Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Timing Chain Failure

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Burntclutches
CAMM Member
Burntclutches

Timing Chain Failure Empty
PostSubject: Timing Chain Failure   Timing Chain Failure I_icon_minitimeOctober 11th 2013, 2:55 pm

Hi All,

I'm one of your extended members that lives in FL. I just wanted to update all 5.7 Auto / 2009 - to early 2011 Challenger owners (and some 300, Charger and truck owners) that a real issue exists with your timing VVT / MDS systems.

I was driving home last Friday at 70mph - 1900rpm and BAM! nothing luckily I wasn't in rush hour traffic when the car died Crying or Very sad  After a fiasco waiting on the Tow truck for almost 3hrs in the freaking hot ass sun on the side of the interstate, I got it home and thought I had a fuel pump problem - nope. Used my Diablo and pulled codes - P0340 CAM sensor, so I pulled the sensor could see the chain and could move it up and down with my freaking finger - restart engine and crank moves but not the cam or timing chain. Of course I have the 100K warranty called the local dealership and thanks to Challenger talk was able to see this has happened to others and one of Chrysler's rep made his email available and wanted to be informed about any issues. I sent a very professional email and within 28minutes had a call back from Chrys Corp! While that was certainly a surprise of course I was still upset about the issue - my car is bone freaking stock! Roadside picked it up and they called the dealership doing the repair and told them they would cover the costs and to overnight all the replacement parts. Monday I get a call and they are taking it apart the damage was:
Timing Chain
Guide
Tensioner
3intake valves
3exhaust valves
2push rods
and the #2 Piston

I usually would never ever dream of even driving a car after such a repair but it appears to be ok and the VVT/MDS engagement is much smoother - of course some programming was involved as I asked about that as well.

So I want to thank Crystal for being my sounding board and listening to me go off the chain and lose my mind for a short period of time Smile Love you!

Please don't think I'm bashing Ma MOPAR but I think you guy's should be aware it is a real issue. Sorry so long and I'll post drunk next time, it'll probably be much more entertaining.

Scott
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

PostSubject: Re: Timing Chain Failure   Timing Chain Failure I_icon_minitimeOctober 11th 2013, 3:29 pm

I will be more then happy to test the car out when I'm back in two weeks. Smile

Glad it feels normal homie. You need to share the tow truck story in another post. Wink
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: Timing Chain Failure   Timing Chain Failure I_icon_minitimeOctober 11th 2013, 9:19 pm

that sucks, but it's is awesome that they helped you out so fast.
Back to top Go down
GSB06SRT
CAMM Pro
GSB06SRT

PostSubject: Re: Timing Chain Failure   Timing Chain Failure I_icon_minitimeOctober 11th 2013, 11:05 pm

Surprised they didn't just pull the engine and put i a new one, that's a lot of damage.
Back to top Go down
Burntclutches
CAMM Member
Burntclutches

PostSubject: Re: Timing Chain Failure   Timing Chain Failure I_icon_minitimeOctober 14th 2013, 5:15 pm

They will not spend one cent more than required under warranty, I was hoping the same thing but after being a tech for 7yrs I knew they wouldn't.   Had it back almost a week and still running fine; however, I've been spending time in my fun car with the slicks and the cooler air temps so I've been in a good mood.

Crystal, I'll tell the story when I don't get pissed every time I try to type it LOL geek 
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

PostSubject: Re: Timing Chain Failure   Timing Chain Failure I_icon_minitimeOctober 14th 2013, 6:02 pm

So since your driving the Firebird I'm just going to expect the Challenger to be waiting on me at the airport. Wink
Back to top Go down
Burntclutches
CAMM Member
Burntclutches

PostSubject: Re: Timing Chain Failure   Timing Chain Failure I_icon_minitimeOctober 15th 2013, 7:26 am

eviltrycycle wrote:
So since your driving the Firebird I'm just going to expect the Challenger to be waiting on me at the airport.   Wink
Wink if it wasn't so expensive to drive the T/A I'd be happy to do that for you!
Back to top Go down
firestartr420
CAMM All-Star
firestartr420

PostSubject: Re: Timing Chain Failure   Timing Chain Failure I_icon_minitimeOctober 15th 2013, 9:33 am

now you've got me all worried about this noise i'm hearing under the hood. Sounds like lifters or valves chattering when slowly moving at like 25mph with MDS/VVT engaged....
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

PostSubject: Re: Timing Chain Failure   Timing Chain Failure I_icon_minitimeOctober 15th 2013, 11:58 am

I can smack him for you Tom, because its clearly Scotties fault.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Burntclutches
CAMM Member
Burntclutches

PostSubject: Re: Timing Chain Failure   Timing Chain Failure I_icon_minitimeOctober 15th 2013, 2:27 pm

firestartr420 wrote:
now you've got me all worried about this noise i'm hearing under the hood.  Sounds like lifters or valves chattering when slowly moving at like 25mph with MDS/VVT engaged....
My issue was silent! No warning other than a lazy engagement coming out of MDS on the interstate. Sorry I created some fear but it's better to be informed rather than wondering what the hell just happened! If your vehicle is a late 2011 or newer you should have all the new parts and I can't tell by your sig but it has only affected 5.7 with Auto, MDS and VVT.
Back to top Go down
Burntclutches
CAMM Member
Burntclutches

PostSubject: Re: Timing Chain Failure   Timing Chain Failure I_icon_minitimeOctober 15th 2013, 2:28 pm

eviltrycycle wrote:
I can smack him for you Tom, because its clearly Scotties fault.  

Very Happy
You are way to close to my wife - that sounds just like her LOLOLOL.affraid 
Back to top Go down
firestartr420
CAMM All-Star
firestartr420

PostSubject: Re: Timing Chain Failure   Timing Chain Failure I_icon_minitimeOctober 15th 2013, 3:10 pm

ive got one of the early 11's with the 5.7...
Back to top Go down
Burntclutches
CAMM Member
Burntclutches

PostSubject: Re: Timing Chain Failure   Timing Chain Failure I_icon_minitimeOctober 15th 2013, 4:15 pm

firestartr420 wrote:
ive got one of the early 11's with the 5.7...
If it makes you feel a bit more secure the failures have been primarily on Challengers.

The "valve" noise you spoke of earlier is common and I've heard it on most MDS VVT 5.7 vehicles, it's the noise you aren't hearing that got me.
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

PostSubject: Re: Timing Chain Failure   Timing Chain Failure I_icon_minitimeOctober 15th 2013, 4:49 pm

It was silent but deadly....

I'm here all week folks tip you waitresses.
Back to top Go down
Burntclutches
CAMM Member
Burntclutches

PostSubject: Re: Timing Chain Failure   Timing Chain Failure I_icon_minitimeOctober 16th 2013, 5:31 pm

LMAO! hahahhaha
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Timing Chain Failure   Timing Chain Failure I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Timing Chain Failure
Page 1 of 1