Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

drag wheel and tire suggestions

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

drag wheel and tire suggestions Empty
PostSubject: drag wheel and tire suggestions   drag wheel and tire suggestions I_icon_minitimeMarch 3rd 2012, 1:43 pm

I'm itching for summer to come. I'm still working on details but I'm for sure getting a 3.73, tune, and possibly torque convertor at Mr. Norm's. I want to get some new wheels and tires, so I need help. From what I've seen so far I like the Weld 17 x 10 wheels for the back and I'll probably keep the stock wheels in front. I have no clue about tires, but I want drs so I can change them at home and drive to the track. So are these wheels a solid choice, and whats a good tire for them if they are? how long do drag radials hold up to daily driving? I really like the way the 17" wheel with like a 315 tire looks. With an essentially stock srt am I going to see any performance upgrade with the drag radials and new rear end/tune do you think I can run in the 12s, or do I need engine work?
bill
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: drag wheel and tire suggestions   drag wheel and tire suggestions I_icon_minitimeMarch 3rd 2012, 3:02 pm

i was running in the 12's with less than you have on your car now at the time...

but for your tires i recommend these...

http://www.mandhtires.com/store.php?crn=70&rn=305&action=show_detail
Back to top Go down
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

PostSubject: Re: drag wheel and tire suggestions   drag wheel and tire suggestions I_icon_minitimeMarch 3rd 2012, 3:22 pm

I don't know how to race my car very well at all. I've only made 3 passes at gld last year. I don't remember times, but they were bad. lots o wheel spin. I tried to go to route 66, but wore a pair of shorts like an idiot and didn't get to run. I'm hoping to learn and get much better this year. Would I need an 11" wheel for those tires? do you have a suggestion for a 17" wheel that would fit my car (07 srt8, stock suspension) without any modifications? I saw some from Weld that were nice, and expensive. Discount tire says I need 20 X 9s Very Happy thanks,
bill
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: drag wheel and tire suggestions   drag wheel and tire suggestions I_icon_minitimeMarch 3rd 2012, 4:04 pm

there are tons of wheels you can use if you are just putting them on the back. its the front that gets tough to fit smaller wheels on.

the guys on my Dakota R/T board run those tires on 17x9 factory dakota r/t wheels. the tires run kinda small, its not a true 325 if you will. a 10 in wide wheel would be perfect, but an inch wider or skinnier would be fine.
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: drag wheel and tire suggestions   drag wheel and tire suggestions I_icon_minitimeMarch 3rd 2012, 7:07 pm

There is a used set of Bogart wheels on the LX, with tires. I paid 1500 + shipping for 4 used. This is a good deal.

http://www.lxforums.com/board/f57/fs-bogarts-rims-tires-298855/
Back to top Go down
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

PostSubject: Re: drag wheel and tire suggestions   drag wheel and tire suggestions I_icon_minitimeMarch 3rd 2012, 7:52 pm

I don't have the cash to spring on these now as I'm getting the getrag. thanks for the suggestions. bogart + m&h's. do you think with this setup I could just punch it and go, or would I still get a bunch of wheel spin? would I be able to use a tire like that on my car as a daily driver, or at the track only? are 4" wheels in front street legal?
bill
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: drag wheel and tire suggestions   drag wheel and tire suggestions I_icon_minitimeMarch 3rd 2012, 8:12 pm

funkpolice wrote:
I don't have the cash to spring on these now as I'm getting the getrag. thanks for the suggestions. bogart + m&h's. do you think with this setup I could just punch it and go, or would I still get a bunch of wheel spin? would I be able to use a tire like that on my car as a daily driver, or at the track only? are 4" wheels in front street legal?
bill

Well yes and no. The wheels are street legal, but they don't recommend street use. I drove on drag radials for 2 yrs and had no problems. M&H 4.5x28 is what I run on the front. The drag radial is hit or miss at the strip depending on weather and track prep. When they hook they will dead hook. As for the street I never could find any tire to hook well, because it's the street. Hell I can fry slicks on the street.
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: drag wheel and tire suggestions   drag wheel and tire suggestions I_icon_minitimeMarch 3rd 2012, 8:47 pm

skinny's on the street is not recommended. it makes you car a death trap in daily driving. 80-90 percent of your stopping power is from your front wheels. having 20 percent of the contact patch you used to is not the safest thing.

also you don't need bogarts, it would be nice to have them though. you could get a cheap wheel for a fraction of the cost that will do the same thing as far as function, they would just have more weight. its up to you if the weight savings are worth triple the cost per wheel.
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: drag wheel and tire suggestions   drag wheel and tire suggestions I_icon_minitimeMarch 3rd 2012, 8:58 pm

Just having the unsprung weight savings is worth a tenth off your ET with Bogart wheels. I have a pair of used in almost perfect condition forged 20" Alcoa wheels with Nitto 555R dr's on them. The dr's are pretty wasted, but you could have the set for $300 if you wanted to run the car to the track and back.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: drag wheel and tire suggestions   drag wheel and tire suggestions I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

drag wheel and tire suggestions
Page 1 of 1