Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Timing Chain replacement

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

Timing Chain replacement Empty
PostSubject: Timing Chain replacement   Timing Chain replacement I_icon_minitimeAugust 16th 2009, 12:41 pm

I read on LX forums that a guy had his timing chain go out at 50k miles and he would recommend having it replaced if your engine is close to his in miles. Well mine is at 51k miles and I was thinking it would be better to be safe than sorry. Does anybody know how hard it is to change the timing chain and how much the chain actually costs? Or should I just leave it until it breaks? I know we dont have interference motors so im not worried about busting up my valves or pistons if the chain goes but I just didnt want to get stuck on the side of the road.
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Timing Chain replacement   Timing Chain replacement I_icon_minitimeAugust 16th 2009, 1:55 pm

Matt?????
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Timing Chain replacement   Timing Chain replacement I_icon_minitimeAugust 16th 2009, 1:58 pm

Shawn1112 wrote:
Matt?????

Lol thats who I was hoping would pop up in here. I know if I get heads and cam installed I might as well put a new timing chain in just for peace of mind. But im just curious if it is worth taking the front of the engine off to replace it just for prevented maintenance.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Founding Member
Founding Member
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Timing Chain replacement   Timing Chain replacement I_icon_minitimeAugust 16th 2009, 4:29 pm

80K is the magic number...

It's the tensioner that goes bad. Seen it on cars that use conventional oil and do a lot of hard driving.

It's maybe a 4 hour job for a first timer.. Hardest part will be making sure the timing is right, really... Not a hard job, but not simple.

Timing kits cost me about $100, I think they retain for $125 at the dealer.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Timing Chain replacement   Timing Chain replacement I_icon_minitimeAugust 16th 2009, 4:38 pm

elcobra44 wrote:
80K is the magic number...

It's the tensioner that goes bad. Seen it on cars that use conventional oil and do a lot of hard driving.

It's maybe a 4 hour job for a first timer.. Hardest part will be making sure the timing is right, really... Not a hard job, but not simple.

Timing kits cost me about $100, I think they retain for $125 at the dealer.

Cool thanks for the info. I am hoping to get heads/cam next summer if all goes well and I will replace the timing chain at the same time.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Founding Member
Founding Member
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Timing Chain replacement   Timing Chain replacement I_icon_minitimeAugust 18th 2009, 12:57 am

If anyone is interested in having this done.. I can do it for $200, including the timing kit.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Timing Chain replacement   Timing Chain replacement I_icon_minitimeAugust 18th 2009, 6:30 am

elcobra44 wrote:
If anyone is interested in having this done.. I can do it for $200, including the timing kit.

Thats not bad at all. Even if I dont get the heads and cam next summer, i might have you change my timing chain just for peace of mind.
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Timing Chain replacement   Timing Chain replacement I_icon_minitimeSeptember 8th 2009, 6:50 am

elcobra44 wrote:

Hey Matt, Does the t-chain kit come with the thrust bearing too?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Founding Member
Founding Member
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Timing Chain replacement   Timing Chain replacement I_icon_minitimeSeptember 8th 2009, 9:42 am

Illinois Chaos wrote:
elcobra44 wrote:

Hey Matt, Does the t-chain kit come with the thrust bearing too?
If you mean the tensioner plate, yes..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Timing Chain replacement   Timing Chain replacement I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Timing Chain replacement
Page 1 of 1