Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Where 2 find 0w-30

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
pjcharger
CAMM Pro
pjcharger

Where 2 find 0w-30 Empty
PostSubject: Where 2 find 0w-30   Where 2 find 0w-30 I_icon_minitimeApril 1st 2010, 8:53 pm

wait or is it 0w-40? Which do i use for the charger? 06 srt8? and where do i get it, seems to not be around at walmart/target

1st oil change is coming up (bro in law does it not me :-)
Back to top Go down
Dartboy
Founding Member
Founding Member
Dartboy

Where 2 find 0w-30 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where 2 find 0w-30   Where 2 find 0w-30 I_icon_minitimeApril 1st 2010, 8:55 pm

I do believe you want 5w-30... I know thats what R/T run...not sure if different in the SRT...
also check into using Mobil1...or my fav Royal Purple!
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

Where 2 find 0w-30 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where 2 find 0w-30   Where 2 find 0w-30 I_icon_minitimeApril 1st 2010, 9:27 pm

My 2 cents:

Contact Brian "370 Hemi" on the forum here directly...BND Automotive, home of Quantum Blue Lubricants...some of us here are running his products. 30 years as a chemist is hard to argue with. And the guy is PASSIONATE about what he does.

PM him here or link to his product through my signature.
Back to top Go down
Dartboy
Founding Member
Founding Member
Dartboy

Where 2 find 0w-30 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where 2 find 0w-30   Where 2 find 0w-30 I_icon_minitimeApril 1st 2010, 9:31 pm

Iguanaman wrote:

Contact Brian "370 Hemi" on the forum here directly...BND Automotive, home of Quantum Blue Lubricants...some of us here are running his products. 30 years as a chemist is hard to argue with. And the guy is PASSIONATE about what he does.

good info, forgot about them...D'uhhh
Back to top Go down
pjcharger
CAMM Pro
pjcharger

Where 2 find 0w-30 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where 2 find 0w-30   Where 2 find 0w-30 I_icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2010, 10:42 pm

what regular oil do I use for the srt8? I'm not the mechanic so I'm not real sure what that Blue stuff is or does
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

Where 2 find 0w-30 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where 2 find 0w-30   Where 2 find 0w-30 I_icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2010, 11:13 pm

quantum blue is custom blended oil. he builds it for you.

that being said 0w-40 is your factory recommended oil.

i run 5w-30 royal purple in my SRT8 (i am not a fan of Mobil1). i switched to royal purple before they made a 0w-40 blend so that's why i originally went with the 5w-30. you can buy 5w-30 royal purple over the counter at local parts stores so i stuck with it. you have to order their 0w-40 online.
Back to top Go down
irishrt5.7
CAMM All-Star
irishrt5.7

Where 2 find 0w-30 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where 2 find 0w-30   Where 2 find 0w-30 I_icon_minitimeApril 3rd 2010, 10:05 am

ok if you guys are running 5w30 you shouldnt be it should be 5w20 with the hemi's at least on the 5.7 this is what you are supposed to be running...
Back to top Go down
irishrt5.7
CAMM All-Star
irishrt5.7

Where 2 find 0w-30 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where 2 find 0w-30   Where 2 find 0w-30 I_icon_minitimeApril 3rd 2010, 10:09 am

RECOMMENDED FLUIDS, LUBRICANTS AND GENUINE PARTS

ENGINE
Component Fluids, Lubricants and Genuine Parts
Engine Coolant Mopar ®️ Antifreeze/Coolant 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula HOAT (Hybrid Organic Additive Technology)
Engine Oil (2.7 Liter) Use API Certified engine oil. SAE 5W-20 is recommended. Refer to the engine oil fill cap for the correct SAE grade meeting DaimlerChrysler Material Standard MS-6395.
Engine Oil (3.5 Liter) Use API Certified engine oil. SAE 10W-30 is recommended. Refer to the engine oil viscosity chart for the correct SAE grade meeting DaimlerChrysler Material Standard MS-6395.
Engine Oil (5.7 Liter) Use API Certified engine oil. SAE 5W-20 is recommended. Refer to the engine oil fill cap for the correct SAE grade meeting DaimlerChrysler Material Standard MS-6395.
Engine Oil 6.1 Liter) Use API rated SL/CF full synthetic engine oil, such as Mobil 1®️ . SAE 0W-40 is recommended.
Spark Plugs Refer to the Vehicle Emission Control Information label in the engine compartment.
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

Where 2 find 0w-30 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where 2 find 0w-30   Where 2 find 0w-30 I_icon_minitimeApril 3rd 2010, 10:35 am

I swear I get no kickback on this, but from the Quantum Blue product page, here is part of what convinced me to go the Quantum Blue route:

Quote :
As David Vizard - an automotive and aerospace engineer that writes for 8 different publications wrote March 2005 in GM High Tech Performance Magazine: (running various performance products on a dyno with a crate Z06 Corvette engine) "The reason Mobil 1 was used was because of it's proven anti wear properties. By any yardstick it is a top quality oil and my tests have shown that Mobil's ads concerning its anti wear properties fall well short of reality. This point is being made because the intent was to do an oil analysis wear comparison between the BND QuantumBlue oil and the proven performance of Mobil 1. The lab used here was CTC Analytical (Division of Stavley Labs) (performing a spectrum oil analysis) and without going into a whole load of peripheral details the results showed Quantum Blue cut wear of iron parts by some 30 percent and bearing parts by some 15 percent.

Unlike other oils Quantum Blue is custom blended for each and every customer and with a specific given application in mind. When you get the oil from BND (Automotive) it will have your name right on the container. Like many early LS type engines the 2000 Sierra suffered lifter noise. The oil BND (Automotive) brewed had an additive package that specifically focused on reducing lifter noise. At the beginning of the test there was a great deal of skepticism about this but after about 2 months all sign of lifter noise was gone" (he went on to say) " This oil had more than proven its capability as a means of extending engine life--but what was it like for power? We had an engine on the dyno with an oil good for power but the only Quantum Blue on hand was the 15-45 oil specifically blended for a truck expected to haul 9,000 lbs up a long grade on a 110 degree summer day in the Mojave desert. The thinking here was that if Quantum Blue cut wear by means of friction reduction then this might offset any viscous loss due to being a 15-45 blend versus the 0-30 Mobil blend currently in the sump. Well there was one way to find out so Joe Huneycutt dumped the Mobil oil, changed the filter and refilled the sump with Quantum Blue.

Almost immediately after starting one major factor was apparent: the oil pressure at any given temperature was at least 15 psi higher than with the 0-30 weight oil. All previous tests with the 0-30 weight oil were done with the temperature around 200 degrees F. At that temperature the output with the Quantum Blue was marginally down but running it at 220F (where it still maintained at least +15 psi) the power was virtually the same. These results encouraged the planning of tests on a blend of Quantum Blue done specifically for our Z06 engine."
Back to top Go down
irishrt5.7
CAMM All-Star
irishrt5.7

Where 2 find 0w-30 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where 2 find 0w-30   Where 2 find 0w-30 I_icon_minitimeApril 3rd 2010, 11:47 am

im sorry dave but even w/ all the stuff that there site says and i am not bashing there stuff by any means but i will not pay $13 per qt for oil...
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

Where 2 find 0w-30 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where 2 find 0w-30   Where 2 find 0w-30 I_icon_minitimeApril 3rd 2010, 3:03 pm

irishrt5.7 wrote:
im sorry dave but even w/ all the stuff that there site says and i am not bashing there stuff by any means but i will not pay $13 per qt for oil...

It's a 10k mile oil change, not 3k, just FYI. The price difference isn't bad.

I'm planning my oil change for 9k, to keep it at a 3k interval.

My math worked out like this:

Around $35 (or more) per oil change to have someone do it, as I do, X 3 oil changes = $105/9k miles for regular dinosaur oil.

$112 and Eric brought his ramps over to change the oil for a couple beers X 1 oil change/9k miles = $112+beers/9k miles for custom blended, advanced lubricants.

So the price increase for me over a 9,000 mile spread was around $7 + beers. I know I'm not playing fair getting basically free labor in one scenario and not another, but's that's reality. I would feel pretty bad asking Eric to come change my oil every 3k miles.

Last edited by Iguanaman on April 3rd 2010, 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
irishrt5.7
CAMM All-Star
irishrt5.7

Where 2 find 0w-30 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where 2 find 0w-30   Where 2 find 0w-30 I_icon_minitimeApril 3rd 2010, 3:08 pm

thats fine but i dont change my oil at 3000 w/ fully synthetic anyways...its usually about 7000 for me...and costs me 35 dollars to do it myself...
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

Where 2 find 0w-30 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where 2 find 0w-30   Where 2 find 0w-30 I_icon_minitimeApril 3rd 2010, 3:21 pm

irishrt5.7 wrote:
thats fine but i dont change my oil at 3000 w/ fully synthetic anyways...its usually about 7000 for me...

That's cool. It's like a mod...to each his own.
Back to top Go down
irishrt5.7
CAMM All-Star
irishrt5.7

Where 2 find 0w-30 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where 2 find 0w-30   Where 2 find 0w-30 I_icon_minitimeApril 3rd 2010, 3:24 pm

exactly...
Back to top Go down
irishrt5.7
CAMM All-Star
irishrt5.7

Where 2 find 0w-30 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where 2 find 0w-30   Where 2 find 0w-30 I_icon_minitimeApril 3rd 2010, 3:26 pm

my biggest question i guess is why are people using different weight oils then what is recommended for the car that's all
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

Where 2 find 0w-30 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where 2 find 0w-30   Where 2 find 0w-30 I_icon_minitimeApril 3rd 2010, 4:22 pm

irishrt5.7 wrote:
my biggest question i guess is why are people using different weight oils then what is recommended for the car that's all

I'll defer to 370 hemi on that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Where 2 find 0w-30 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where 2 find 0w-30   Where 2 find 0w-30 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Where 2 find 0w-30
Page 1 of 1