Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

what's the best oil ?

Go down 
+14
crazy933
370 Hemi
Iguanaman
moros323
Shawn1112
vagrant
Headtripp
300Crocket
jontoad
moaugust88
irishrt5.7
Moparcharger07
liljoejoe54
inkedup
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
inkedup
CAMM All-Star
inkedup

what's the best oil ? Empty
PostSubject: what's the best oil ?   what's the best oil ? I_icon_minitimeSeptember 20th 2011, 8:43 pm

is synthetic better?what do you prefer?
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: what's the best oil ?   what's the best oil ? I_icon_minitimeSeptember 20th 2011, 8:51 pm

Royal Purple.
Back to top Go down
inkedup
CAMM All-Star
inkedup

PostSubject: Re: what's the best oil ?   what's the best oil ? I_icon_minitimeSeptember 20th 2011, 8:53 pm

i've been reading about that .is synthetic better and if i try it can i go back if i dont like it?
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: what's the best oil ?   what's the best oil ? I_icon_minitimeSeptember 20th 2011, 8:56 pm

inkedup wrote:
i've been reading about that .is synthetic better and if i try it can i go back if i dont like it?

From what I hear, you cant go back once you put in synthetic. And yes, synthetic is way better than regular oil.
Back to top Go down
Moparcharger07
CAMM Member
Moparcharger07

PostSubject: Re: what's the best oil ?   what's the best oil ? I_icon_minitimeSeptember 20th 2011, 9:01 pm

Yup, exactly what Joe said
Back to top Go down
inkedup
CAMM All-Star
inkedup

PostSubject: Re: what's the best oil ?   what's the best oil ? I_icon_minitimeSeptember 20th 2011, 9:04 pm

lot of peeps dis rp and say penz syn or mobil 1
Back to top Go down
irishrt5.7
CAMM All-Star
irishrt5.7

PostSubject: Re: what's the best oil ?   what's the best oil ? I_icon_minitimeSeptember 20th 2011, 9:33 pm

i will only run mobile one in my car...
Back to top Go down
inkedup
CAMM All-Star
inkedup

PostSubject: Re: what's the best oil ?   what's the best oil ? I_icon_minitimeSeptember 20th 2011, 9:50 pm

did you feel a difference when you changed?
Back to top Go down
moaugust88
CAMM Pro
moaugust88

PostSubject: Re: what's the best oil ?   what's the best oil ? I_icon_minitimeSeptember 20th 2011, 10:13 pm

BND if you got the cash. Has worked the best in my experience. But at about $120+ for a change and 10000 between the oil change wasn't my thing but well worth the coin. Worked wonders on the HEMI. He also custom makes the weight to your application. But other than that RP and M1 are great for the price. Walmart has the better price for M1 and Pepboys often has RP on sale.
Back to top Go down
inkedup
CAMM All-Star
inkedup

PostSubject: Re: what's the best oil ?   what's the best oil ? I_icon_minitimeSeptember 20th 2011, 10:19 pm

Mobil 1 Extended Performance seem's to be a 15,000 mile between changes...... don't know if i'd ever do that .its got to get changed frequently.im overdue but i dont really drive it anymore last time i changed it was last nov.and it still looks like the day i changed it
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: what's the best oil ?   what's the best oil ? I_icon_minitimeSeptember 21st 2011, 1:06 am

there is a reason even Dodge has dropped Mobil1 as factory oil on SRT cars.... i won't use it. it has fared very poor in bearing wear tests since it was re-formulated in 2008ish.

i use Royal Purple myself, but only because it is easy to get a hold of. with the low amount of miles i put on the car every year i can wait for it to go on sale at pep boys when they do their 5 quarts and a filter for 45 bux sale on Royal Purple and just buy an extra 2 quarts since the 6.1L takes a massive 7 quarts.

if your really concerned get a custom blend from Quantum Blue. for me RP is good enough.
Back to top Go down
300Crocket
CAMM Member
300Crocket

PostSubject: Re: what's the best oil ?   what's the best oil ? I_icon_minitimeSeptember 21st 2011, 7:28 am

Another vote for Royal Purple.
Back to top Go down
Headtripp
Founding Member
Founding Member
Headtripp

PostSubject: Re: what's the best oil ?   what's the best oil ? I_icon_minitimeSeptember 21st 2011, 11:18 am

After seeing the wear tests on all the oils I switched to RP and never looked back
Back to top Go down
vagrant
CAMM Member
vagrant

PostSubject: Re: what's the best oil ?   what's the best oil ? I_icon_minitimeSeptember 21st 2011, 6:51 pm

Hrm..my car came with 3 years of oil changes...wonder what they use...

-vagrant
Back to top Go down
inkedup
CAMM All-Star
inkedup

PostSubject: Re: what's the best oil ?   what's the best oil ? I_icon_minitimeSeptember 21st 2011, 7:07 pm

Wesson oil.....lol
Back to top Go down
irishrt5.7
CAMM All-Star
irishrt5.7

PostSubject: Re: what's the best oil ?   what's the best oil ? I_icon_minitimeSeptember 21st 2011, 10:06 pm

the 5.7 takes 7 quarts as well john... not just the 6.1

personally with the way the oil is compared to back in the day who cares what you put in your car... if you are running your car for 15 k or a year then yeah maybe look into something a little more expensive... RP is for heavy duty drivers... john i totally understand why you put it in your car... for the just daily drivers that don't race and get on it once in a while it doesn't really matter what you use... some people just like to blow money and for all the wrong reasons... use mobile 1 and be done with it change every 3-5k and be done with it... i don't understand why these threads keep coming up come on people its not the 70s any more shit has changed... not bashing you mike im just saying use what you want to use its not going to hurt it unless you don't do proper maintenance...or u use the total wrong weight oil...
Back to top Go down
inkedup
CAMM All-Star
inkedup

PostSubject: Re: what's the best oil ?   what's the best oil ? I_icon_minitimeSeptember 21st 2011, 10:15 pm

sory ill stop with this post ,weird thats what i thought forums were for....
Back to top Go down
vagrant
CAMM Member
vagrant

PostSubject: Re: what's the best oil ?   what's the best oil ? I_icon_minitimeSeptember 21st 2011, 10:59 pm

My Audi A4 used Castrol Syntec with ridiculously long change intervals. I do not recommend! Ultimately though I have to agree with Brian...go synthetic and keep it fresh and you're engine will love you.

inkedup, are you running with a catch can? From what I've read it's something everyone with a HEMI should consider...specially if you have a tune or if you like to get out and hammer it here and there.

-vagrant
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: what's the best oil ?   what's the best oil ? I_icon_minitimeSeptember 22nd 2011, 6:43 am

irishrt5.7 wrote:
the 5.7 takes 7 quarts as well john... not just the 6.1

i know, i never said it didn't. lol.

doesn't matter if its the 70's or 2000's if an oil doesn't perform well. the bearing wear tests factual. when mobil1 gets out performed by some conventional oils it doesn't go in my car. if i can spend 5 bux more per oil change to get an oil that works, why not.
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: what's the best oil ?   what's the best oil ? I_icon_minitimeSeptember 22nd 2011, 5:18 pm

Mobil 1 for me
Back to top Go down
moros323
CAMM Pro
moros323

PostSubject: Re: what's the best oil ?   what's the best oil ? I_icon_minitimeSeptember 22nd 2011, 10:01 pm

I used to use Mobil 1 then switched to royal purple...felt the difference right away! I then found Amesoil and REALLY felt the difference and the Amesoil 25000 mile oil filter...I drive real hard so I will change at 20000 no problem! bearbang
Back to top Go down
inkedup
CAMM All-Star
inkedup

PostSubject: Re: what's the best oil ?   what's the best oil ? I_icon_minitimeSeptember 22nd 2011, 10:10 pm

what difference did you feel?
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: what's the best oil ?   what's the best oil ? I_icon_minitimeSeptember 22nd 2011, 10:15 pm

inkedup wrote:
what difference did you feel?

For me, it just felt a lot smoother. The idle and acceleration felt smoother.
Back to top Go down
inkedup
CAMM All-Star
inkedup

PostSubject: Re: what's the best oil ?   what's the best oil ? I_icon_minitimeSeptember 22nd 2011, 10:19 pm

im pretty sure i will do the rp..they said valvoline has a mail in rebate for $30 bucks....the guy said all synthetic is the same ....lol
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

PostSubject: Re: what's the best oil ?   what's the best oil ? I_icon_minitimeSeptember 22nd 2011, 11:32 pm

Quantum Blue for me...that's why the link to it is in my sig.

I'll ping Brian from Quantum Blue to come over and explain why.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what's the best oil ?   what's the best oil ? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

what's the best oil ?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next