Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

teach me boost!!!!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bogieboy
CAMM All-Star
bogieboy

teach me boost!!!! Empty
PostSubject: teach me boost!!!!   teach me boost!!!! I_icon_minitimeFebruary 23rd 2010, 11:37 pm

Lol as all those at the Bowling nite saw, I "inherited" a powerdyne superchager for my truck from "the Toad'' (named Jon....lol again thankyou Jon!!!!!!)

Now, I know next to nothing about boost.....or computer tuning.......I grew up tweaking carbs on lawnmowers and snowblowers....

So....school me on boost, tuning, timing, etc!

P. S. Anthony, can you get some pics up in here? I am too lazy to dig thru my photobucket to get them here....LOLz
Oh yeah, pretty please????
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

teach me boost!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: teach me boost!!!!   teach me boost!!!! I_icon_minitimeFebruary 23rd 2010, 11:46 pm

first rule of thumb find a good tuner if your going over 6 lbs of boost, and never go lean and make sure your fuel system is working with guages to monitor fuel pressure, air fuel ratio, and boost levels. magnum motor stock headgaskets don't like over 12lbs of boost (on a good tune) you might want to stick with the 6lb pulley for a while.

a return fuel system with 24lb injectors and a good sct tune is your best bet.

the cheap way is a vortech 12:1 fmu or arimotive digital fmu with an inline pump like a vortech t-rex pump. you can get a t-rex pump off summit kinda cheap.

like i said if you fab a bracket for that idler pulley i was missing or if i find it your belt size will be 1105k6. I'll look for that idler pulley and bracket when it gets warmer out. it might be in another box in my garage somewhere.
Back to top Go down
bogieboy
CAMM All-Star
bogieboy

teach me boost!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: teach me boost!!!!   teach me boost!!!! I_icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2010, 12:01 am

Cool.... I was planning on investing in some a/f and boost guages...didnrt think about fuel pressure....thank you!!! also, about that idler.......if you can't find it a guy on a different forum has one that he will give me.......

So injectors......did I remember correctly that you thought you had those somewhere too? Or no? Not a biggie.......

And I am leaning towards SCT just because its way more tunability......
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

teach me boost!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: teach me boost!!!!   teach me boost!!!! I_icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2010, 12:12 am

bogieboy wrote:
Cool.... I was planning on investing in some a/f and boost guages...didnrt think about fuel pressure....thank you!!! also, about that idler.......if you can't find it a guy on a different forum has one that he will give me.......

So injectors......did I remember correctly that you thought you had those somewhere too? Or no? Not a biggie.......

And I am leaning towards SCT just because its way more tunability......

now that i think about it my injectors wouldn't work for you anyways. they are the 2000 and up style 99 and older had a different harness connector on them.

fuel pressure guage will be needed if you do an fmu fuel system so you can make sure your fuel pressure rises with boost levels. with an fmu basically your inline fuel pump would run the fuel in a loop till it senses boost on a vacuum line. when it sees boost a plunger gets pushed open letting the fuel out of the loop to boost fuel pressure in order to meet the higher fuel demands of the blower.
Back to top Go down
bogieboy
CAMM All-Star
bogieboy

teach me boost!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: teach me boost!!!!   teach me boost!!!! I_icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2010, 12:42 am

Ok......I wass wondering what the fmu did.....hmmm.....that seems overly simple........with the fmu would a btm be a good idea?
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

teach me boost!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: teach me boost!!!!   teach me boost!!!! I_icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2010, 11:26 am

bogieboy wrote:
Ok......I wass wondering what the fmu did.....hmmm.....that seems overly simple........with the fmu would a btm be a good idea?

btm is always a good idea if your doing the fmu/inline pump route. its a progressive timing retard that builds as it senses boost. i was running one. i actually still am since its part of my msd box, i just have it on 0 now. lol.
Back to top Go down
bogieboy
CAMM All-Star
bogieboy

teach me boost!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: teach me boost!!!!   teach me boost!!!! I_icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2010, 12:52 pm

Ok....how hard is it to wire up a btm or a msd ignition box? What needs to be done?
Back to top Go down
bogieboy
CAMM All-Star
bogieboy

teach me boost!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: teach me boost!!!!   teach me boost!!!! I_icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2010, 12:55 pm

Which MSD boxes would do what I need?
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

teach me boost!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: teach me boost!!!!   teach me boost!!!! I_icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2010, 1:14 pm

the instructions are simple. they come in the box. get the MSD 6BTM
Back to top Go down
bogieboy
CAMM All-Star
bogieboy

teach me boost!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: teach me boost!!!!   teach me boost!!!! I_icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2010, 1:47 pm

Ok, thank you!!
Back to top Go down
otter1363
CAMM Pro
otter1363

teach me boost!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: teach me boost!!!!   teach me boost!!!! I_icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2010, 6:53 pm

Popcorn
Back to top Go down
bogieboy
CAMM All-Star
bogieboy

teach me boost!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: teach me boost!!!!   teach me boost!!!! I_icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2010, 11:04 pm

Hey Jon......you know anything about the summit racing ignition boxes? They got one that's got the boost retard built in for 250.....that's about 125 cheaper than a msd 6btm....

The actual box looks like they rebadged a Mallory Hyfire 6.......are those any good?
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

teach me boost!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: teach me boost!!!!   teach me boost!!!! I_icon_minitimeFebruary 25th 2010, 2:26 am

don't know. but i have had my msd box for about 6 years now with no problems. i know the jacobs boxes have problems but i don't know anything about the summit boxes.

i do know msd blaster coils and other high performance coils have been known to fry our trucks pcm's. so most stick with the stock coil. im still using the stock coil.
Back to top Go down
bogieboy
CAMM All-Star
bogieboy

teach me boost!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: teach me boost!!!!   teach me boost!!!! I_icon_minitimeFebruary 25th 2010, 8:51 am

Ok....that coil issue is good to know.........any clues how it frys them? If you run say the summit ignitoin box, you hook thw coil to that right? And from there to the distributor......so how does it get back to the pcm?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

teach me boost!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: teach me boost!!!!   teach me boost!!!! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

teach me boost!!!!
Page 1 of 1