Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeRegisterLog in

Bad smell coming from vents

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

Bad smell coming from vents Empty
PostSubject: Bad smell coming from vents   Bad smell coming from vents I_icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 5:25 pm

For the last couple of weeks I noticed when I turn on the AC or heat, I notice a bad smell coming out from the vents for a few minutes and then it goes away. It kindof smells like the monkey house at the zoo. Does anybody know what can cause this and how I can get rid of it? In case it matters, I do NOT have the cabin filter so it couldnt be a dirty filter that caused it. It would suck if I take a girl on a date and put the A/C on only to blow ape stink in her face, lol.

As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride. Amen.
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

PostSubject: Re: Bad smell coming from vents   Bad smell coming from vents I_icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 5:28 pm

liljoejoe54 wrote:
It would suck if I take a girl on a date and ... blow ape stink in her face, lol.

I thought that was CAMM foreplay? jocolor
Back to top Go down
moaugust88
CAMM Pro
moaugust88

PostSubject: Re: Bad smell coming from vents   Bad smell coming from vents I_icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 5:40 pm

Hmmm blow some air into the cabin intake? Or just kinda blame it on the girl. lol
Back to top Go down
pstlgrp
CAMM Pro
pstlgrp

PostSubject: Re: Bad smell coming from vents   Bad smell coming from vents I_icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 5:42 pm

Joe that was funny as hell...ok not the issue but your way of explaining it. I hope you figure it out. That must stink!!
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Bad smell coming from vents   Bad smell coming from vents I_icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 5:44 pm

Never heard of that.

Bad smell coming from vents 1236920_10151644188979537_407418136_n
Back to top Go down
HiPwr
HiPwr

PostSubject: Re: Bad smell coming from vents   Bad smell coming from vents I_icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 5:56 pm

It's possible that you have a family of raccoons that crawled in there and a few of the raccoon babies that didn't survive are rotting away.
Back to top Go down
ghost
Founding Member
Founding Member
ghost

PostSubject: Re: Bad smell coming from vents   Bad smell coming from vents I_icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 6:03 pm

i am going to go with a dead fish in the bay somewheres
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

PostSubject: Re: Bad smell coming from vents   Bad smell coming from vents I_icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 6:06 pm

ghost wrote:
i am going to go with a dead fish in the bay somewheres

Joey's cabin air filter sleeps with the fishes.

I know. I know, you din't have one. Comedic suspension of disbelief, OK?
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Bad smell coming from vents   Bad smell coming from vents I_icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 6:33 pm

I know there is squirrel living in my garage. eric you might be onto something. I just hope the fucker didn't leave some babies in there. I guess ill find out tomorrow.

As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride. Amen.
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Bad smell coming from vents   Bad smell coming from vents I_icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 6:37 pm

[quote="liljoejoe54" It would suck if I take a girl on a date and put the A/C on only to blow ape stink in her face, lol.[/quote]

wut?
Back to top Go down
jesse031081
CAMM All-Star
jesse031081

PostSubject: Re: Bad smell coming from vents   Bad smell coming from vents I_icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 8:56 pm

joey who you crappin you having a girl in your car!!!!
Back to top Go down
HiPwr
HiPwr

PostSubject: Re: Bad smell coming from vents   Bad smell coming from vents I_icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 9:01 pm

I wouldn't worry about it, Joey. Any woman that finds herself alone in your car with you would be way to drunk to notice the smell.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Bad smell coming from vents   Bad smell coming from vents I_icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 9:07 pm

Wow you guys are jagoffs, lol.

Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: Bad smell coming from vents   Bad smell coming from vents I_icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 9:28 pm

HiPwr wrote:
I wouldn't worry about it, Joey. Any woman that finds herself alone in your car with you would be way to drunk to notice the smell.

Bad smell coming from vents B668fq

SRT MAX Plus cam, Dominator stall torque converter, AMG blue top shift solenoids, Wavetrack LSD, richmond 3.55 gears, Tein Superstreet coilovers, stack 'chubby'' sway bars, ect...
Autocross videos - (((((SRT8 Charger autocross lap.)))))  -  (((((Edited movie.)))))  -  (((((Helmet cam lap.)))))
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Bad smell coming from vents   Bad smell coming from vents I_icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 10:03 pm

Joey, you got a can of that liquid ass stuck in your vents?
Back to top Go down
chargerchick
CAMM All-Star
chargerchick

PostSubject: Re: Bad smell coming from vents   Bad smell coming from vents I_icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 10:15 pm

From LXforums:

TSB 24-006-06

SUBJECT:
A/C Cooling Coil Odor
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves inspecting for leaves and other foreign material, cleaning, and
treating the cooling coil and housing.
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Some vehicle operators may experience a musty odor from the A/C system, primarily at
start up in hot and humid climates. This odor may be the result of microbial growth on the
cooling coil. During normal A/C system operation, condensation forms in and around the
A/C cooling coil. When airborne pollutants mix with this condensation, bacteria and fungi
growth begins and odor results.
DIAGNOSIS:
If the operator describes, or the technician experiences a musty odor when operating the
A/C system, perform the appropriate Repair Procedure based on the vehicle model.
Back to top Go down
chargerchick
CAMM All-Star
chargerchick

PostSubject: Re: Bad smell coming from vents   Bad smell coming from vents I_icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 10:17 pm

Again from LXforums...

THis has been a problem for cars with A/C for a long time... the Mopar Evap Coil is designed in a way that makes the problem worse than it should be.

The old trick: Find a can of Lysol disinfectant spray that you don't mind your car smelling like for a few days... turn your A/C on FULL BLAST, FULL COLD, drawing in OUTSIDE AIR and let your car idle. (open the windows too)

Proceede to empty the can of lysol into the air vent right below the Passenger side windsheild wiper.

usually one treatment (one can) should work pretty well and last a year or so... sometimes you may need to attack with a second can...
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Bad smell coming from vents   Bad smell coming from vents I_icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 10:41 pm

chargerchick wrote:
Again from LXforums...

THis has been a problem for cars with A/C for a long time... the Mopar Evap Coil is designed in a way that makes the problem worse than it should be.

The old trick: Find a can of Lysol disinfectant spray that you don't mind your car smelling like for a few days... turn your A/C on FULL BLAST, FULL COLD, drawing in OUTSIDE AIR and let your car idle. (open the windows too)

Proceede to empty the can of lysol into the air vent right below the Passenger side windsheild wiper.

usually one treatment (one can) should work pretty well and last a year or so... sometimes you may need to attack with a second can...

Thanks alot Chris!!!! That is exactly what it sounds like.... Its a musty smell. Ill go buy a can of Lysol tomorrow!

Back to top Go down
chargerchick
CAMM All-Star
chargerchick

PostSubject: Re: Bad smell coming from vents   Bad smell coming from vents I_icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 11:24 pm

I hope it works for you! I had this problem with my first car and didn't know there was a fix for it back then. doh
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Bad smell coming from vents   Bad smell coming from vents I_icon_minitimeApril 26th 2010, 6:45 am

HiPwr wrote:
rotflmfao

Bad smell coming from vents 1236920_10151644188979537_407418136_n
Back to top Go down
chargerchick
CAMM All-Star
chargerchick

PostSubject: Re: Bad smell coming from vents   Bad smell coming from vents I_icon_minitimeApril 26th 2010, 9:20 am

HiPwr wrote:

LOL! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
HemiMag
CAMM All-Star
HemiMag

PostSubject: Re: Bad smell coming from vents   Bad smell coming from vents I_icon_minitimeApril 26th 2010, 10:32 am

that trick does work!!!!It'll eliminate the smell and at the same time make your car smell fresh
Back to top Go down
firestartr420
CAMM All-Star
firestartr420

PostSubject: Re: Bad smell coming from vents   Bad smell coming from vents I_icon_minitimeApril 26th 2010, 4:54 pm

i was going to suggest the musty coil from mold and mildew that forms on the coil.... kinda the same problem that happens in the house on the A/C ( I'm a heat and a/c guy, this is my biz), I would be a little questionable about using lysol for fear the chemicals may corrode and eat up the fins on the coil... im not sure how difficult it would be to gain access to the face of the coil, but if it isnt that difficult, you might want to try to spray some no rinse evaporator coil cleaner onto it... it will kill and wash away all the dirt, mold, and mildew usually on the coil....
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Bad smell coming from vents   Bad smell coming from vents I_icon_minitimeApril 26th 2010, 5:17 pm

firestartr420 wrote:
i was going to suggest the musty coil from mold and mildew that forms on the coil.... kinda the same problem that happens in the house on the A/C ( I'm a heat and a/c guy, this is my biz), I would be a little questionable about using lysol for fear the chemicals may corrode and eat up the fins on the coil... im not sure how difficult it would be to gain access to the face of the coil, but if it isnt that difficult, you might want to try to spray some no rinse evaporator coil cleaner onto it... it will kill and wash away all the dirt, mold, and mildew usually on the coil....

That is some good info there. I think I am going to still give the lyson a shot since I already bought a can and I am pretty sure its a PITA to get to the coil. Where can I get some of that evaporator coil cleaner for future reference? Thanks.

Back to top Go down
firestartr420
CAMM All-Star
firestartr420

PostSubject: Re: Bad smell coming from vents   Bad smell coming from vents I_icon_minitimeApril 26th 2010, 5:24 pm

they probably sell something like it at home depot or menards, although don't mark my words on that... if not, W.W Grainger, Johnstone Supply, South Side Control, pretty much any HVAC supply store will have it... its called Evap-Powr made by Nu-Calgon.... i know a lot of the HVAC stores would rather you have an account to make the buy, but if you are paying cash for the one thing, they shouldnt have a problem with it...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bad smell coming from vents   Bad smell coming from vents I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bad smell coming from vents
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars :: The Garage :: Interior-
Jump to: