Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I smell antifreeze

Go down 
+5
liljoejoe54
Illinois Chaos
irishrt5.7
firestartr420
Shawn1112
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

I smell antifreeze Empty
PostSubject: I smell antifreeze   I smell antifreeze I_icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2011, 4:11 pm

As the title say I smell antifreeze once my car gets up to temp.

I dont see any leaks from anywhere, doesnt seem to be losing coolant, resevoir is where it should be. I havent spilled no antifreeze in engine area in over a year, when I replaced my upper radiator hose. Ideas or thoughts?????
Back to top Go down
firestartr420
CAMM All-Star
firestartr420

I smell antifreeze Empty
PostSubject: Re: I smell antifreeze   I smell antifreeze I_icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2011, 4:42 pm

possible small small leak at the heater core fittings? any possiblity it was just coming from someone elses car?
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

I smell antifreeze Empty
PostSubject: Re: I smell antifreeze   I smell antifreeze I_icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2011, 4:44 pm

firestartr420 wrote:
possible small small leak at the heater core fittings? any possiblity it was just coming from someone elses car?
No its my car, smell it every time. Where is the heater core on the Chargers. I know a lot of cars its behind glove box somewhere and a mother fucker to get to.
I dont have any syptoms of heater core failure.
Back to top Go down
firestartr420
CAMM All-Star
firestartr420

I smell antifreeze Empty
PostSubject: Re: I smell antifreeze   I smell antifreeze I_icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2011, 5:00 pm

it may not be total failure, but it could be worn out seal or something got bumped during the install of a mod or something, it could be running down the A/C condensate drain too... but with out a significant loss of coolant, its probably something small. From looking at the 2008 LX Service manual, it looks like they are mounted behind the dash/glove box area, and it looks like a real pain in the ass to get at. It looks like you might be able to get a look at it from the engine bay through the firewall, by removing the HVAC housing, thats underneath the cabin air filter
Back to top Go down
firestartr420
CAMM All-Star
firestartr420

I smell antifreeze Empty
PostSubject: Re: I smell antifreeze   I smell antifreeze I_icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2011, 5:13 pm

another possiblity, might be a small crack or leak in the radiator hoses, and doesnt show up until up to temp and under pressure. Let it warm up to temp, pop the hood, and have someone give it a few revs and see if you see anything spraying out, or small bits of steam/smoke from the burning off of the coolant...
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

I smell antifreeze Empty
PostSubject: Re: I smell antifreeze   I smell antifreeze I_icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2011, 5:28 pm

Thanks will give it a shot
Back to top Go down
irishrt5.7
CAMM All-Star
irishrt5.7

I smell antifreeze Empty
PostSubject: Re: I smell antifreeze   I smell antifreeze I_icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2011, 6:02 pm

hope it is nothing serious my guess would be you had some tacos one night and farted and it got embedded in your new seats and when uhave been in the car a while it brings the seat temps up and you smell it again...lol

when you run your heater do you see any smoke or anything???

does the smell get worse when you run your heater???
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

I smell antifreeze Empty
PostSubject: Re: I smell antifreeze   I smell antifreeze I_icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2011, 6:09 pm

The radiator caps all leak. I smell a little wiff on start up from time to time. I have a white stain above the cap on my hood liner. They really puke at wot.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

I smell antifreeze Empty
PostSubject: Re: I smell antifreeze   I smell antifreeze I_icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2011, 7:20 pm

Illinois Chaos wrote:
The radiator caps all leak. I smell a little wiff on start up from time to time. I have a white stain above the cap on my hood liner. They really puke at wot.

I have heard of this as well and I think Jontoad also brought this up. I know they redesigned the coolant caps on the newer LX's because the old design leaked.
Back to top Go down
HemiMag
CAMM All-Star
HemiMag

I smell antifreeze Empty
PostSubject: Re: I smell antifreeze   I smell antifreeze I_icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2011, 7:50 pm

I'd check the heater core. Usually if they have a small leak they will go towards the passenger side carpet....
Back to top Go down
xegitalian19xx
Founding Member
Founding Member
xegitalian19xx

I smell antifreeze Empty
PostSubject: Re: I smell antifreeze   I smell antifreeze I_icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2011, 8:13 pm

I remember my coolant cap leaking on my ride...when I brought it to the dealer they gave me a new cap, but it was completely re-designed.. This was a black plastic one instead of a metal one.

Come to think about it I wonder if i'll eventually have to pick one up for the Chally??
Back to top Go down
inkedup
CAMM All-Star
inkedup

I smell antifreeze Empty
PostSubject: Re: I smell antifreeze   I smell antifreeze I_icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2011, 8:18 pm

just because hoses arent leaking ,couldn't it just be hoses that are wearing out my old car the hoses after awhile got softer not leaking but you could smell anti freeze....just a thought
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

I smell antifreeze Empty
PostSubject: Re: I smell antifreeze   I smell antifreeze I_icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2011, 8:51 pm

HemiMag wrote:
I'd check the heater core. Usually if they have a small leak they will go towards the passenger side carpet....
I checked that bro, heater core was the first thing that came to mind when I couldnt find a leak.
No fogging of the windows and carpet is dry on passenger side.
Might just go have a pressure test done.
Back to top Go down
Dave13
CAMM Member

I smell antifreeze Empty
PostSubject: Re: I smell antifreeze   I smell antifreeze I_icon_minitimeMarch 30th 2011, 1:27 pm

Idk about Mopar, but GM has a weep hole in the water pump. If they work correctly, when the bearings start to wear in the water pump, a small amount of coolant will leak out. It's to warn of wearing parts, without having a break down.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

I smell antifreeze Empty
PostSubject: Re: I smell antifreeze   I smell antifreeze I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I smell antifreeze
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars :: The Garage :: Engine Bay Aesthetics-
Jump to: