Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

power steering pump replacement

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

power steering pump replacement Empty
PostSubject: power steering pump replacement   power steering pump replacement I_icon_minitimeMay 6th 2012, 11:25 am

has anyone changed the PS pump on an srt before? I'm pretty sure I fucked mine up playing in a parking lot a couple months ago. I know I blew out the water pump then, and now the steering is whining and I've got trans fluid all over the ending bay. Everything around the steering rack looks dry, so I'm hoping it's just the pump. It looks pretty straight forward to replace, if I can find the part. Would you trust the re-manufactured parts? or should I go to the dealer? I put an autozone water pump in, and the quality was suspect, no problems yet, but it wouldn't surprise me. Does anyone, preferably on the south side, have the tool tool to press the pulley on? I'll probably get a new pulley and put it on before I pull my broken pump. They are cheap. Can I remove the lines from the reservoir to the pump, and from the pump to the cooler with regular hand tools, or are there some kind of high pressure fittings? thanks,
bill
Back to top Go down
firestartr420
CAMM All-Star
firestartr420

PostSubject: Re: power steering pump replacement   power steering pump replacement I_icon_minitimeMay 6th 2012, 12:00 pm

regular hand tools are all you need. I had the pump replaced 3 times on the old v-6. I believe the new pump should come with a pulley too. and if it doesnt, i dont ever recall the tech using a special tool for the pulley. good luck...
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: power steering pump replacement   power steering pump replacement I_icon_minitimeMay 6th 2012, 12:00 pm

replace the high pressure line also. it is known to leak and cause the pump failure.
Back to top Go down
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

PostSubject: Re: power steering pump replacement   power steering pump replacement I_icon_minitimeMay 6th 2012, 12:15 pm

the high pressure line is from the pump to the steering rack?
Back to top Go down
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

PostSubject: Re: power steering pump replacement   power steering pump replacement I_icon_minitimeMay 20th 2012, 12:57 pm

just finished putting in a new pump, pulley, and pressure line. The steering feels great now, but there is still a slight whine. I'm hoping it's just a bit of air in the system and will work it way out in a few days. The pump was really easy to change, the line was kind of a pain in the ass, but still not bad. the whole job was about two hours, more than half that was spent cleaning trans fluid that had completely trashed the engine bay.

bill
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: power steering pump replacement   power steering pump replacement I_icon_minitimeMay 20th 2012, 6:08 pm

Any busted knuckles story? lol.
Back to top Go down
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

PostSubject: Re: power steering pump replacement   power steering pump replacement I_icon_minitimeMay 20th 2012, 8:06 pm

nope, no butsted knuckles. I did get a shot of PB Blaster in the eye, that felt great. I bought a set of line wrenches, I've never used them before, and I'm not sure I like them, but my brother said they are less likely to slip?

bill
Back to top Go down
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

PostSubject: Re: power steering pump replacement   power steering pump replacement I_icon_minitimeMay 24th 2012, 6:45 pm

ps whine went away, had to top off the fluid reservoir. I still have a squeaky something going on, and without the ps pump whine it's really prominent.

bill
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: power steering pump replacement   power steering pump replacement I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

power steering pump replacement
Page 1 of 1