Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Light Scratches HELP!!!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
JacksSRT8
CAMM Pro
JacksSRT8

Light Scratches HELP!!! Empty
PostSubject: Light Scratches HELP!!!   Light Scratches HELP!!! I_icon_minitimeNovember 8th 2009, 7:17 am

Ive tried several things to get some scratches out. Nothin is working. I need some ideas from my pals.......
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Light Scratches HELP!!!   Light Scratches HELP!!! I_icon_minitimeNovember 8th 2009, 8:45 am

Swirl remover, an orange buffing pad and a good buffer. Thats how I did it. Be careful how you wash your car also or else the swirls will come back. Black is the hardest color to keep clean, any little thing can make swirl marks appear on it. Wash with a microfiber sponge and make sure you rinse the sponge off often. Then ONLY use microfiber towels when drying or applying/removing wax. Its a lot of work to keep clean but its worth it.
Back to top Go down
ChiTownHemi
CAMM All-Star
ChiTownHemi

PostSubject: Re: Light Scratches HELP!!!   Light Scratches HELP!!! I_icon_minitimeNovember 8th 2009, 9:34 am

I've been using this stuff (specially formulated for black cars) and it has worked extremely well

http://www.autogeek.net/3mperswirmar.html
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

PostSubject: Re: Light Scratches HELP!!!   Light Scratches HELP!!! I_icon_minitimeNovember 8th 2009, 7:54 pm

When you wash, use a 2-bucket method. One bucket has your soapy water, one has clean water. Soap up your microfiber sponge (or lambskin mitt) in the soapy water, then rinse in the clean water. The grit that comes off the car on the mitt will go into the rinse water and not get picked back up when you re-soap. Get a Grit Guard for the bottom of the rinse bucket and it will keep grit down at the bottom of the bucket.
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Light Scratches HELP!!!   Light Scratches HELP!!! I_icon_minitimeNovember 8th 2009, 8:24 pm

Grit Guard??? More info please.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Light Scratches HELP!!!   Light Scratches HELP!!! I_icon_minitimeNovember 8th 2009, 8:33 pm

ChiTownHemi wrote:
I've been using this stuff (specially formulated for black cars) and it has worked extremely well

http://www.autogeek.net/3mperswirmar.html

So you use that with a polishing pad and it takes away the swirl marks?

I gotta use the 2 bucket method. I have a grit guard but I use the same bucket. I just wash one panel at a time and then rinse off my brush (which I am going to stop using) after I wash each panel, then I dip for more soap and move onto the next panel.
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

PostSubject: Re: Light Scratches HELP!!!   Light Scratches HELP!!! I_icon_minitimeNovember 8th 2009, 8:33 pm

http://www.gritguard.com/

Here's a video with it. It's almost 30 minutes, so you probably don't need to watch the whole thing...but I did one time through. The guy gets pretty into it...mildly entertaining. It's where I picked up on both the Grit Guard and the 2-bucket method:

http://bit.ly/2vJXh5
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Light Scratches HELP!!!   Light Scratches HELP!!! I_icon_minitimeNovember 8th 2009, 8:35 pm

Shawn1112 wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Grit-Guard-GGINSR-Grit-Guard-Insert-Plastic-Red-Fits_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5ad4b0f880QQitemZ390115424384QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

This goes on the bottom of your bucket. When you dip your sponge in the bucket, all the grit falls to the bottom and under the grit guard. Then the next time you dip, you dont touch the grit cuz the grit guard traps it in there.
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

PostSubject: Re: Light Scratches HELP!!!   Light Scratches HELP!!! I_icon_minitimeNovember 8th 2009, 8:38 pm

I also do the marked drink-cup method he mentions to get the right amount of water-soap mix every time (marked my bucket for 4 gal and marked a drink cup for the soap).
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

PostSubject: Re: Light Scratches HELP!!!   Light Scratches HELP!!! I_icon_minitimeNovember 8th 2009, 8:39 pm

liljoejoe54 wrote:
Shawn1112 wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Grit-Guard-GGINSR-Grit-Guard-Insert-Plastic-Red-Fits_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5ad4b0f880QQitemZ390115424384QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

This goes on the bottom of your bucket. When you dip your sponge in the bucket, all the grit falls to the bottom and under the grit guard. Then the next time you dip, you dont touch the grit cuz the grit guard traps it in there.

Right on, but I would swirl the mitt in the rinse water pretty vigorously to get grit off, not just dip.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Light Scratches HELP!!!   Light Scratches HELP!!! I_icon_minitimeNovember 8th 2009, 8:40 pm

Iguanaman wrote:
I also do the marked drink-cup method he mentions to get the right amount of water-soap mix every time (marked my bucket for 4 gal and marked a drink cup for the soap).

Thats a good idea as well. I can learn a lot from you. I have been getting better with not having swirl marks after washing but its really hard on black. And sometimes I dont have enough time to wash it myself so I bring it to the car wash by my house which is a really good shop but I leave with swirls sometimes and it really pisses me off.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Light Scratches HELP!!!   Light Scratches HELP!!! I_icon_minitimeNovember 8th 2009, 8:41 pm

Iguanaman wrote:
liljoejoe54 wrote:
Shawn1112 wrote:

Right on, but I would swirl the mitt in the rinse water pretty vigorously to get grit off, not just dip.

That does make more sense. I usually use a garden hose and spray the hell out of it but im gonna start the 2 bucket method and also buy a good microfiber sponge.
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

PostSubject: Re: Light Scratches HELP!!!   Light Scratches HELP!!! I_icon_minitimeNovember 8th 2009, 8:43 pm

On the vid I posted, it's kind of funny around 9:15 in, when he starts talking about how fast he's losing light.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Light Scratches HELP!!!   Light Scratches HELP!!! I_icon_minitimeNovember 8th 2009, 8:55 pm

Dude that really is a great video. Im only at the 10 minute mark and I already learned a lot. I gotta go buy a couple of brand new buckets and a microfiber sponge. I already use the Meguires gold class soap like the dude got. I love that soap.
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

PostSubject: Re: Light Scratches HELP!!!   Light Scratches HELP!!! I_icon_minitimeNovember 8th 2009, 8:57 pm

liljoejoe54 wrote:
Dude that really is a great video. Im only at the 10 minute mark and I already learned a lot. I gotta go buy a couple of brand new buckets and a microfiber sponge. I already use the Meguires gold class soap like the dude got. I love that soap.

Glad to help!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Light Scratches HELP!!!   Light Scratches HELP!!! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Light Scratches HELP!!!
Page 1 of 1