Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tension strut? Help!!

Go down 
+2
Shawn1112
Davey5040
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Davey5040
CAMM Member
Davey5040

Tension strut? Help!! Empty
PostSubject: Tension strut? Help!!   Tension strut? Help!! I_icon_minitimeAugust 6th 2013, 7:51 pm

Hey guys, So im pretty sure ive narrowed my issue down to a drivers side tension strut causing my clunk, however, i have never done one of these and am wondering if anyone would be willing to help diagnose and or install this thing with me. I just want to be sure that this is the issue. And i really dont want my car being stuck on jack stands because i cant get it either apart or back together! So if theres anyone out there... please help, im in west chicago but willing to travel anywhere in chicago. name your price!
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Tension strut? Help!!   Tension strut? Help!! I_icon_minitimeAugust 6th 2013, 8:12 pm

Come by the mod night Sat, Im in Streamwood. Sure we can knock it out, if I was you I would replace both sides if not that expensive
Sent you a pm
Back to top Go down
Davey5040
CAMM Member
Davey5040

PostSubject: Re: Tension strut? Help!!   Tension strut? Help!! I_icon_minitimeAugust 6th 2013, 8:16 pm

AH! you are the man!! Any idea where i can buy them and which one it should be? I know the true "tension strut" is the control arm closest to the rear of the car. The front one is considered not to be the one.. am i right? that probably sounds retarded but if im looking at my front wheel its the lower rear arm, maybe a better description lol. hopefully this will solve that damn clunk. If i can find a pair ill do them.
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Tension strut? Help!!   Tension strut? Help!! I_icon_minitimeAugust 6th 2013, 8:26 pm

Adam (Moparcharger06) or Jontoad would be able to answer that. I replaced all that shit on my Charger in my garage. I would say Car Quest and get Moog parts if available.
Back to top Go down
Davey5040
CAMM Member
Davey5040

PostSubject: Re: Tension strut? Help!!   Tension strut? Help!! I_icon_minitimeAugust 6th 2013, 8:28 pm

i wish i was able to PM them lol, the forum wont let me... ill do my best to look for it.
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Tension strut? Help!!   Tension strut? Help!! I_icon_minitimeAugust 6th 2013, 8:33 pm

They will chime in when they see this
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

PostSubject: Re: Tension strut? Help!!   Tension strut? Help!! I_icon_minitimeAugust 6th 2013, 9:13 pm

3 more posts and you can PM.
Back to top Go down
Davey5040
CAMM Member
Davey5040

PostSubject: Re: Tension strut? Help!!   Tension strut? Help!! I_icon_minitimeAugust 6th 2013, 9:16 pm

fantatstic, thank you!
Back to top Go down
Moparcharger07
CAMM Member
Moparcharger07

PostSubject: Re: Tension strut? Help!!   Tension strut? Help!! I_icon_minitimeAugust 6th 2013, 9:33 pm

The arm that goes to the most forward mount is the lower tension strut. The other arm is just considered a lower control arm, I've seen a couple things make noise like that (a clunk or rattle or even sounds like the front end is gonna fall apart over bumps).... those things are the lower tension strut, the sway bar bushings, and in a case or two the sway bar links.

My bet is that its either the tension struts, or the sway bar bushings. Those are the two most common issues I've seen ALOT lately
Back to top Go down
Davey5040
CAMM Member
Davey5040

PostSubject: Re: Tension strut? Help!!   Tension strut? Help!! I_icon_minitimeAugust 6th 2013, 9:39 pm

Awesome man thanks for the advice, I had planned on replacing the end links at one time this winter until i took it the wheel off and really gave them some hard tugs and they were stiff as hell and actually looked pretty new (bought the car used), so i replaced the outer tie rod end instead, still clunking lol. So i pray to god that this is the damn problem. If not, my typical solution (being a tank commander in the Army) would be to beat the living shit out of it with a sledgehammer haha, but ill try to remain calm! any idea where i can pick one up? and if so, what name i should have them look for it under considering most of these auto parts clerks have no idea what a tension strut is? id order online but as you can see im on a saturday time crunch!
Back to top Go down
GSB06SRT
CAMM Pro
GSB06SRT

PostSubject: Re: Tension strut? Help!!   Tension strut? Help!! I_icon_minitimeAugust 6th 2013, 9:50 pm

Part no 5290828AB check ebay, Rock Auto, there everywhere out there.
Back to top Go down
Davey5040
CAMM Member
Davey5040

PostSubject: Re: Tension strut? Help!!   Tension strut? Help!! I_icon_minitimeAugust 6th 2013, 9:52 pm

i did find them on there, and i totally wish i could buy it there considering its much cheaper, but i gotta have it by saturday afternoon and we all know how much we can trust the damn snail mail haha
Back to top Go down
Moparcharger07
CAMM Member
Moparcharger07

PostSubject: Re: Tension strut? Help!!   Tension strut? Help!! I_icon_minitimeAugust 7th 2013, 6:21 pm

I'd either ask for lower tension struts OR lower control arm. Just know what they look like and you can look when you go to buy em. Carquest usually has them in stock from what I've seen, OR a big Napa as well
Back to top Go down
Yuro
CAMM Pro
Yuro

PostSubject: Re: Tension strut? Help!!   Tension strut? Help!! I_icon_minitimeAugust 7th 2013, 6:48 pm

Go to the autoparts store, if they dont have it, it usually comes in one day if u ask them to special order before 12 oclock.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tension strut? Help!!   Tension strut? Help!! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tension strut? Help!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars :: The Garage :: Wheels and Suspension-
Jump to: