Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Wrong Gear

Go down 
+6
Motor
Illinois Chaos
otter1363
Admin
irishrt5.7
HiPwr
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
HiPwr
HiPwr

Wrong Gear Empty
PostSubject: Wrong Gear   Wrong Gear I_icon_minitimeNovember 9th 2009, 10:18 am

One thing that has become readily apparent to me since the louder exhaust is when I'm in the wrong gear. It's a really low rumble when it shifts too early. Makes me want to grab the Predator and mess with the shift points.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
irishrt5.7
CAMM All-Star
irishrt5.7

Wrong Gear Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wrong Gear   Wrong Gear I_icon_minitimeNovember 9th 2009, 10:33 am

Do it... you will love what the predator will do for your car...the shift points change is for when you are wide open throttle though not under normal driving conditions...unless you are in autostick...

Last edited by irishrt5.7 on November 9th 2009, 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
HiPwr
HiPwr

Wrong Gear Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wrong Gear   Wrong Gear I_icon_minitimeNovember 9th 2009, 10:33 am

I've already got a Predator. I have just never messed with the shift points.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Founding Member
Founding Member
Admin

Wrong Gear Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wrong Gear   Wrong Gear I_icon_minitimeNovember 9th 2009, 10:38 am

The sound will improve with that..

Those shift points with the hand held are for WOT.. Won't do much for partial throttle driving.
Back to top Go down
HiPwr
HiPwr

Wrong Gear Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wrong Gear   Wrong Gear I_icon_minitimeNovember 9th 2009, 10:46 am

elcobra44 wrote:
The sound will improve with that..

Those shift points with the hand held are for WOT.. Won't do much for partial throttle driving.

That's what I was looking for. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
otter1363
CAMM Pro
otter1363

Wrong Gear Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wrong Gear   Wrong Gear I_icon_minitimeNovember 9th 2009, 1:00 pm

Suyperchips is working on part throttle shift options for the Rams, not sure if they are working on the cars as well? The '06 and up are about to be released then 04-05. I am currently stacking my DSP on top of the SC tuner for better shift control. The truck trans totally suck - I mean suck a$$ bad.
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

Wrong Gear Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wrong Gear   Wrong Gear I_icon_minitimeNovember 9th 2009, 1:28 pm

otter1363 wrote:
Suyperchips is working on part throttle shift options for the Rams, not sure if they are working on the cars as well? The '06 and up are about to be released then 04-05. I am currently stacking my DSP on top of the SC tuner for better shift control. The truck trans totally suck - I mean suck a$$ bad.

You don't mean that you are using the pred and the super c at the same time do you? scratch pale
Back to top Go down
Motor
CAMM Pro
Motor

Wrong Gear Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wrong Gear   Wrong Gear I_icon_minitimeNovember 9th 2009, 1:43 pm

talk to Johan (diablotoona on lxforums), ask him for a simple tune...he does wonders
Back to top Go down
Admin
Founding Member
Founding Member
Admin

Wrong Gear Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wrong Gear   Wrong Gear I_icon_minitimeNovember 9th 2009, 1:50 pm

Increasing the shift firmness wouldn't be a bad idea either, but I think your problem isn't really the shifting. I mean, the car is going to shift where it wants to. It's just that with your new exhaust with much less back pressure, you're hearing that low end grumble. I know exactly what you mean because I feel and hear the same thing.. Like I said, the audible part will get better when the pipes break in.

I use the autostick quite a bit.. If you feel like you're in a higher gear than where you want to be for the speed you're going, slap it left and punch it. Slap it left twice and punch it when you really want to put the pedal to the metal.
Back to top Go down
irishrt5.7
CAMM All-Star
irishrt5.7

Wrong Gear Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wrong Gear   Wrong Gear I_icon_minitimeNovember 9th 2009, 2:58 pm

i use my autostick all the time...makes music to my ears...
Back to top Go down
otter1363
CAMM Pro
otter1363

Wrong Gear Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wrong Gear   Wrong Gear I_icon_minitimeNovember 9th 2009, 3:17 pm

Yah - I stack my DSP tune on top of the SC tune. I like the TCM control of the SC but need the DSP for my custom tune. I put everything back to stock, load the SC with my shift points on the 87 tune. Then I use that as my "stock tune" for the DSP and load the custom PCM (only) tune. I dont have any problems with it. Have loaded/unloaded several times.

I know some folks with SCT have issues with stacking. As I understand it, the SCT leaves some random code that the SC dosent like, were as the DSP leaves a clean image so SC is fine with it. That is, it finds it's stock tune just the way it left it. Another problem I have seen with SCT/SC is folks trying to up-date the SC after being stacked. With the stock code being slightly diffrent, it isnt recognized when you flash the tuner and wont up-date from the SC site. I havent tried to update mine yet so cant confirm if there is a problem or not with the DSP. Guess I'll find out when I flash the SC with the TCM up dates when they are released.
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

Wrong Gear Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wrong Gear   Wrong Gear I_icon_minitimeNovember 9th 2009, 7:44 pm

elcobra44 wrote:
Increasing the shift firmness wouldn't be a bad idea either, but I think your problem isn't really the shifting. I mean, the car is going to shift where it wants to. It's just that with your new exhaust with much less back pressure, you're hearing that low end grumble. I know exactly what you mean because I feel and hear the same thing.. Like I said, the audible part will get better when the pipes break in.

