Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Wheel Shake?!

Go down 
+6
Illinois Chaos
bogieboy
Srteight
ghost
jontoad
DamnSTR8
10 posters
AuthorMessage
DamnSTR8
CAMM Pro
DamnSTR8

Wheel Shake?! Empty
PostSubject: Wheel Shake?!   Wheel Shake?! I_icon_minitimeApril 8th 2010, 4:24 pm

Okay so Ive been needing to ask this for quite some time...My Charger runs fine until I hit about 78MPH and it start shaking in the steering wheel a little bit until i hit 85MPH then it goes away? Has anyone else had this problem or know what is causing it? Thanks! Sad
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

Wheel Shake?! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheel Shake?!   Wheel Shake?! I_icon_minitimeApril 8th 2010, 4:26 pm

tire balance or tie rods
Back to top Go down
ghost
Founding Member
Founding Member
ghost

Wheel Shake?! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheel Shake?!   Wheel Shake?! I_icon_minitimeApril 8th 2010, 4:32 pm

JT hit it on the head!
Back to top Go down
DamnSTR8
CAMM Pro
DamnSTR8

Wheel Shake?! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheel Shake?!   Wheel Shake?! I_icon_minitimeApril 8th 2010, 4:42 pm

buy why would it drive fine the the rest of the time and just shake at 80?
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

Wheel Shake?! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheel Shake?!   Wheel Shake?! I_icon_minitimeApril 8th 2010, 5:06 pm

DamnSTR8 wrote:

because balance issues don't show up till high speeds. if you never drove over 40mph you wouldn't even need to balance tires for the most part.

if it is the tires causing it there are simple rules.

if you feel it in the steering wheel its the front wheels.
if you feel it in the seat its the back wheels.
if its over 50mph its the balance
if its under 40mph its a bent wheel or tire out of round.

i added tie rods in because they are a common problems on our cars and can cause vibrations under load (high speeds, turning, braking, or clunks over bumps)
Back to top Go down
Srteight
CAMM Member
Srteight

Wheel Shake?! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheel Shake?!   Wheel Shake?! I_icon_minitimeApril 8th 2010, 5:14 pm

ghost wrote:
JT hit it on the head!
X3! I had the same problem at the exact same speeds as you. I also had sum uneven tire wear. I got much needed new tires all around, an alignment, and one of the tie rod ends had to be replaced. I dont know why it does it at just that speed. Maybe it has something to do with frequency and vibration created within that speed range. Im not sure. But doing that solved my problem completely.
Back to top Go down
DamnSTR8
CAMM Pro
DamnSTR8

Wheel Shake?! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheel Shake?!   Wheel Shake?! I_icon_minitimeApril 9th 2010, 9:10 am

ok well my tires are pretty much shot and I believe that is the problem...so im gonna get new tires soon! Thanks for the help! Much appreciated!!
Back to top Go down
bogieboy
CAMM All-Star
bogieboy

Wheel Shake?! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheel Shake?!   Wheel Shake?! I_icon_minitimeApril 9th 2010, 9:14 am

Hehe......Jon hit it.......my old tires did the same thing at the same speed........got my new rims and tires from him, and the shake is gone......
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

Wheel Shake?! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheel Shake?!   Wheel Shake?! I_icon_minitimeApril 9th 2010, 12:17 pm

jontoad wrote:
DamnSTR8 wrote:

because balance issues don't show up till high speeds. if you never drove over 40mph you wouldn't even need to balance tires for the most part.

i added tie rods in because they are a common problems on our cars and can cause vibrations under load (high speeds, turning, braking, or clunks over bumps)

Hey jt mine does that at around 163 mph. What could that be? wut?
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

Wheel Shake?! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheel Shake?!   Wheel Shake?! I_icon_minitimeApril 9th 2010, 8:36 pm

Illinois Chaos wrote:
jontoad wrote:
DamnSTR8 wrote:

Hey jt mine does that at around 163 mph. What could that be? wut?

its a side effect of the aerodynamics of a brick transitioning to hyperspace.
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

Wheel Shake?! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheel Shake?!   Wheel Shake?! I_icon_minitimeApril 9th 2010, 8:39 pm

ROFLMAO!
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

Wheel Shake?! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheel Shake?!   Wheel Shake?! I_icon_minitimeApril 9th 2010, 11:33 pm

I had that symptom from 69-72 mph or so. Rotated the tires and they were out of balance. They also told me one of the tie rods was "ever so slightly loose", but when I asked him which one, he couldn't remember. Haven't have that done yet.

JT, can you get Centerline Wheels? Or am I best ordering them direct from Centerline?

PM'ed you about my boss' car too.
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

Wheel Shake?! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheel Shake?!   Wheel Shake?! I_icon_minitimeApril 10th 2010, 7:19 pm

Iguanaman wrote:
I had that symptom from 69-72 mph or so. Rotated the tires and they were out of balance. They also told me one of the tie rods was "ever so slightly loose", but when I asked him which one, he couldn't remember. Haven't have that done yet.

JT, can you get Centerline Wheels? Or am I best ordering them direct from Centerline?

PM'ed you about my boss' car too.

oh. i didn't see the pm. ill have to ask my boss about centerline wheel availability. i think i have called on a set before but i don't remember... what design and width's do you have in mind?

as for your bosses car ill have to check whats available and get back to you on that. i still have to get back to 2 other people on here with wheel prices too... lol. ill take care of all that Monday, the last few days have been kinda hectic due to being short staffed.
Back to top Go down
ChargerSRT
CAMM Pro
ChargerSRT

Wheel Shake?! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheel Shake?!   Wheel Shake?! I_icon_minitimeApril 10th 2010, 7:35 pm

I just recently replaced my tie rod ends and the problem disappeared.
Back to top Go down
HiPwr
HiPwr

Wheel Shake?! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheel Shake?!   Wheel Shake?! I_icon_minitimeApril 20th 2010, 10:28 am

This was happening to me & I got my tires balanced at Goodyear last Saturday. Problem solved. Whew!
Back to top Go down
pjcharger
CAMM Pro
pjcharger

Wheel Shake?! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheel Shake?!   Wheel Shake?! I_icon_minitimeApril 20th 2010, 10:00 pm

hmmm this happens to me also, a slight vibration in the steering wheel. but when you look at the passenger seat its moving a bit too.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Wheel Shake?! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheel Shake?!   Wheel Shake?! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wheel Shake?!
Page 1 of 1