Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Odd place for oil...

Go down 
+5
Shawn1112
irishrt5.7
Razor
jlg1963
firestartr420
9 posters
AuthorMessage
firestartr420
CAMM All-Star
firestartr420

Odd place for oil... Empty
PostSubject: Odd place for oil...   Odd place for oil... I_icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2012, 4:25 pm

so, i was messing around with the car today, opened up the air filter box to take a look at the filter, and I noticed there's evidence of oil on the filter itself, and there was a small amount of oil inside the bottom of the air cleaner box... I noticed what looked like a very small amount of oil inside the TB tube, however nothing on the TB itself... also, the breather tube showed evidence of oil and the possible source. Just wondering has anyone else seen this before and is it any cause for concern?!
Back to top Go down
jlg1963
CAMM Pro
jlg1963

PostSubject: Re: Odd place for oil...   Odd place for oil... I_icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2012, 5:07 pm

Have seen some threads that said they had this happen after an oil change where they pumped oil in like at a Jiffy Lube. Theory was it filled to fast and air forced oil thru the vent tube. Take it for what it is worth... Keep an eye on it doubt it is a big issue.
Back to top Go down
Razor
CAMM Pro
Razor

PostSubject: Re: Odd place for oil...   Odd place for oil... I_icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2012, 5:30 pm

I noticed that on my car when i had the stock intake
Back to top Go down
firestartr420
CAMM All-Star
firestartr420

PostSubject: Re: Odd place for oil...   Odd place for oil... I_icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2012, 6:07 pm

i had a feeling it was something to do with an oil change or something of the sorts... stupid dealerships... can't trust them to even do an oil change correctly Wink Wink
Back to top Go down
irishrt5.7
CAMM All-Star
irishrt5.7

PostSubject: Re: Odd place for oil...   Odd place for oil... I_icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2012, 7:44 pm

get a catch can this will eliminate that... every one of our cars have this issue its not because they filled the oil to fast...
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Odd place for oil...   Odd place for oil... I_icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2012, 8:19 pm

irishrt5.7 wrote:
get a catch can this will eliminate that... every one of our cars have this issue its not because they filled the oil to fast...
Kind of what I thought but didnt want to sound like a moron if I was wrong.
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Odd place for oil...   Odd place for oil... I_icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2012, 8:20 pm

I bought a used catch can exactly 3000 miles ago. I just emptied after an oil change it was half full. Not used to that because on my Charger I only put about 2000 miles a year on it.
Back to top Go down
jlg1963
CAMM Pro
jlg1963

PostSubject: Re: Odd place for oil...   Odd place for oil... I_icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2012, 8:39 pm

For some reason I thought Tom was already running with a catch can. Embarassed
If not I agree seems to help mine anyway.

Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Odd place for oil...   Odd place for oil... I_icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2012, 9:20 pm

Shawn1112 wrote:
irishrt5.7 wrote:
Kind of what I thought but didnt want to sound like a moron if I was wrong.

Well why should you be any different than the rest of us?
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: Odd place for oil...   Odd place for oil... I_icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2012, 9:29 pm

mine like never fills up much. i dunno why.

i even put a drain valve in mine and i hardly have to use it. lol.
Back to top Go down
Moparcharger07
CAMM Member
Moparcharger07

PostSubject: Re: Odd place for oil...   Odd place for oil... I_icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2012, 10:05 pm

Yup, catch can will solve it. Sounds like a little "blow by" through the pcv in my opinion
Back to top Go down
firestartr420
CAMM All-Star
firestartr420

PostSubject: Re: Odd place for oil...   Odd place for oil... I_icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2012, 11:28 pm

doh doh already have a catch can guys.... i painted it blue and mounted on the front of my engine im sure a lot of you have seen numerous times... granted, i dont know how old the oil i found is, but it was an odd place for me to see oil. It definately appeared to be coming from the breather tube as opposed to the throttle body, however, i noticed what looked like a small splash on the inside of the throttle body tube, but no trail of oil as I saw from the breather tube...it wasnt a lot of oil either, just a small amount.... Shawn, i will agree with you on the filling of the catch can... Mine is always filled to about half way around every oil change (3k or 3 months), but the level on the stick is alright, so i dont worry about it too much. I believe it has something to do with the VVT as opposed to MDS, but Im not a big techy in that department... basically however though, i was curious if i should be concerned about the small amount of oil I found in my air cleaner box... meh, its a Mopar, im gonna find oil in weird places...
Back to top Go down
moaugust88
CAMM Pro
moaugust88

PostSubject: Re: Odd place for oil...   Odd place for oil... I_icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2012, 12:13 pm

Just like it was said probably just the dealer put the oil a little too fast. On my old stock intake that would happen to me. With the CAI however I noticed that it wasn't a problem.

Keep calm and carry on.
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Odd place for oil...   Odd place for oil... I_icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2012, 7:28 pm

Nothing to do with oil changes. The system is designed to recirculate unburned fuel and oil from the exhaust gas. It blows it back into the intake charge tube. Hence the catch can. It only captures some of it in the can.
Back to top Go down
irishrt5.7
CAMM All-Star
irishrt5.7

PostSubject: Re: Odd place for oil...   Odd place for oil... I_icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2012, 7:41 pm

didn't realize you had a catch can.. however the catch can will not eliminate all of it..you will still see some once in a while.. this is very normal on our cars..if you are worried about it honestly eliminate the line from the tube into the intake (create a breather instead of a suction) as the added suctions is what pulls the oil into the intake tube and manifold... one way to have it completely stop remove the egr tube add block off plate and disable w/ predator if available in the new cars i am not sure if it is.. i know mine stopped completely... if its not then you can always add a secondary catch can in between manifold and intake tube...hope this helps
Back to top Go down
firestartr420
CAMM All-Star
firestartr420

PostSubject: Re: Odd place for oil...   Odd place for oil... I_icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2012, 8:26 pm

irishrt5.7 wrote:
didn't realize you had a catch can.. however the catch can will not eliminate all of it..you will still see some once in a while.. this is very normal on our cars..if you are worried about it honestly eliminate the line from the tube into the intake (create a breather instead of a suction) as the added suctions is what pulls the oil into the intake tube and manifold... one way to have it completely stop remove the egr tube add block off plate and disable w/ predator if available in the new cars i am not sure if it is.. i know mine stopped completely... if its not then you can always add a secondary catch can in between manifold and intake tube...hope this helps

makes sense... no, predator is not available on the new cars yet. Thanks for the reponses, for some reason, ive just been "nervous" of this car since I bought it a year ago, not sure why, I just am.
Back to top Go down
irishrt5.7
CAMM All-Star
irishrt5.7

PostSubject: Re: Odd place for oil...   Odd place for oil... I_icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2012, 9:21 pm

i understand but dodge def knows about it and if it were really going to do anything to the car or that would have caused lawsuits they would have re designed the whole idea...so i think you are going to be just fine bro...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Odd place for oil...   Odd place for oil... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Odd place for oil...
Page 1 of 1