I use the autostick quite a bit.. If you feel like you're in a higher gear than where you want to be for the speed you're going, slap it left and punch it. Slap it left twice and punch it when you really want to put the pedal to the metal.

matt you ever have a valve body out of our cars? im thinking about getting a set of blue top solenoids...

the install does not look hard but lining stuff up when putting the valve body back it has me kinda worried just because i have not done it before... plus getting the fluid level good after reinstall...
Back to top Go down
Admin
Founding Member
Founding Member
Admin

Wrong Gear Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wrong Gear   Wrong Gear I_icon_minitimeNovember 9th 2009, 8:15 pm

Yes, and the fluid level is easy.. Just a matter of replacing what you take out.

I'd recommend doing the electronic shift kit instead.
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

Wrong Gear Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wrong Gear   Wrong Gear I_icon_minitimeNovember 9th 2009, 8:21 pm

elcobra44 wrote:
Yes, and the fluid level is easy.. Just a matter of replacing what you take out.

I'd recommend doing the electronic shift kit instead.

i dunno. the electronic shift kit doesn't help much at WOT and the blue tops do. the guys on LX forums seem to prefer it over the electronic shift kit which is more for part throttle shifts.
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

Wrong Gear Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wrong Gear   Wrong Gear I_icon_minitimeNovember 9th 2009, 8:34 pm

plus the blue tops are direct bolt in parts that were made for these trans's by Mercedes. the silver box shift kit is a home made lxforums members side project.
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

Wrong Gear Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wrong Gear   Wrong Gear I_icon_minitimeNovember 9th 2009, 8:56 pm

install write up...

http://lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=158869
Back to top Go down
irishrt5.7
CAMM All-Star
irishrt5.7

Wrong Gear Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wrong Gear   Wrong Gear I_icon_minitimeNovember 10th 2009, 8:24 am

Toad thanks for posting this... i might have to look into this...
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

Wrong Gear Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wrong Gear   Wrong Gear I_icon_minitimeNovember 10th 2009, 9:48 am

HiPwr wrote:
One thing that has become readily apparent to me since the louder exhaust is when I'm in the wrong gear. It's a really low rumble when it shifts too early. Makes me want to grab the Predator and mess with the shift points.

Thoughts?

EXACTLY one of the problems I'm noticing. Like at 40mph, it's a low rumble running around 1300-1500 rpms. If I autostick it down to 4th or even 3rd, it's fine. Seems like it wants to upshift too much too soon.

It's a low rumble, btw, that I both hear and feel in the floorboard.

Anyone else notice that the shift transition form 5th to 4th, and 4th to 3rd, is smooth and slight, but it's a BIG difference autosticking down from 3rd to 2nd?
Back to top Go down
HiPwr
HiPwr

Wrong Gear Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wrong Gear   Wrong Gear I_icon_minitimeNovember 10th 2009, 10:11 am

Yeah, 2nd gear seems to be our hot gear. A lot of torque there. It'll throw you back in the seat a bit.
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

Wrong Gear Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wrong Gear   Wrong Gear I_icon_minitimeNovember 10th 2009, 7:28 pm

HiPwr wrote:
Yeah, 2nd gear seems to be our hot gear. A lot of torque there. It'll throw you back in the seat a bit.

i think my strongest hit is at 60mph in auto. damn that kick down kicks right to the correct gear for maximum neck snapping at that speed.
Back to top Go down
ghost
Founding Member
Founding Member
ghost

Wrong Gear Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wrong Gear   Wrong Gear I_icon_minitimeNovember 12th 2009, 12:05 pm

jontoad wrote:
install write up...

nice right up there! what exactly are they suppose to improve JT?
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

Wrong Gear Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wrong Gear   Wrong Gear I_icon_minitimeNovember 12th 2009, 8:08 pm

ghost wrote:
jontoad wrote:
install write up...

you ever drive in a car with a shift kit? shifts are quicker and much firmer. neck snapping shifts. besides the improvement in performance it also makes your trans last longer.

soft shifts are your trans slipping which creates heat that leads to transmission failure. performance shifts aren't something the general public likes to feel, so cars shift kinda lame from the factory. this fixes that.
Back to top Go down
ghost
Founding Member
Founding Member
ghost

Wrong Gear Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wrong Gear   Wrong Gear I_icon_minitimeNovember 12th 2009, 8:32 pm

jontoad wrote:
ghost wrote:
jontoad wrote:
install write up...

you ever drive in a car with a shift kit? shifts are quicker and much firmer. neck snapping shifts. besides the improvement in performance it also makes your trans last longer.

soft shifts are your trans slipping which creates heat that leads to transmission failure. performance shifts aren't something the general public likes to feel, so cars shift kinda lame from the factory. this fixes that.
isn't that what the diablo does with the firmer shift points?
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

Wrong Gear Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wrong Gear   Wrong Gear I_icon_minitimeNovember 12th 2009, 9:19 pm

Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn

Watching...interested
Back to top Go down
HiPwr
HiPwr

Wrong Gear Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wrong Gear   Wrong Gear I_icon_minitimeNovember 12th 2009, 9:33 pm

ghost wrote:
isn't that what the diablo does with the firmer shift points?

I'm betting not. The Predator does not offer that option when hooked to an SRT.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Wrong Gear Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wrong Gear   Wrong Gear I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wrong Gear
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next