Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

anyone replace fan assembly

Go down 
+3
KevinDSClark
liljoejoe54
Shawn1112
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

anyone replace fan assembly Empty
PostSubject: anyone replace fan assembly   anyone replace fan assembly I_icon_minitimeJanuary 3rd 2012, 6:51 am

Before I stored my car for the winter I noticed that one of the fans on my fan assembly was not working. I checked connections, and looked for frayed or worn wires and everything looks good. My car has 50,000 miles, is a fan going bad at that mileage common? I found a new fan assembly at Rock Auto for just under $100. How hard is it to install new assembly? I haven't really looked at it, but from the pic on Rock Auto website looks to be about 4 bolts, is this correct, or is it more involved?
I have also posted this on LX, so if nobody here knows I will post the answer to share.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: anyone replace fan assembly   anyone replace fan assembly I_icon_minitimeJanuary 3rd 2012, 9:26 am

I know it is common for the fans to go out. Not sure how hard it is to replace though.
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: anyone replace fan assembly   anyone replace fan assembly I_icon_minitimeJanuary 3rd 2012, 1:21 pm

liljoejoe54 wrote:
I know it is common for the fans to go out. Not sure how hard it is to replace though.
Sounds like a 30 min job from what I have gathered from the 2 people who replied on LX.
2) 10mm bolts on the top, bottom slides in to a groove on radiator. The only part that is going to suck is taking upper radiator hose off. That was a muther fucker to put on, because its steel braided.
Back to top Go down
KevinDSClark
CAMM Pro
KevinDSClark

PostSubject: Re: anyone replace fan assembly   anyone replace fan assembly I_icon_minitimeJanuary 3rd 2012, 4:14 pm

Shawn,

I would do some double checking first on some cars and I am not sure on the Chargers but some of them only one fan comes on at first and the second will only come on in the engine continues to heat up. If the one fan is enough to cool the engine only one will run. I would just do some checking before you replace it. Smile
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: anyone replace fan assembly   anyone replace fan assembly I_icon_minitimeJanuary 3rd 2012, 5:50 pm

KevinDSClark wrote:
Shawn,

I would do some double checking first on some cars and I am not sure on the Chargers but some of them only one fan comes on at first and the second will only come on in the engine continues to heat up. If the one fan is enough to cool the engine only one will run. I would just do some checking before you replace it. Smile
Thanks, car temp was running fine. I have let the car idle for about 45 min and watched that fan and it never kicked on. I also ran the AC and it still didnt turn on. Anyone else with any info??
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: anyone replace fan assembly   anyone replace fan assembly I_icon_minitimeJanuary 3rd 2012, 6:23 pm

Did you change the fan settings with the predator? they might be set to kick on later.
Back to top Go down
Moparcharger07
CAMM Member
Moparcharger07

PostSubject: Re: anyone replace fan assembly   anyone replace fan assembly I_icon_minitimeJanuary 3rd 2012, 7:09 pm

There is a campaign as of June of 2011, I just looked it up, here's what it says....

June 2011

Dealer Service Instructions for:

Customer Satisfaction Notification L08
Engine Cooling Fans

Models

2006 - 2008 (LX) Dodge Charger, Dodge Magnum, and Chrysler 300

NOTE : This notification applies to all of the above vehicles equipped with severe duty engine cooling (sales code NMS) or vehicles equipped with (sales code XDL or XDK) with "sold to" sales codes and/or are currently registered in warm climate states, built through April 29, 2008 (MDH 042912).

IMPORTANT : Some of the involved vehicles may be in dealer used vehicle inventory. Dealers should complete this repair on these vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also perform this repair on vehicles in for service. Involved vehicles can be determined by using the VIP inquiry process.

Subject

The electrically powered radiator cooling fans on about 52,000 of the above vehicles may separate during fan operation and cause damage to the radiator.

