Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Custom Painting

Go down 
+9
firestartr420
eviltrycycle
DaCham65
JBBCharger
Yuro
GSB06SRT
Shawn1112
kermit
392SRT8
13 posters
AuthorMessage
392SRT8
CAMM Member
392SRT8

Custom Painting Empty
PostSubject: Custom Painting   Custom Painting I_icon_minitimeDecember 13th 2013, 7:15 pm

So I got my stuff from 3g's big sale and now I need to get it painted. Do any of you recommend a place that paints these?

What kind of places should I be looking for in general? I don't even know where to start to find someone to paint this stuff.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
kermit
CAMM Pro
kermit

Custom Painting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Painting   Custom Painting I_icon_minitimeDecember 13th 2013, 8:30 pm

Do you want it just painted, or are you talking about having it airbrushed?
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

Custom Painting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Painting   Custom Painting I_icon_minitimeDecember 13th 2013, 8:38 pm

kermit wrote:
He would have to get a base coat sprayed before any airbrushing if thats the route he wants to go. I'm pretty sure his stuff came in a raw metal.
Back to top Go down
kermit
CAMM Pro
kermit

Custom Painting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Painting   Custom Painting I_icon_minitimeDecember 13th 2013, 8:52 pm

Shawn1112 wrote:
kermit wrote:
He would have to get a base coat sprayed before any airbrushing if thats the route he wants to go. I'm pretty sure his stuff came in a raw metal.

A shop that does airbrush work would take care of that as part of the job as well.  The big question is DIY or Professional.  If he just wants to paint it and no art on it, it's not that hard to DIY with some practice and will save a lot of money.  If he wants some artwork on it then he needs a good shop.  I've used Psychotic Air for my work.  They did some airbrushing for me as well a general painting, and I've steered a few others their way and everyone's been happy with Mark's work.
Back to top Go down
392SRT8
CAMM Member
392SRT8

Custom Painting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Painting   Custom Painting I_icon_minitimeDecember 13th 2013, 9:01 pm

Thanks for the input, I am just looking to get paint to match my half covers. Should be a pretty simple job that I have no intention of doing myself Smile

Batavia isn't too far, I will check them out. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
GSB06SRT
CAMM Pro
GSB06SRT

Custom Painting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Painting   Custom Painting I_icon_minitimeDecember 13th 2013, 9:05 pm

My go to shop is E & T Auto Body in Cal City, phone number is (708) 868-4005 ask for Laurie tell her you were referred by Gerry with the black Charger SRT8, you may have to mention I brought in my rear and front fascia and not the whole car, lol, they do pretty good work at a fair price.
Back to top Go down
Yuro
CAMM Pro
Yuro

Custom Painting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Painting   Custom Painting I_icon_minitimeDecember 13th 2013, 10:07 pm

If u decide to hit Psych Air even for an estimate lemme know, i work right behind them, across the street, the big warehouse there, fun to get a shot or two of the noble steeds together Smile i get out at 310 pm mon-fri just lemme know!
Back to top Go down
JBBCharger
CAMM Member
JBBCharger

Custom Painting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Painting   Custom Painting I_icon_minitimeDecember 19th 2013, 3:41 pm

Advanced Automotive in Batavia can do this, too. They painted my VFN hood, base color and simple graphics, and did a great job. Psych Air did some pin stripping for me later, also good work but expensive.
Back to top Go down
DaCham65
CAMM Rookie
DaCham65

Custom Painting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Painting   Custom Painting I_icon_minitimeMarch 12th 2014, 10:20 am

If any member have tips for some basic DIY engine area painting please let me know. I plan to paint the Radiator fuild holding tank a Daytona Blue color. I have the primer, paint and clearcoat, but wanted to know the best way, or any tips to ensure it comes out perfect.
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

Custom Painting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Painting   Custom Painting I_icon_minitimeMarch 12th 2014, 12:04 pm

Its not easy, and takes patience. Adam 'Moparcharger" would be the one to ask.
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

Custom Painting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Painting   Custom Painting I_icon_minitimeMarch 12th 2014, 12:31 pm

Second what Shawn said, Adam did mine and it looks amazing.
Back to top Go down
firestartr420
CAMM All-Star
firestartr420

Custom Painting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Painting   Custom Painting I_icon_minitimeMarch 12th 2014, 4:30 pm

you'll need to scuff up the tank with some sandpaper before you spray with the primer, to give the primer something to bite in to, and spray in light coats for hiding the primer and then with a final heavy coat at the end. Make sure you clean the oils and grease off the tank really well before hand as well.
Back to top Go down
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

Custom Painting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Painting   Custom Painting I_icon_minitimeMarch 12th 2014, 4:42 pm

practice on something else first. I found I got the best results when I put the clear on way heavier than I thought I should, but of course too much and it'll run.

bill
Back to top Go down
Moparcharger07
CAMM Member
Moparcharger07

Custom Painting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Painting   Custom Painting I_icon_minitimeMarch 12th 2014, 6:36 pm

Here's how I do it, it's all in the prep...

Clean the piece you are gonna paint real good, lightly sand it as well.....I lay the primer down, like normal, maybe even lightly sand the primer a little so it's nice and even without any orange peel, to shape or "flatten" anything you're painting, just not at all or VERY lightly on any edges. Then clean it real good, for the color. When I spray the color, I lay it down nice and good, mostly I do two coats. The first coat I let cure, depends on the weather, if it's hot out I let it sit in the sun for a couple hours and it's usually fine, if it's cold out more than likely over night. After the first color coat dries I do wet sand it with like a 1000 or 1200 grit paper if needed LIGHTLY, if the first color coat looks fine then just lay another coat down. Same applies for the second color coat, I ALWAYS wet sand the second color coat so it's perfectly smooth and how I want it to look...smooth. I use a 1000 or 1200..... When laying clear there is a fine line to "walk" when laying it... you have to go heavy without it running. I always end up laying 2-3 coats of clear in total. But the first coat I go semi-heavy, enough to cover it all. After it cures same thing, I wet sand it lightly, cause you dont wanna break through the clear, I never buff in between any wet sanding at all, color or clear. But after I wet sand it, clean and all that stuff. And spray it again, same applies, kinda heavy but not really, same thing, I wet sand it pretty good this time to a nice even look without anything I would want to show, here's the part that get tricky, on the last coat of clear you gotta go heavy but not run the clear, thats the "fine line to walk". Gets tricky, but I'd say if you're good with paint, you will know. But I lay it down to how I want it to look in the end, just lay it down and let it cure, usually overnight. As long as there isnt any dirt or anything on the last coat of clear, you should be fine. I've never had to wet sand and buff after I'm done painting, none of my stuff has been buffed after I'm done painting, as long as it's prepped good, and the clear is layed down right, there should be no need. Like all my underhood stuff and the coolant tanks I've painted, no buff in the end. I mean IF you need or want to buff, I would use the 1200 to wet sand after clear, and use a final stage buffing compound or like a "swirl & scratch remover", then a wax and it usually turns out good.

Back to top Go down
DaCham65
CAMM Rookie
DaCham65

Custom Painting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Painting   Custom Painting I_icon_minitimeMarch 13th 2014, 6:22 am

Moparcharger07 wrote:
Here's how I do it, it's all in the prep...

Clean the piece you are gonna paint real good, lightly sand it as well.....I lay the primer down, like normal, maybe even lightly sand the primer a little so it's nice and even without any orange peel, to shape or "flatten" anything you're painting, just not at all or VERY lightly on any edges. Then clean it real good, for the color. When I spray the color, I lay it down nice and good, mostly I do two coats. The first coat I let cure, depends on the weather, if it's hot out I let it sit in the sun for a couple hours and it's usually fine, if it's cold out more than likely over night. After the first color coat dries I do wet sand it with like a 1000 or 1200 grit paper if needed LIGHTLY, if the first color coat looks fine then just lay another coat down. Same applies for the second color coat, I ALWAYS wet sand the second color coat so it's perfectly smooth and how I want it to look...smooth. I use a 1000 or 1200..... When laying clear there is a fine line to "walk" when laying it... you have to go heavy without it running. I always end up laying 2-3 coats of clear in total. But the first coat I go semi-heavy, enough to cover it all. After it cures same thing, I wet sand it lightly, cause you dont wanna break through the clear, I never buff in between any wet sanding at all, color or clear. But after I wet sand it, clean and all that stuff. And spray it again, same applies, kinda heavy but not really, same thing, I wet sand it pretty good this time to a nice even look without anything I would want to show, here's the part that get tricky, on the last coat of clear you gotta go heavy but not run the clear, thats the "fine line to walk". Gets tricky, but I'd say if you're good with paint, you will know. But I lay it down to how I want it to look in the end, just lay it down and let it cure, usually overnight. As long as there isnt any dirt or anything on the last coat of clear, you should be fine. I've never had to wet sand and buff after I'm done painting, none of my stuff has been buffed after I'm done painting, as long as it's prepped good, and the clear is layed down right, there should be no need. Like all my underhood stuff and the coolant tanks I've painted, no buff in the end. I mean IF you need or want to buff, I would use the 1200 to wet sand after clear, and use a final stage buffing compound or like a "swirl & scratch remover", then a wax and it usually turns out good.

Adam, Perfect, exactly what I was looking for, thank you for the great instructions. I will deffinatly use these for my upcoming painting. Thanks again!!
Back to top Go down
392SRT8
CAMM Member
392SRT8

Custom Painting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Painting   Custom Painting I_icon_minitimeMarch 13th 2014, 11:03 pm

i finally got in touch with Psychotic Air, hopefully will have time to head over there soon and get my stuff painted.
Back to top Go down
DaCham65
CAMM Rookie
DaCham65

Custom Painting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Painting   Custom Painting I_icon_minitimeApril 14th 2014, 2:06 pm

Adam,

Again thanks for your tips and tricks for painting the coolant tank, followed to the letter, and it came out pretty good (I know a few small flaws, but it came out really well.)

Custom Painting Engine2_zpsabd55230
Back to top Go down
jamesv82
jamesv82

Custom Painting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Painting   Custom Painting I_icon_minitimeApril 14th 2014, 5:43 pm

the color def pops, congrats
Back to top Go down
Dre
CAMM Member
Dre

Custom Painting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Painting   Custom Painting I_icon_minitimeApril 15th 2014, 7:00 am

Look good! great job!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Custom Painting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Painting   Custom Painting I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Custom Painting
Page 1 of 1