Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

tie rod info

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

tie rod info Empty
PostSubject: tie rod info   tie rod info I_icon_minitimeDecember 8th 2012, 12:13 pm

I went to the dealer for an oil change this morning and they said the drivers side outer tie rod should be replaced. How can I confirm that it does in fact need to be replaced, and how hard of a job is it to do in my driveway? The dealer wanted 230$, does that sound fair?

thanks,
bill
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

tie rod info Empty
PostSubject: Re: tie rod info   tie rod info I_icon_minitimeDecember 8th 2012, 3:25 pm

Shit, Bill, I wish I would have known that when you were here. I have 2 greasable Moog NIB outer tie rod ends. I just never used them, yet. I have a pickle fork too that you can borrow if you want.

The end is all you need, not the whole tie rod. It just unscrews once you get the joint separated.
Back to top Go down
Moparcharger07
CAMM Member
Moparcharger07

tie rod info Empty
PostSubject: Re: tie rod info   tie rod info I_icon_minitimeDecember 8th 2012, 6:10 pm

$230 is pretty high for a price, considering the parts aren't expensive at all. I did a write-up in the "How To" section a while ago.....

http://www.chicagolandareamodernmopars.com/t5388-how-to-outer-tie-rods

If you wanna tackle it yourself then cool, but if not lemme know and I can take care of it for you man, BUT dont forget an alignment afterwards, same thing, if you need an alignment lemme know man, I do them all day long LoL
Back to top Go down
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

tie rod info Empty
PostSubject: Re: tie rod info   tie rod info I_icon_minitimeDecember 8th 2012, 6:39 pm

nice write up. I think I can handle the change on my own, but I'll take you up on an alignment. Are the Moog ends that Tom was talking about my best option?

bill
Back to top Go down
Moparcharger07
CAMM Member
Moparcharger07

tie rod info Empty
PostSubject: Re: tie rod info   tie rod info I_icon_minitimeDecember 8th 2012, 9:46 pm

Yeah, they are good, and well known as well.
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

tie rod info Empty
PostSubject: Re: tie rod info   tie rod info I_icon_minitimeDecember 8th 2012, 10:04 pm

Used Moog on mine, not one complaint.
Back to top Go down
ChicagoSRT8
CAMM Member
ChicagoSRT8

tie rod info Empty
PostSubject: Re: tie rod info   tie rod info I_icon_minitimeDecember 13th 2012, 3:22 pm

Moogs on mine too. Just replaced them this past summer.
Did it in my driveway. You can do it no problem.
I saved myself about $180 in labor. I did get an alignment for about $90.
Parts were $60-$70. (Moogs)
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

tie rod info Empty
PostSubject: Re: tie rod info   tie rod info I_icon_minitimeDecember 13th 2012, 3:27 pm

Bill, you may not even need an alignment if you just mark the threads first. Then just spin the new ones back on to your mark.
Back to top Go down
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

tie rod info Empty
PostSubject: Re: tie rod info   tie rod info I_icon_minitimeDecember 13th 2012, 4:22 pm

being it's an 80,000 mile daily driver that hasn't ever had an alignment I'm going to bring it to Adam and have him do one. I also want him to look it over and see if there is anything else besides the tie rod ends that look sketchy. I ordered the moog ends and they should be here mon. 80$ shipped for both.

bill
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

tie rod info Empty
PostSubject: Re: tie rod info   tie rod info I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

tie rod info
Page 1 of 1