Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Who is running E85?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
KTCHUP
CAMM Member
KTCHUP

Who is running E85? Empty
PostSubject: Who is running E85?   Who is running E85? I_icon_minitimeAugust 26th 2012, 9:54 am

Just learned that this was an option, is anyone besides Illinois Chaos running this in their cars? If so, how do you like it?
Back to top Go down
jlg1963
CAMM Pro
jlg1963

PostSubject: Re: Who is running E85?   Who is running E85? I_icon_minitimeAugust 26th 2012, 10:57 am

If have not seen anything that said Challengers were Flex Fuel rated. Using E85 in a car that is not meant for it, will create issues. All the materials used in fuel system have to be bio-fuel compatible, seals, coatings, metals that are not compatible will be destroyed in a very short time. Just saying.... not a good idea.
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Who is running E85?   Who is running E85? I_icon_minitimeAugust 26th 2012, 3:46 pm

jlg1963 wrote:
If have not seen anything that said Challengers were Flex Fuel rated. Using E85 in a car that is not meant for it, will create issues. All the materials used in fuel system have to be bio-fuel compatible, seals, coatings, metals that are not compatible will be destroyed in a very short time. Just saying.... not a good idea.

That hasn't been true since the 80's. All vehicles use the same hoses and what not and just because they don't come from the factory as a flex fuel vehicle doesn't mean that you can't easily convert to e-85. It won't melt your shit. I rate converting to e-85 a solid move. I gained 30 rwhp and 40 tq. on JUST a fuel change. Very cheap race gas.
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Who is running E85?   Who is running E85? I_icon_minitimeAugust 26th 2012, 4:16 pm

What happened to the edit button?

That said, if you do convert to e-85 that's all you can run in your car. No more gas ever! The car has to be specially upgraded with the necessary conversion parts and is then a dedicated e-85 vehicle and tuned for it. I also use an excellent additive specifically formulated for e-85. It is a perfect fit for me as I have a race car and I love it, but availability for a street car might be challenging. I know every station that carries e-85 and I have 4 2.5 gal. race fuel jugs that I keep in the trailer.
Back to top Go down
jlg1963
CAMM Pro
jlg1963

PostSubject: Re: Who is running E85?   Who is running E85? I_icon_minitimeAugust 26th 2012, 5:07 pm

Illinois Chaos wrote:
That hasn't been true since the 80's. All vehicles use the same hoses and what not and just because they don't come from the factory as a flex fuel vehicle doesn't mean that you can't easily convert to e-85. It won't melt your shit. I rate converting to e-85 a solid move. I gained 30 rwhp and 40 tq. on JUST a fuel change. Very cheap race gas.

Define easily converted... E85 in much more aggressive to the materials that it touches than the 10% ethanol they started adding to fuels in the 80's. The hoses might all be the same but in flex fuel vehicles the fittings and what not are stainless steel or compatible materials which add cost to vehicle. They use lower cost parts in cars that are not flex fuel rated.

But what do I know, just happened to be a fuel tank designer until 2 years ago.
It maybe good for some extra rwhp, but I would not use in in a car that is not marked Flex Fuel compatable.

Who is running E85? Captur12
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Who is running E85?   Who is running E85? I_icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2012, 6:11 am

All that shit gets changed out. You can't just decide one day to start using e-85. It costs around $500 in parts. Fuel pumps, lines, fittings, plugs and a tune.
Back to top Go down
jlg1963
CAMM Pro
jlg1963

PostSubject: Re: Who is running E85?   Who is running E85? I_icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2012, 7:31 am

I read the original post as if KTCHUP was intending to just start using E85 in his Challenger.

IF you changed out all the non compatible stuff then you are golden, and the added rwhp is a nice bonus.
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Who is running E85?   Who is running E85? I_icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2012, 5:08 pm

Well it's not quite that easy. Your right to say that you just can't decide one day and filler up with e-85.
Back to top Go down
KTCHUP
CAMM Member
KTCHUP

PostSubject: Re: Who is running E85?   Who is running E85? I_icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2012, 5:13 pm

The Wonderful Minds of Mr.Norms has got it handled for me and I have zero concerns. I know that if they are doing it and have done it before my car is in good hands.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who is running E85?   Who is running E85? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Who is running E85?
Page 1 of 1