled over or bothered for my tints and I have been rite next to a cop quite a few times. But, I do know the parking cunts will give u a ticket for tints if parked on the street. U have to contest ticket, take day off work to go back to city for a hearing.
Back to top Go down
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

PostSubject: Re: Illinois Window Tinting Law   Illinois Window Tinting Law I_icon_minitimeFebruary 25th 2014, 6:34 pm

and I've heard that the people contesting are losing. At least last year. Nobody I know personally, but stories I've heard. Driving around in the city is no problem, you can do whatever you want, I'm worried about parked on the street.

bill
Back to top Go down
Moparcharger07
CAMM Member
Moparcharger07

PostSubject: Re: Illinois Window Tinting Law   Illinois Window Tinting Law I_icon_minitimeFebruary 25th 2014, 7:53 pm

I had 35 on all the doors and 20 on the rear window on my old Charger, never got hassled or anything like that. It looked legal from the side, but looking from the front it had a darker look to it verses the 35 all around. It was a nice contrast.
Back to top Go down
blackhemi
CAMM Pro
blackhemi

PostSubject: Re: Illinois Window Tinting Law   Illinois Window Tinting Law I_icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2014, 12:37 am

Contested two tinted window tickets in chicago thru the mail. With both of them being tossed.
Back to top Go down
moparmarc
CAMM Pro
moparmarc

PostSubject: Re: Illinois Window Tinting Law   Illinois Window Tinting Law I_icon_minitimeMarch 3rd 2014, 2:49 pm

I heard as long as your rear isn't tinted the sides are ok?

Id love to match my rear with the sides though.
Back to top Go down
Tint To U Guy
CAMM Member

PostSubject: Re: Illinois Window Tinting Law   Illinois Window Tinting Law I_icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2014, 1:52 pm

As of now Chicago will ticket if any film is on your front doors ( Only if your car is registered to city). If your car isn't registered to the city of Chicago and you get a ticket fight the ticket because technically you're legal.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Illinois Window Tinting Law   Illinois Window Tinting Law I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Illinois Window Tinting Law
Page 1 of 1