Repair

Both radiator mounted engine cooling fans must be replaced.

anyone replace fan assembly Fans

It calls for .5 hr so it shouldn't be all that bad to replace, BUT it could be a relay or even temp sensor as well man.... Another possibility is what Kevin said too

Last edited by Moparcharger06 on January 3rd 2012, 7:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Moparcharger07
CAMM Member
Moparcharger07

PostSubject: Re: anyone replace fan assembly   anyone replace fan assembly I_icon_minitimeJanuary 3rd 2012, 7:11 pm

Here's the procedure too man

1. Open the hood.

anyone replace fan assembly 172401521

2. For vehicles with a HEMI engine, remove and save the engine cover from the engine (Figure 1).

3. Remove and save the air cleaner housing and air inlet hose (Figure 1).

anyone replace fan assembly 172401522

4. Disconnect the radiator fan electrical connector (Figure 2). Partially drain coolant UPPER RADIATOR HOSE.

anyone replace fan assembly 172401523

5. Remove and save the two radiator fan assembly retaining fasteners (Figure 3).

anyone replace fan assembly 172401524

6. Carefully remove the radiator fan assembly from the vehicle (Figure 4).

Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: anyone replace fan assembly   anyone replace fan assembly I_icon_minitimeJanuary 3rd 2012, 9:03 pm

Thanks Adam
Back to top Go down
irishrt5.7
CAMM All-Star
irishrt5.7

PostSubject: Re: anyone replace fan assembly   anyone replace fan assembly I_icon_minitimeJanuary 3rd 2012, 9:37 pm

it is very easy to do... shawn should be no biggie for you...

you dont have to totally remove the hose just undo from the block...
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: anyone replace fan assembly   anyone replace fan assembly I_icon_minitimeJanuary 3rd 2012, 9:50 pm

irishrt5.7 wrote:

Thats my plan bro, cause the hose connection on the radiator side is a pita!!!
Back to top Go down
Moparcharger07
CAMM Member
Moparcharger07

PostSubject: Re: anyone replace fan assembly   anyone replace fan assembly I_icon_minitimeJanuary 3rd 2012, 11:08 pm

Shawn1112 wrote:
Thanks Adam

No problem man
Back to top Go down
irishrt5.7
CAMM All-Star
irishrt5.7

PostSubject: Re: anyone replace fan assembly   anyone replace fan assembly I_icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2012, 9:15 am

Shawn1112 wrote:
irishrt5.7 wrote:

Thats my plan bro, cause the hose connection on the radiator side is a pita!!!

yes it is... i didnt remove either one on my radiator side...just on the engine side...
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: anyone replace fan assembly   anyone replace fan assembly I_icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2012, 10:51 am

After reading what Kevin said and searching on LX, fan might not be bad. It seams there is an easy way to check it. I'm going to lower the high speed fan temp down to the same as the low speed fan with my predator. When car hits that temp, they both should turn on.
Back to top Go down
irishrt5.7
CAMM All-Star
irishrt5.7

PostSubject: Re: anyone replace fan assembly   anyone replace fan assembly I_icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2012, 1:30 pm

duh...lol j/k
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: anyone replace fan assembly   anyone replace fan assembly I_icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2012, 2:16 pm

irishrt5.7 wrote:
duh...lol j/k
Suck cock
Back to top Go down
moros323
CAMM Pro
moros323

PostSubject: Re: anyone replace fan assembly   anyone replace fan assembly I_icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2012, 2:47 pm

If the car was keeping temp normal it should be fine I don't think second fan kicks on except under high loads or temps if you could race it around and pull it in somewhere warm 70-80 degrees and test it....I think you should be fine though second fan prolly not needed in this cool weather is all.
Back to top Go down
KevinDSClark
CAMM Pro
KevinDSClark

PostSubject: Re: anyone replace fan assembly   anyone replace fan assembly I_icon_minitimeJanuary 5th 2012, 6:46 am

Shawn,

What happened you have me really curious now!
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: anyone replace fan assembly   anyone replace fan assembly I_icon_minitimeJanuary 5th 2012, 3:32 pm

KevinDSClark wrote:
Shawn,

What happened you have me really curious now!
I'm going to fuck with it over the weekend. I don't have time during the week. By the time I get home, I have to make sure my son does his homework, get dinner ready, and then we go to wrestling practice.
Back to top Go down
Headtripp
Founding Member
Founding Member
Headtripp

PostSubject: Re: anyone replace fan assembly   anyone replace fan assembly I_icon_minitimeJanuary 5th 2012, 9:30 pm

Almost leaves no time for a Modelo
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: anyone replace fan assembly   anyone replace fan assembly I_icon_minitimeJanuary 5th 2012, 9:44 pm

Headtripp wrote:
Almost leaves no time for a Modelo
Believe me, I make up for it come Friday
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: anyone replace fan assembly   anyone replace fan assembly I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

anyone replace fan assembly
Page 1 of 1