Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

power steering matenence.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

power steering matenence. Empty
PostSubject: power steering matenence.   power steering matenence. I_icon_minitimeJune 27th 2009, 2:27 pm

this winter when it was real cold i noticed my power steering whining the couple times i started and moved the car. From what i gathered on the forumZ it seems to be a common on cold mornings and not a big issue. since i race a bit i noticed it whine a bit and being stiff at low rpms after a couple laps too, it wasn't that bad but the bit of stiffness bothered me. so i was thinking i was cooking the fluid and need to change it out. i eventually want to add a big power steering cooler, but for now i was looking at cheap maintenance. so i was looking at products at autozone and the Lucas oil products looked worth a shot. i wanted to go to all royal purple power steering fluid but id have to order it and thought id give some stuff a try. so i changed out the fluid and added one small bottle of Lucas oil power steering stop leak( the stop leak said its not just for leaks but for conditioning seals, preventative maintenance, dead spots, and rack conditioning.

well the difference was night and day. runs quieter, turns super easy. so anyone with stiff steering or noise you might want to give this a try, unless anyone knows something i don't about the products i tried? they seem to work great to me.

Last edited by jontoad on June 27th 2009, 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Admin
Founding Member
Founding Member
Admin

PostSubject: Re: power steering matenence.   power steering matenence. I_icon_minitimeJune 27th 2009, 2:35 pm

Notice any black sludge on that line that runs from the pump down by the A/C and then towards the passenger side? I've seen leaks on a few of those..

A blown pump should be expected with the autocross racing.. Our pumps suck.

How did the old fluid look? Burnt??

Good to know of the fluid though.. is that comparable to the ATF+4 that's recommended?
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: power steering matenence.   power steering matenence. I_icon_minitimeJune 27th 2009, 3:15 pm

elcobra44 wrote:
Notice any black sludge on that line that runs from the pump down by the A/C and then towards the passenger side? I've seen leaks on a few of those..

A blown pump should be expected with the autocross racing.. Our pumps suck.

How did the old fluid look? Burnt??

Good to know of the fluid though.. is that comparable to the ATF+4 that's recommended?

the fluid didn't look that bad but im sure it was the culprit. i have no leaks and i think the pump is fine cause its quitet now, i just overworked 3 the year old fluid that was in there. this is the Lucas oil rack conditioner additive that is compatible with all fluids the bottle says, you only use one small bottle mixed with fuid of choice.
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=28&catid=2&loc=show

i meant to say i used that additive with some ATF+4, lucas oil doesnt have a powersteering flud just aditives.

i didn't notice any sludge but i didn't exactly look for it.
Back to top Go down
Moparcharger07
CAMM Member
Moparcharger07

PostSubject: Re: power steering matenence.   power steering matenence. I_icon_minitimeJune 29th 2009, 8:49 pm

I just used ATF+4 when I did mine. Took off the lines and COMPLETELY drained the whole system a couple month or two or three back. And even that was a huge difference, I can imagine WITH the additive it's gotta be WAY better!!

But I noticed when doing my last oil change, a little seepage at that line you were describing Matt, I WANT to fix it, but it isn't THAT bad right now, I'll just fix when it starts to actually leak and drip. Nothing too bad right now, just a little seepage aint shit right now LOL
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: power steering matenence.   power steering matenence. I_icon_minitimeJune 29th 2009, 8:55 pm

Moparcharger06 wrote:
I just used ATF+4 when I did mine. Took off the lines and COMPLETELY drained the whole system a couple month or two or three back. And even that was a huge difference, I can imagine WITH the additive it's gotta be WAY better!!

But I noticed when doing my last oil change, a little seepage at that line you were describing Matt, I WANT to fix it, but it isn't THAT bad right now, I'll just fix when it starts to actually leak and drip. Nothing too bad right now, just a little seepage aint shit right now LOL

seems like it keeps getting better, its better now than the day i put it in. its totaly quiet and easy to turn even when turning it with the car at real slow speeds now. must be working into the rack and pump to condition it. since you already changed your fluid you could just get a hand pump and pump out the resivor, then put one small bottle in and top it off with the fluid you took out. let that work itself in, it should stop your leak too i guess.
Back to top Go down
Moparcharger07
CAMM Member
Moparcharger07

PostSubject: Re: power steering matenence.   power steering matenence. I_icon_minitimeJune 29th 2009, 9:03 pm

True True, we got a "sucker machine" at the shop, maybe I'll give it a shot in the next couple of days
Back to top Go down
Dalegit1
CAMM Pro
Dalegit1

PostSubject: Re: power steering matenence.   power steering matenence. I_icon_minitimeJuly 11th 2009, 10:23 am

jontoad wrote:
this winter when it was real cold i noticed my power steering whining the couple times i started and moved the car. From what i gathered on the forumZ it seems to be a common on cold mornings and not a big issue. since i race a bit i noticed it whine a bit and being stiff at low rpms after a couple laps too, it wasn't that bad but the bit of stiffness bothered me. so i was thinking i was cooking the fluid and need to change it out. i eventually want to add a big power steering cooler, but for now i was looking at cheap maintenance. so i was looking at products at autozone and the Lucas oil products looked worth a shot. i wanted to go to all royal purple power steering fluid but id have to order it and thought id give some stuff a try. so i changed out the fluid and added one small bottle of Lucas oil power steering stop leak( the stop leak said its not just for leaks but for conditioning seals, preventative maintenance, dead spots, and rack conditioning.

well the difference was night and day. runs quieter, turns super easy. so anyone with stiff steering or noise you might want to give this a try, unless anyone knows something i don't about the products i tried? they seem to work great to me.

Yes, that Lucas is a great product!! Lucas actually have many great products there's the "Oil Stabilizer" which some recommend using in place of a quart when changing oil.

Lucas also has the "Power Steering" fluid, which is also awesome as you have testified.

Lucas also makes a "Transmission Fix". All are great products, a little on the high side in terms of price per bottle but certainly worth the investment.

Oh yeah almost forgot to mention "Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner". It's the boom for real. My customers love that stuff!! Here's a link to their website if you are interested in learning more about their wonderful products!! http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products_overviews.sd?iid=2&catid=6

Last edited by Dalegit1 on July 12th 2009, 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : changed link to the Lucas website for easier details access at first click!!)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: power steering matenence.   power steering matenence. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

power steering matenence.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars :: The Garage :: Engine & Trans Performance-
Jump to: